Sponsored by:

Gemballa Coil-overs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 01:26 AM
996blue
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gemballa Coil-overs?

Saw a set of Gemballa Coil overs (apparently specially built by H&R) for a 996 C4 at my suspension shop when I put on my new Pirelli's. Looked really great with good workmanship but pricey.

Has anyone tried them?

Also in case you still have the Continental tires that came with your car, its worth the money to dump them! (significantly better handling for those that like to drive aggressively
Old 12-27-2001, 09:05 AM
Dayton
Advanced

Humm,
Close actually Eibach springs. Super set-up.
Cheers
Dayton
Old 12-27-2001, 02:03 PM
VS
Instructor

996blue,

I have a TT, the suspension setup is pretty close to your C4. Gemballa coilovers are built by H&R --- confirmed by both H&R USA and Gemballa USA.
There were numerous discussions on the TT board and on also on Funcarsonline.com. It appears that Gemballa coilovers are pretty much the same as H&R coilovers which you can get at www.carnewal.com for about $2,000

Dayton,

As far as I know, FVD coilover kit for 996 AWD uses Eibach springs, "all others" i.e. Gemballa, Cargraphic, TechArt use H&R springs. I don't know what Ruf uses --- looks like H&R also (?)
Old 12-27-2001, 02:33 PM
Dayton
Advanced

Ah,
These spring guys bouce around over there. I have Gemballa springs in stock right now boxed in Eibach boxes. I guess its who has time to make them these days////
Cheers
Dayton
Old 12-27-2001, 02:36 PM
Dayton
Advanced

VS,
And please don't get me worng, I wasn't bad mouthing H&R as they are freinds of mine as well...super company.
Cheers
Dayton
Old 12-27-2001, 04:10 PM
VS
Instructor

Dayton,

Thank you for the first-hand information. I have no stake in H&R Just to make sure: Are these Gemballa/Eibach springs a part of the coilover kit OR just the lowering springs one would use with stock dumpers?

VS
Old 12-27-2001, 04:20 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gemballa's coilover system is made and supplied by H&R. My guess is that, in typical fashion, the shocks are made by Bilstein and the springs by H&R. However, this doesn't mean that the individual Gemballa springs, sold to fit the stock factory shocks, aren't made by Eibach.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:23 PM
996blue
Advanced

Talking

thanks all

this board is really active!

what was interesting about the Gemballa kit which was not mine (I have a 2000 C2 Cab), was the specially constructed strut seats (don't know the term) for the C4 that seemed custom aluminum. Also the springs were powder coated with Gemballa's name.

I want to keep my car stock "Porsche" and was wondering if anyone else had the same concerns (ie M030 vs H&R etc.)

Dropped over $25K on a Dinan BMW a while back and really did not recoup the investment when I sold the car.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:20 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"I want to keep my car stock "Porsche" and was wondering if anyone else had the same concerns (ie M030 vs H&R etc.)"

I thought about that and decided to say "screw it". Factory stuff is made by the same companies and this stuff is MUCH better than the stock M030. Will you get your money back on resale? That would be highly unlikely (M030 or H&R). Will the car be less desireable on resale? Most buyers who care would like it more and most that don't care, won't even know the diff. IOW, the status symbol, cruiser type won't even know and the enthusiast will appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Gemballa Coil-overs?