Sponsored by:

Top down while moving.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 02:23 PM
VinMar911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Top down while moving.....

I am a new owner to a 2000 c2 Cab and you need to have the e-brake on to lower the top. I have had the hardtop on since I bought the car 5 months ago and just took it off and find this very annoying after 1 day. I was on the <a href="http://www.porsche.com" target="_blank">www.porsche.com</a> site yesterday looking at new Cabs and it stated that you can put the top down at up to 30 miles per hour...copied from the site "To open the hood, simply push the button on the centre console. As the side windows descend, the hood compartment opens to receive the folding roof mechanism. The whole process is completely automatic and takes just 20 seconds to complete. It can also be performed at speeds of up to 50 km/h (approx. 30 mph)."
Do you think I can take my car to the dealer under warranty and have them fix this, it is a pretty lame feature, especially in stop n go traffic in sunny California.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Back-n-Black
Instructor

I belive that feature is only available on MY 2002 and beyond. I have a 2001 Cab and you must have the e-brake on for the top to operate up or down. I do have a modification from SharkWorks that allows for "one touch" up and down operation. I did see a mod to allow the top to be operated while moving but it was after market.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Cydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 2002 Cab and the e-brake must be engaged to lower the top. Is there a hack for removing this necessity?

While the Sharkworks one touch switch is nifty in concept, but it can result in damage if the top hits something above it (eg. if you're in a garage with something hanging low overhead) and continues to open/close automatically.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03s only can be opened/closed while moving. TechArt (I think that's who it is) makes a module for pre '03 cars, but it costs $500.00+.

I've got the <a href="http://www.sharkworks.net/default.asp" target="_blank">Sharkworks TouchTop</a> and I love it. Just make sure nothings in the way, just like you would w/out the hack. If you hit the button again, while the top's in motion, it stops.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Rob you are correct about the Techart module I have it on my cab, its awesome!! No hand brake needed, and it makes it a one touch up and down from 1-25 MPH.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Chucksta
Instructor

are you sure 03 cabs can open the roof whilst moving?

the cab i test drove had to have the handbrake engaged and u had to keep your finger on the darn button.... but this was in November 2002

i also read in the brochure that the roof can be opened when the car is under 50k/h.

after 6 months of waiting my car is finally here... i'm picking it up this Tuesday!!!

so i'll let u all know if you can open the roof whilst moving in a 03 cab
Old 04-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the sharkworks touchtop also and recommend it. No more holding down the button. Also there is a hack that can be done to remove the requirement to have the parking brake up but I kept it where the parking brake has to be pulled up one notch as a safety precaution to avoid my 9 year old possibly touching the button when I did not want the top to function. I adjusted my emergency brake so when the handle is pulled up one notch it does not engage the brake. That way I can pull it up one notch and hit the button while still moving in stop and go traffic and the top will operate no problem. The sharkworks touchtop is definately an improvement and convenience which I use regularly. As others said if you want to stop the top while in motion just touch the button once more and it stops. To continue just touch the button again and it continues. Take care,
Old 04-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a link to a site with links to many hacks for the 996 and 986. <a href="http://www.iq.dynip.com/~gary/hacks/hacks.html" target="_blank">Hacks</a>
Old 04-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Chucksta
Instructor

just picked up my 03 996 cab.

you can open the roof whilst the car is in motion (up to 50km/h)

you get a red warning display where the on board computer lives.. says "Convertible top has not reached limit"

Quick Reply: Top down while moving.....