Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mass Airflow Sensor failure 996 - K&N???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:41 PM
blaydrunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caf
The bigger question is why mess with the K & N to begin with? Oiled filters are no better (maybe worse) at filtering dirt than paper filters, and it's easy to pop in a new paper filter when the time comes. There is also no performance gain relative to paper filters.

I'm talking here about filters for the standard air box, I'm not familiar with what options are out there for cone filters.
Cone filters do not come in a stock un-oiled "paper" form to my knowledge...they all must be oiled. K&N filters and any other Cone filter that is oiled comes "pre-oiled" from the factory. I have to use a non stock air filter since the TPC supercharger eliminates the Factory Airbox.

Cheers!
GL
Old 11-15-2005, 04:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blaydrunner
How do you obtain the "reading" off the old MAF and the new MAF? What is involved in that...and can I do it myself???

Cheers!
GL

Get youself a scanner that will display the various readings of the sensors. O2, MAF, etc. Only by having the ability to see what the sensors are actually doing can you begin to diagnois the problem. Typical response by a dealer is replace, replace, replace. If you went to the dealer because your alarm system didn't work, they would replace the MAF.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
msrc2
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My dealer advised against a K & N for the very same reasons cited in the first post. He claims they have seen several MAF problems/failures in cars equipped with K & N....most were DIY, and were done incorrectly to begin with.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 AM
blaydrunner
Instructor

I called K&N to get an answer about there filters and if they have had problems with 996 MAF sensors....the Service Rep said he had heard of these problems...asked how much money had been spent on replacing MAF sensors...stopped talking...and IMMEDIATLEY wanted to put me over to the Claims Dept. I left a message. We'll see what happens.

Cheers!
GL
Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
....If you use an oil soaked filter, you should make cleaning the MAF as part of regular maintenance. When you change the oil, clean the sensor.
Ok, I want to start cleaning the MAF since I use a K&N Filter. How should I do that? Remove the MAF clip from the rubber tube that goes to the throttle body and spray it with either starter fluid or carb cleaner? Anything else need to be done?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:50 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Fishman
Ok, I want to start cleaning the MAF since I use a K&N Filter. How should I do that? Remove the MAF clip from the rubber tube that goes to the throttle body and spray it with either starter fluid or carb cleaner? Anything else need to be done?
Nope. That's it. For regular cleaning, using electronics spray cleaner will suffice.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM
bigdude
Track Day

mine went out at 25k miles-no k/n filter-wasnt that expensive to replace
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Appleads
6th Gear

Let me add that I have a non-K&N 996 with just 20K on it, and my MAS has crapped out. I cleaned it, replaced it and it still triggered the codes. So I installed a new one, cleared the codes, and now I can't pass emissions inspections because the "readiness" codes have not reset or something, despite 45 miles on the clock. Anyone have any experience getting emissions inspection completed. How many friggin miles do I have to drive to reset the computer? Porsche told me 5 to 15, but that was obviously wrong because I failed at 45 miles. Well, didn't actually fail, just aborted because the computer was not "reset" despite the fact the codes had been cleared. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhg.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:57 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Appleads
Let me add that I have a non-K&N 996 with just 20K on it, and my MAS has crapped out. I cleaned it, replaced it and it still triggered the codes. So I installed a new one, cleared the codes, and now I can't pass emissions inspections because the "readiness" codes have not reset or something, despite 45 miles on the clock. Anyone have any experience getting emissions inspection completed. How many friggin miles do I have to drive to reset the computer? Porsche told me 5 to 15, but that was obviously wrong because I failed at 45 miles. Well, didn't actually fail, just aborted because the computer was not "reset" despite the fact the codes had been cleared. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhg.
Depending on what year car, it is not he miles that reset the compuer monitoring, but the number of drive cycles. Everything should be ok after 2 - 3 cycles.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:18 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bigdude
mine went out at 25k miles-no k/n filter-wasnt that expensive to replace
Yeah, what does a new MAF cost?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Billhero
Track Day

I just bought one from Sunset Porsche for around $270.00.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:00 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$270 is a great price, they're usually closer to $350 from a lot of dealers!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
blaydrunner
Instructor

Well....I'm at a total loss now.

The K&N filter was taken off completely and replaced with a custom made paper/foam filter with no oil....the MAF crapped out again!!!! Sumpin ain't right. Could the Computer that was installed for the Supercharger be frying these things by accident...a wiring short....anyboby have any suggestions to what it could be...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller???

Cheers!
GL
Old 11-21-2005, 06:36 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I changed my cone K&N on my Evo SC. Todd told me to soak the new filter in soapy warm water then air dry and not re-oil. He does that to all his instals. I have had no trouble since. My expirence with cleaning the MAF has been it only helps temporarily and then the problem recurrs. Perhaps with the increased air flow of forced induction it draws more oil out of the filter onto the MAF. Also remember the MAF changed slightly from 2001 to 2002 so check the numbers closely. They will work but the car will not run right. I know everyone will say the filter does not work as well without proper oiling but that is just the way it is,and Todd at Evo will agree. Will
Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by blaydrunner
Well....I'm at a total loss now.

The K&N filter was taken off completely and replaced with a custom made paper/foam filter with no oil....the MAF crapped out again!!!! Sumpin ain't right. Could the Computer that was installed for the Supercharger be frying these things by accident...a wiring short....anyboby have any suggestions to what it could be...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller???

Cheers!
GL
What are the readings of the MAF? Have you hooked up your scanner and looked?

Quick Reply: Mass Airflow Sensor failure 996 - K&N???