Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody familiar with Zerotek headers for the 996?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005 | 11:37 PM
xravedreamsx
AutoX

This Lance agian fro Zerotek, I am borrowing my friends account. Gary if you would like to workout a deal, please contact me on my cell 916-717-8151.

Also, for any of you Rennlister's I am gonna be doing a special on these Porshe 996 systems for Rennlisters only! Their is limited quantity, call for price. Phone orders only.

Here is the link to all our exhaust systems, including the sport system, and full system as well as our headers.

http://www.andale.com/store?view=CAT...=226101&mode=1
Old 11-30-2005 | 11:49 AM
gcohen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Lance. I'll give you a call.
Old 12-01-2005 | 10:02 PM
xravedreamsx
AutoX

Old 12-02-2005 | 10:02 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Im calling too, even thou the car is gone with in a couple of months, I just cant say no to a mod..
Old 12-02-2005 | 11:35 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

let's see some dyno runs. some before and after sound clips would be nice too.
Old 12-02-2005 | 01:06 PM
gcohen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm working on the dyno runs. I should have them in the next few weeks. I'm really tempted to just throw them on and see for myself, but I know a few of you are looking forward to seeing the dyno results so I'll try and hold out.
Old 12-02-2005 | 01:16 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

stay strong! wait for the dynos
Old 12-02-2005 | 05:56 PM
gpallem
Instructor

Any word, someone, on the Zerotek mufflers? Sound clips or impressions, and a final price? I'm glad somebody is giving the regular names a run for the money...

Thanks,
Geert
Old 12-02-2005 | 07:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Just put them on, chassis dynos are BS anyway, also be careful not to f up your awd. How do they look, are they as good as fabs?
Old 12-02-2005 | 08:22 PM
gpallem
Instructor

No C4S, as in why does a set of stainless mufflers have to cost between 850 and 1xxx dollars. Granted, there is the R&D, jig set-up, tooling, whatever...I'm happy someone is showing up with a significantly lower price. As for my questions: what do they sound like? What is the general impression qua quality and fit? Any sound clips?

Geert
Old 12-02-2005 | 10:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

"made in Taiwan", no wonder they're cheap, I'd send them back.
Remember "if it's good it ain't cheap, and if it's cheap it ain't good".
Old 12-03-2005 | 12:07 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Just put them on, chassis dynos are BS anyway, also be careful not to f up your awd. How do they look, are they as good as fabs?

how is a chassis dyno bull****? they claim 10-12 hp. a before and after on the same dyno under similar conditions should prove or disprove their claims. i'm not saying the dyno numbers are necessarily accurate, but it is certainly good for showing the difference between upgrades.
Old 12-03-2005 | 01:02 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The only true dyno is a real engine dyno with a water brake. You actually pull the motor and plug it in and start testing. Chassis dynos were designed to test emissions on cars and regulate taxi meters. There is too much slop, too many calculated loss variables., an operator can add or subtract whatever they want and get whatever number they want. They are no more accurate than a 100$ G -meter. Why do you think any serious race team (ie NASCAR, ROLEX) wouldn't waste their time on one, they all test on real dynos, not the 'tuner' chassis versions.
As far as the headers go, they seem to look identical to the fabspeed ones, even use the same add script. I wonder if they are not one in the same? Might be worth a shot for 600$.
Old 12-03-2005 | 11:19 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I'll agree that the numbers produced aren't necessarily true HP numbers. However, it works just fine for measuring before and after. I'm not sure what you mean by the operators being able to add/subtract whatever they want. I went to an independent dyno shop before and after I had my supercharger done. They ran it to engine cutout three times in fourth gear and printed out the uncorrected numbers for me. They did it the exact same way both before and after. The runs were done within a couple weeks of each other. I woudn't suggest doing them on different dynos, with different operators, and extreme atmospheric differences, but for what we're trying to see here it will work perfectly. Although I have to comment that my before run was within about 2HP of factory spec. That's pretty damn accurate if you ask me. Not to mention that the dyno operator was a Nissan turbo tuner and had no idea what kind of HP my car should be making.

The zerotek stuff is made in Tawain. Isn't fabspeed stuff all produced here?

One other thing that interests me is that I recently spoke with a major tuner about headers for the 996. They sell headers, so I can't say their name. They told me that they had yet to see a set of headers produce any real HP (other than a couple peak) on a NA 996. Other than dyno charts on manufacturers websites, I have yet to see a consumer go out and dyno their car before and after a set of headers.

Sounds like Lance from zerotek may chip in some for the dyno run. Hell, if Cohen has a paypal account, I'll chip in 5-10 bucks. I'm sure there is enough interest on this product that we could get him enough money to get this dyno run done.
Old 12-03-2005 | 11:35 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

There was an interesting article by Steve Dinan on the gross inaccuracy of the famous chassis dyno. Someone must have a link they can post. I recall something about the amount of airflow could drastically affect the numbers, then there is the extremely "precise" corrections for drivetrain losses. I agree they are a tool to check for before and after changes, but I wouldn't hang my hat on them. I'm still waiting for one of the tuners to put there stuff on a real engine dyno, like any professional race team, and post their results. But I'm not holding my breath...

Quick Reply: Anybody familiar with Zerotek headers for the 996?