H & R Coil-overs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 05:26 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post H & R Coil-overs

Hi All,
anyone running H & R Coil-Over kit? How does it compare with H & R Sports springs with stock shocks on a European 996 C2 Cab/Coupe?

I have H & R Sports springs with stock shocks on a European 996 C2 Cab but somehow I feel I can improve on handling therefore I want to change to H & R Coilover kit.

Any response welcomed.

Merry Xmas to all.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:22 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"anyone running H & R Coil-Over kit? How does it compare with H & R Sports springs with stock shocks on a European 996 C2 Cab/Coupe?"

Will be after today, but can't compare to what you have or Euro stock.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:55 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are two very different H&R coilover kits. I have the sport version which seems to be a pretty good compromise between between street and track. There is also a race version which I cannot comment on. The sport version is a huge improvement over the stock suspension and, I would guess, over the H&R springs. On track handling is greatly improved and the ride on the street is still ok. I'd be glad to try and answer any specific questions you might have.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:20 PM
996cab.com
Instructor

Hi JimB,
I think you have confirmed the consensus of a number of people I have spoken to. The H & R Sports springs were a huge step forward from my stock springs (a non sports version). As I have got used to the 'new' handling, I notice there is still a hint of overseer and at high speeds, over 120mph, the car does not feel planted to the road.

I think I can have the car set-up so that it corners FLAT at ANY speed and is more stable at high speeds. To negate against front lift, I have also fitted GT3 front bumper. I think I need to set-up the front suspension 5-10mm lower than rear, maybe start by lowering fronts by 35mm and leave rears at 30mm. Offcourse I am presuming with the coil-overs I able to adjust to such heights.

Can you confirm if that is possible?

tx in advance
Old 12-27-2001, 04:15 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"I think I can have the car set-up so that it corners FLAT at ANY speed and is more stable at high speeds."

Isn't that more a product of the the sway bars? If so, why not slap on the GT3 adjustables?

"maybe start by lowering fronts by 35mm and leave rears at 30mm. Offcourse I am presuming with the coil-overs I able to adjust to such heights."

The H&R coilovers I bought are supposed to be adjustable from 30-60 mm in front and 20-50 mm in rear.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:37 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As Ben stated, the H&R Sport coilovers are adjustable. I have mine set at 1.5 inches front and 1 inch rear lower than stock. This is great on the track but a little tricky on the street.

As far 120 mph oversteer, I sure hope you are experiencing this on the track and not on an offramp near me.

As I'm sure you already know, there is no such thing as a car tuned to be nuetral in all situations. There are way too many uncontrollable variables for that to be possible. It is possible to remove your 996's tendancy to understeer which is good on the track where you get to go through the same corners under the same conditions over and over but not so good on the street where you will be less able to predict how you car is going to react as it reaches it's limits. Just my 2 cents worth. Jim

Quick Reply: H & R Coil-overs