Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fantastic experience w/ Porsche part vendor...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 02:42 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fantastic experience w/ Porsche part vendor...

Just wanted to share the experience I had today with Dayton at fvd-usa.com where I bought my GT3 seats and GT3 brake kit. I took the car in yesterday AM to have the brakes and suspension kit installed. The shop put on the suspension yesterday and started the brakes today. On the last caliper (figures!!!!!!!!!) they noticed that the two rear calipers were for the same side. Ugh! Dayton had drop shipped them from the West Coast (to save time and shipping expense since he's on the East Coast), so he didn't actually get to inspect the kit. Nevertheless, I received the call from the shop at 12:00 PM, and immediately called Dayton. By like 1:00 PM he had already contracted with a currier to have a replacement caliper driven down 160 miles each way (for several hundred $) to me. By 4:00 PM, it was indeed at the shop! Further, I didn't ask for that at all. In fact, I just asked that he have it overnighted to me for Saturday delivery so it could be installed Monday since Tuesday was a holiday and I had company coming in Wednesday with whom I had plans! Despite Saturday being cheaper for him, he insisted on having it delivered today! This kind of service (to go with fantastic parts prices) can't go without mentioning!!!!

BTW, this is the same vendor that Nathan "ndw (pasadena,CA)" has happily used, and referred me to for the brakes.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:07 AM
Huzurdd
Advanced

Ben,
Give us an update of the Gt3 brakes. Any word on the value of such a mod.??? Is it noticable on the street???
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2001, 12:46 PM
MikeG
Rennlist Member

It's nice to hear of the good experiences instead of the ever present (it seems) bad ones.

Thanks Ben,

Mike
Old 12-30-2001, 01:06 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Huzurdd:

Don't know yet.

First, I have to be gentle and break them in over 300 or so miles.

Second, we were in a big hurry (shop stayed open til 9:00 PM on a Friday night to get the car done so it wouldn't be sitting there til Wednesday when they reopened). So, peddle feel is a little cushy (maybe need a bit more bleeding/ maybe just break in). The steel brake lines are supposed to give a more solid peddle feel.

I'll update once all is broken in and setup is 100%.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:24 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Huzurdd:
<STRONG>Ben,
Give us an update of the Gt3 brakes. Any word on the value of such a mod.??? Is it noticable on the street???
Thanks!</STRONG>
I've has the GT3 brakes on my car for a couple years. I doubt if anyone drives hard enough on the street to notice much difference. On the track is a different story. The stock brakes are pretty good on the track but the GT3 brakes with Pagid pads are awesome.

Brake pedal should be very firm, you don't need to break in the pads and rotors to get a firm feel. If the pedal is still soft, take the car back and make sure they completely bleed them.

Karl
Old 01-01-2002, 10:02 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Karl!

Also, I "thought" the firm peddle is from the rear brakes which is also home of the emergency brake. My emergency brake is WEAK, so maybe a little more work needs to be done in the rear tomorrow.

Lastly, man do they squeek!!!!! Did yours at first and if so how long did it last? Thanks
Old 01-03-2002, 11:28 AM
Dayton
Advanced

Cool

Thanks for the support Ben.
Cheers
Dayton
Old 01-03-2002, 06:02 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Dayton
Can you send me a separate email and tell me the difference between your bilstein/eibach setup and the row m030?
Thanks

ddesign0@bellatlantic.net
Old 01-07-2002, 05:32 PM
Dayton
Advanced

Sorry your E-mail is blocked.
Cheers
Dayton
Old 01-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Dayton
Advanced

Ben make sure your shop bleeds them several times.
Dayton
Old 01-07-2002, 05:49 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dayton. The front shims stopped the squeaking. Rebleed is recommended at 300 miles (Friday) and I'm hoping that i'll firm em up.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Huzurdd
Advanced

Okay, Didn't see much validity to GT3 brakes. But now after racing a Lotus esprite S4 at speeds of 167mph ( Lotus cuts out at 150mph, governed) I expeirenced brake fade. So now you guys got me going. Don't need the brakes for street but for track they could very usefull huh..

Whats the word on noise???? all race brakes squeek like all hell...
Old 01-07-2002, 09:19 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Noise is nil. The shims were missing from the fronts and now they're quiet after puting them in. The larger brakes together with steel brake lines should seriously (if not wholly eliminate) brake fade in a track setting.

Quick Reply: Fantastic experience w/ Porsche part vendor...