Sponsored by:

Any RMS success stories?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 05:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't know if the list I have applies to the water-cooled motors but if it does here are the approved formulations of Mobil 1 (I haven't been able to find any other lists from PAG so...)

Old 11-30-2005, 08:54 PM
BSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I expected some of you to chastise me for not putting more miles on the car, and I understand where you're coming from. Here's the situation though: I live in a major city and don't do ANY daily driving. I take the subway to work and can walk to my dry cleaner, grocery store, etc. You're right, I don't "need" the car for any point A to point B driving applications. Therefore, each and every mile that goes on the car is from going out and driving purely for enjoyment -- rarely to get anywhere. Maybe I'm boring and need to find more places to get too -- I don't know.

But, here is my point on why I think Porsche should cover this. There is clearly a problem since the SAME problem is up for repair a third time (after they've "fixed" it twice). All other theories on how much/how hard a car should be driven aside, Porsche gives us only two major "causes" for problems as defined by their original warranty policy (and yes, I know someone is going to disagree with me): 1) miles and 2) age. You get 4 years or x number of miles before they will no longer warranty the car. Too FEW miles are NEVER the cause of voiding a warranty with Porsche. So, if the company implies that either time or miles are what breaks things, then I think I have a case. Neither a lot of time nor a lot of miles are the issue here. Therefore, it must be something else and I think Porsche should do it until its right. If I spend a grand on it now and it continues to leak, yes I get a two year warranty. Great. What happens after that time is up and it happens again?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is exactly RMS issue is brought up on this fourm so many times.

porsche only cover their car for 4 year, no good compare to hyundai.

so after 4 years, they don't cover it any more.

you have to draw the line somewhere. hyundai draw the line at 100Kmiles, porsche does it at 50KMiles.

that's what it is. i hate to say this cause i am looking for a 996 myself.

Originally Posted by BSC
Yes, I expected some of you to chastise me for not putting more miles on the car, and I understand where you're coming from. Here's the situation though: I live in a major city and don't do ANY daily driving. I take the subway to work and can walk to my dry cleaner, grocery store, etc. You're right, I don't "need" the car for any point A to point B driving applications. Therefore, each and every mile that goes on the car is from going out and driving purely for enjoyment -- rarely to get anywhere. Maybe I'm boring and need to find more places to get too -- I don't know.

But, here is my point on why I think Porsche should cover this. There is clearly a problem since the SAME problem is up for repair a third time (after they've "fixed" it twice). All other theories on how much/how hard a car should be driven aside, Porsche gives us only two major "causes" for problems as defined by their original warranty policy (and yes, I know someone is going to disagree with me): 1) miles and 2) age. You get 4 years or x number of miles before they will no longer warranty the car. Too FEW miles are NEVER the cause of voiding a warranty with Porsche. So, if the company implies that either time or miles are what breaks things, then I think I have a case. Neither a lot of time nor a lot of miles are the issue here. Therefore, it must be something else and I think Porsche should do it until its right. If I spend a grand on it now and it continues to leak, yes I get a two year warranty. Great. What happens after that time is up and it happens again?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pl
this is exactly RMS issue is brought up on this fourm so many times.

porsche only cover their car for 4 year, no good compare to hyundai.

so after 4 years, they don't cover it any more.

you have to draw the line somewhere. hyundai draw the line at 100Kmiles, porsche does it at 50KMiles.

that's what it is. i hate to say this cause i am looking for a 996 myself.
Darn it...I knew I should've gotten that Sonata. It had all the options I was looking for in a sports car. No sunroof, manual windows, no power steering, no A/C...what was I thinking....
Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe Moibl 1 could actually make the 5W-50 that we are "approved" for.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Maybe Moibl 1 could actually make the 5W-50 that we are "approved" for.

The list of approved oils from Porsche is almost 8 pages long. Mobil is just one of them and is not any better than most of what is on the list. Syntec is as good or better and is avalable in 5W50. Remember, Porsche DOES NOT recommend Mobil 1, but only approves of them. Factory cars are filled with Mobil 0W40 because Mobil pays to have them do that. If Castrol or Quaker State or even Kmart paid them more, the engine would be filled with their brand.

Basically, use any brand name synthetic oil that is available in the weight you want and you will be fine.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You're using the Castrol line? How long? Ever done an oil analysis test? Just curious since I am trying to gather empirical data rather than anecdotal so I can a decision that is best for my car.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:51 PM
axel6
Advanced

Loved does not equal driven. I think the analogy that is being offered is you may love that "piece of art" but it is NOT meant to just sit.
Sell you 1981 Z then. You're obvioiusly not driving it enough. LOL. Seriously, you can't expect everyone to put 12k - 14k on their pleasure cars per year. It simply doesn't happen for many people. That doesn't mean they should sell their cars.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'll ignore that stupid statement since you don't know the history of the car. Since you haven't been around very long I'll fill you in quickly so you can take your foot out of your mouth. The car is NOT mine, it was my father's. It was his weekend car that he babied and treated as a garage queen. But he died this year and he knew how much I loved that car growing up so he gave it to me. I would never condier selling that car since there is such an emotional attachement to it....you know, memories of childhood, etc.. It's doesn't have low miles b/c I don't drive it. It has low miles b/c he didn't drive it. Now it is just a material possesion that reminds me "of a time".

You really should think before you speak.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your list is old... on the "Engine Oils Approved by Porsche" TSB that came out July 28, 2005 there is no 50W oil of any brand (worldwide) on the list. Only approved weights are 0W-40 and 5W-40.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:53 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

You're using the Castrol line? How long? Ever done an oil analysis test? Just curious since I am trying to gather empirical data rather than anecdotal so I can a decision that is best for my car.

Dell. I use Mobil in the summer (15W50) and Castrol (5W40) in the winter. Porsche is a hoot! Let's see, when were they wrong? When they approved 15W50 in the 996 a few years ago, or when they approved 0W40 after that, or now when they do not approve 15W50? Did I ruin my engine with their first recommendation? Their second, or will I ruin it followng the current one? They just love issuing modifications to their EXPERT knowledge of oils. The fact is, that there is no claim as to the protection level of any oil above 212F, which is considerably cooler than the oil temp in the 3.4.

There is no difference in the internals of a Porsche engine than most other engines ever built with hydraulic lifters as far as oiling goes. I know Porsche and many diehard fans believe Porsche knows all there is to know about the automobile, but in the real world, many of their designs and recommendations simply do not work.

I pay no attention to what Porsche recommends or does not recommends as far as the proper maintenance of their cars. If I did, I probably would be burning oil and leaking oil out of a few seals as well as replacing parts unecessarily when there is an unrelated problem. (MAF comes to mind). Common sense and common knowlege about cars and the internal combustion engine is what to follow to properly maintain any car. If you can propely maintain a 55 Chevy, you can properly maintain any Porsche.

Fact is, the hotter your oil is, the more protection you need. a 40W oil will not provide you the same level of protection as will a 50W. The 0W40 is not much better than WD40 in the engine when the oil temperature is 230 -240F which is where the 3.4 engine oil is during normal city driving in hot whether. WD40 will allow your engine to rev faster and give you better performance and economy for a short while, but will prematurely distroy your bearings and other componants. It canl also finds it's way between the seals and the housing. Once ANY oil is there, it is just a matter of time before the seal begins to leak.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Here is a chart of the grade of oil that Porsche recommended for the 99 996. Was it a mistype or maybe a change in the laws of physics and chemistry that caused them to change their minds? LOL.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Good explanation 1999. Thanks for the thorough write-up. Now that makes sense. I change my oil just about 2x a year anyway so I see no prob with 15W50 in the Summer change and 0W40 in the winter change.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
axel6
Advanced

I'll ignore that stupid statement since you don't know the history of the car. Since you haven't been around very long I'll fill you in quickly so you can take your foot out of your mouth. The car is NOT mine, it was my father's. It was his weekend car that he babied and treated as a garage queen. But he died this year and he knew how much I loved that car growing up so he gave it to me. I would never condier selling that car since there is such an emotional attachement to it....you know, memories of childhood, etc.. It's doesn't have low miles b/c I don't drive it. It has low miles b/c he didn't drive it. Now it is just a material possesion that reminds me "of a time".

You really should think before you speak.
Easy there, my post was meant as sarcasm, as the smiley alluded to. I'm sure the car means a lot to you, which proves my point. Sometimes a low mile car has value regardless of whether or not it is driven everyday. My sincere condolences over you dad's passing.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

No biggie. I can get a bit emotionally charged when it comes to that car. Sux losing a father

Appreciate your statement about my father

Quick Reply: Any RMS success stories?