Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mass Airflow Sensor failure 996 - K&N???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 PM
blaydrunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass Airflow Sensor failure 996 - K&N???

2000 Millenium Edition 996 - TPC Supercharger - K&N cone filter.

This set up has fried 2 x MAF sensors. The Porsche dealership says it's the oiled K&N filter. Anyone else had a problem like this? The stock airbox is gone from the TPC installation. The dealership has said they have run into problems with K&N filters (the oil) on other customers cars killing MAF sensors. Any solutions???? Thanks.

Gheers!
GL
Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

That's the word on the street. The oil is contributing to the MAF failure. Not sure what those with the K&N are doing to avoid it. Maybe some with the K&N can chime in. I know there are several guys on the board with SC'ed cars.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out some of the V-Flow threads on 6speed the guys at evo have figure this one out I beleive. They are using an oil free filter I think or something along those lines.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:49 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a fact, You can soak the entire MAF in motor oil overnight and then clean it it the morning and the readings of all sensors will be the same as before you soaked it. Oil will not damage the sensor, but only make them less sensitive because of contamination. Clean the MAF and put it back in. I have yet to see anyone on this forum that complains about a MAF being bad put any effort into diagnosing the problem by maybe looking at the sensor readings before throwing it away. These are not some mysterious electrical componant. They are quite simple and other than physical breakage or excessive voltage spikes, they are not going to go bad.

If you use an oil soaked filter, you should make cleaning the MAF as part of regular maintenance. When you change the oil, clean the sensor.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:48 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a KN, but i dont oil it...No mas air problems yet..
Old 11-15-2005, 12:02 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I have a KN, but i dont oil it...No mas air problems yet..
Are you saying that you didn't put any oil on it after buying it, or that you cleaned all of the oil off?

Oiled filters are well known to cause MAF failures in the 996, and in any other car too. Just clean it off with electronics cleaner and you should be good to go.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The K and N needs oil to filter properly. The secret is to follow the oiling directions to the letter. Excess oil is the usual reason for contamination of the MAF. Oil lightly and let the oil dry overnight before using the filter. The directions are explicit.. follow them and no MAF problems.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:33 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Oiled filters are well known to cause MAF failures in the 996, and in any other car too. Just clean it off with electronics cleaner and you should be good to go.
I've put K&N filters in every car I've ever owned since the 1970s. I have late models of a Honda with 135K miles, a Lexus with 30K miles, and my P-car with 25K and no MAF problems in any. I don't think it's fair to say "well known" and "any other car". Just be careful about over-oiling and let them sit for a day or in the sun for several hours.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yah... what arenared said.

I've had my K&N in their for 3 years... haven't oiled it yet cause it's still "pink" - the color of the oil... if you take it out and inspect it you will where most of the air comes in.. a perfect round spot (on right hand side) above where the air gets sucked in... this area will not be pink because its filtering most of the air... its is perfectly white... in this case I would just flip the airfilter around so the "pink" area of the filter is below the hose that goes into the air...

if you do oil it... don't apply too much... 2-3 passes at most and let it sit for a full 3 days before re-installing... also you want to spray the bottom of the filter and *not* the top... make sure to wipe of excell oil with a clean cloth before re-installing...
Old 11-15-2005, 10:48 AM
blaydrunner
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Here is a fact, You can soak the entire MAF in motor oil overnight and then clean it it the morning and the readings of all sensors will be the same as before you soaked it. Oil will not damage the sensor, but only make them less sensitive because of contamination. Clean the MAF and put it back in. I have yet to see anyone on this forum that complains about a MAF being bad put any effort into diagnosing the problem by maybe looking at the sensor readings before throwing it away. These are not some mysterious electrical componant. They are quite simple and other than physical breakage or excessive voltage spikes, they are not going to go bad.

If you use an oil soaked filter, you should make cleaning the MAF as part of regular maintenance. When you change the oil, clean the sensor.
The old sensor WAS cleaned with an electronics spray cleaner...then put back in. Same readings...Check Engine...ABS/PSM lights on...would not clear. The NEW sensor was put in...engine was run.....NO LIGHTS ON. Cleared everything. So...how do you explain that? What am I doing wrong? The old sensor lasted 3 weeks before crapping out. So if it ain't the oil contaminating it...what's frying them or what can be done to stop the dash lighting up like a X-mas tree?

Cheers!
GL
Old 11-15-2005, 10:58 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blaydrunner
The old sensor WAS cleaned with an electronics spray cleaner...then put back in. Same readings...Check Engine...ABS/PSM lights on...would not clear. The NEW sensor was put in...engine was run.....NO LIGHTS ON. Cleared everything. So...how do you explain that? What am I doing wrong? The old sensor lasted 3 weeks before crapping out. So if it ain't the oil contaminating it...what's frying them or what can be done to stop the dash lighting up like a X-mas tree?

Cheers!
GL

What was the readings of the old MAF and what is the readings of the new one? Electonic cleaner quite often will not remove the carbon on the hot wire and will therefore, not properly clean the sensor. I generally use either starter fluid or carb cleaner.

Edit: In your particular case with the TPC blower, you have to make sure that they have adjusted for the increased current being produced by the increased air going past the MAF. If this was not properly done, you can put in a new MAF everyday and will still have problems. You have to look at the readings of the MAF.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 11-15-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:09 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

The bigger question is why mess with the K & N to begin with? Oiled filters are no better (maybe worse) at filtering dirt than paper filters, and it's easy to pop in a new paper filter when the time comes. There is also no performance gain relative to paper filters.

I'm talking here about filters for the standard air box, I'm not familiar with what options are out there for cone filters.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think from what I have seen on my car that K&N gives you somewhat better throttle response and breathing.. not that much... but for $100 its worth it... also cleaning your K&N too often is not recommended.... the dirt built up is an important part of an effective K&N cleaning system...
Old 11-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

K and N filters work fine...but the benefit is negligible IMHO. I use a standard paper filter and change it twice a year and at the same time I clean the MAF.

If you do use a K and N oil lightly...BUT in all cases make cleaning your MAF part of your regular maintenance of the car. I clean mine twice a year and it works fine and has worked fine for a number of years. Clean with a good electronics part cleaner that is gentle on plastic or even plain rubbing alcohol...then I use canned air to dry the unit. Its good advice and simple to do as 1999Porsche911 says.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:36 PM
blaydrunner
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
What was the readings of the old MAF and what is the readings of the new one? Electonic cleaner quite often will not remove the carbon on the hot wire and will therefore, not properly clean the sensor. I generally use either starter fluid or carb cleaner.

Edit: In your particular case with the TPC blower, you have to make sure that they have adjusted for the increased current being produced by the increased air going past the MAF. If this was not properly done, you can put in a new MAF everyday and will still have problems. You have to look at the readings of the MAF.
How do you obtain the "reading" off the old MAF and the new MAF? What is involved in that...and can I do it myself???

Cheers!
GL

Quick Reply: Mass Airflow Sensor failure 996 - K&N???