996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

B&M or Schnell SSK

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Euro RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys - I ordered my first Schnell parts (GT3 exhaust system) from Vertex and was disappointed with the quality of the welds/etc. The headers were crap -- looked like a high school shop class built them. The guys at Vertex were great to deal with, but much of that Schnell stuff is made in Asia and while it may "look like" B&M, I doubt the quality is as close. As for B&M, not bad stuff but the plastic pieces are not as strong as the Porsche OEM (steel connectors, etc.) I went with the Porsche OE SSK because it wasn't that much more money and I've learned over time that saving $50 now, usually costs me $300 later by having to "un do" the bargain parts I installed and putting the good ones on. I too surf eBay, PCA.org, Rennlist, etc. looking for deals and agree that parts can be found out there. If you're going to do track time with the SSK, I'd opt for the better part. The $100 you think you're saving by going non-OE (in this case) can be recouped by cutting out 60 days of Starbucks. I'm even replacing my "street" shifter cables with GT3 Cup (Porsche Motorsports) shifter cables due to their stronger construction. I think the cost is again maybe $100-$150 difference, but if we can afford these cars then we should be able to afford the parts -- buying the Motorsports cable might look expensive, but its cheaper than throwing away $300 on a race/DE weekend (plus travel expenses) when the street cable breaks.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro RS
As for B&M, not bad stuff but the plastic pieces are not as strong as the Porsche OEM (steel connectors, etc.) I went with the Porsche OE SSK because it wasn't that much more money and I've learned over time that saving $50 now, usually costs me $300 later by having to "un do" the bargain parts I installed and putting the good ones on.

The $100 you think you're saving by going non-OE (in this case) can be recouped by cutting out 60 days of Starbucks.
Totally concur a la the OEM commentary, but you're a little off with the Starbucks calculation. A customer drinking mocha-latte-chino-anything need only avoid the store for 30 days and they're done. That place is a bigger rip-off than the un-negotiated cost of dealer scheduled maintenance.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Euro RS
I'm even replacing my "street" shifter cables with GT3 Cup (Porsche Motorsports) shifter cables due to their stronger construction. I think the cost is again maybe $100-$150 difference, but if we can afford these cars then we should be able to afford the parts -- buying the Motorsports cable might look expensive, but its cheaper than throwing away $300 on a race/DE weekend (plus travel expenses) when the street cable breaks.
Perhaps you should ease up on the shifter ....
Old 12-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, just installed the Schnell SSK. Getting the actual shifter housing out took about 10 minutes.
I replaced the original with Schnell at my office desk between conference calls. Very straight forward. The unit looks a lot more solid than the factory set up, the bushings are beefier as well.
Only drove the car for about 5 minutes and what a difference it makes. Gear selection is much more crisp, the throw is MUCH shorter and more precise.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Eli,

Check your pm....

- Cam
Old 12-02-2005, 12:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Eli, what's the story on your avitar?