Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody familiar with Zerotek headers for the 996?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:12 AM
xravedreamsx
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to make a correction, these headers are made at one of the largest factories in the world, utilizing Japanese State of the Art Machines, and all ISO certs. See the pictures for yourself. Most production facilities in the US can't match the technology, since many US factories don’t run enough quantity to afford such expensive equipment.

If you haven't been up to speed on world politics now, the US industry has been on a downward trend, nearing a second rate country in terms of large scale industrial production, with techonlogy leaving the US and into foreign countries. Nearly every big US company is investing there money in China and Africa not only for financial benefits but for tech and quality benefits.

So PLEASE, do not degrade a product, just because where it was manufactured. If it was made in USA on the exact same machines, you wouldn’t know the difference.

"if it's good it ain't cheap, and if it's cheap it ain't good" -- In direct response to this, how can you infer the quality of a item solely based on price alone. If we all did this, the US would be run by monopolies, the Capitalist system would totally fail, and competition wouldn't exist. Lower prices on nearly identical products FOR SURE infers a number of things: LESS GREED, LESS PROFITS or MORE EFFCIENT PRODUCTION. Are you going to degrade a brand new porsche from the dealership just because the salesman gives you a better price than the next?? Of course not.

The fact of the matter is, please don't rant, rave, or degrade on a post such as this, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TOUCHED OR TESTED THE PRODUCT YOURSELF. IF you want, take it to the rants section of craigslist.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:14 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

You put 'em on your car if you like them so much, I'm not buying any. And save the sales pitch for another forum.
As has been my experience usually if something is markedly below the standard price point there is some catch. Maybe your headers are different. Wheels for example, there are tons of cast knock offs floating around that look like the well known forged brands but at 1/3-1/4 the price. Would you rather have some cast knock off or a forged BBS wheel at 140mph on the track?
And that's my .02
Old 12-04-2005, 01:43 PM
gpallem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DJ 996, I agree with you on the following point. Buy them, put them on, and see if you like them. For those that do, please let us know what you think. Therein lies much value of this list.

However, I disagree that there is necessarily a "hitch" or catch, if a company brings out a similar product at significantly reduced price. There are a phletora of examples to choose from, going from wine marketed under different labels to appliances that are identical in spec, but are sold under separate brand labels. Moreover, we are talking about a range of prices. Surely, the RUF system at close to $2,000 is currently pricing itself out of our market. The mufflers we are discussing fall within the $600-$900 range. Why couldn't the $600 set be competitive in quality? They are 30% apart in price, and the new kid on the block currently appears eager to simply break into a market where much is inflated under the guise of exclusivety.

Yes, I know...why don't I try it then for myself? Perhaps I will, as soon as I can make up my mind as to whether or not I want louder mufflers on my cab with orange cap mod--the latter which really boosted WOT induction noise. Ideally, I would get one of the systems with volume control (PSE, Gemballa, etc.) but that puts you into the $2,000 to $2500 range with the install, which I feel is too much to spend on mufflers.

Geert
Old 12-04-2005, 02:02 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Geert, I agree 2K is way too much for mufflers. $600 for mufflers is very reasonable, I guess I should have been more specific, I was talking about the headers. I don't know about any body else but if I bought something that was marketed as "German engineered" and found "made in Taiwan" on the box, I would be very pissed. To me that's a catch, and misleading to the consumer.
On the other hand I have CCW wheels for track use, they are forged high quality (made in USA fwiw) that are less expensive than BBS wheels. The difference is they are a small company making a high quality product that many racers use in the GrandAm cup series.

You would probably like the regular (aka quiet) GHLs, they have a nice sound over stock and zero resonance.
Doug
Old 12-04-2005, 02:22 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

i have the ghl loud which is what they recommend for an 02 and up, they are great zero resonance and the dealer that put them on could not believe how good they sounded and still true porsche sound. i am very pleased with them.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
gpallem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trozenhorse,

I'm assuming GLH recommends the "loud" for the 02 and up, since those already come with more sound/louder muffler. Perhaps that would be the way to look at the GLH's: "quiet version" brings it up to stock 02+ sound levels, "loud version" to something above that.

My worry with the Zerotek is that their blurb states that they have a flow- through design for improved performance. That makes me suspect they may be pretty darn loud--good for coupes, perhaps bad for cabs.

To tell you all the truth, it's beyond me how someone would try to sell a muffler/header system these days without having a soundclip available somewhere on the web. Really, what's that? An hour worth of work?

Geert
Old 12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
gcohen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Like I said, I am pursuing the dyno tests for those of you who are interested. I really don't care that much about it do be honest. I find it very funny how offended people can get on this board in reference to this subject. As for the country of origin, as a manufacturer I manufacture all over the world. Quality isn't an issue of what country you produce in, but more a result of an individual factory and the QC standards that they adhere to. At this point I can only comment on the physical appearance of the headers, and like I said they look sweet. When I finalize the dyno I will post further comments.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was all set to buy a set until I saw the anti USA crap, think I'll stick with second rate American stuff, rather than east asian crap.
If these guys want to push their wares on rennlist thay need to poney up and become sponsors, John D you watching?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 AM
tentster
Intermediate

Wondering wether gcohen ever installed his Zeroteks after all. I was considering a set, but, would like to get some feedback from someone on the board who has done this.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:32 AM
gcohen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not yet. I haven't had a chance to arrange it. I have to leave the car for a day.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:25 PM
tentster
Intermediate

Thanks gcohen, I can't see how you could go wrong with them. The sound is always going to be better (I figure), and, as you said, the visual quaility seems to be excellent, light, so, as long as there is no resonance (which is what i am worried about), I will definitely try them. Even if the hp increase is not as high as stated (which I would doubt anyways), as long as there is a few ponies and not a decrease.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
gcohen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Those of you waiting on dyno's from me may be out of luck. Unfortunately yesterday morning during my routine morning coffee stop a truck backed up into my car. In all probability I'll have the headers installed at the body shop while they are replacing my quarter panel, wheel well, and rear bumper.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That sucks man, hope the frame is ok. Luckily ,with the loser transit strike I've been taking the freakin' trains. Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

make sure they're careful with that header install. i've heard it's easy to break the studs if the car is a little bit on the older side.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:06 PM
tentster
Intermediate

sorry to hear that gcohen, hope you did your homework (or have good experience with that bodyshop) and it comes out great (undetectable). Make sure to let us know how the Zerotek install comes out. I didn't really care about the dyno numbers, just want to make sure you get some type of feeling of a better snap, and good sound, not any type of loss of power feel.

Quick Reply: Anybody familiar with Zerotek headers for the 996?