Sponsored by:

Bad Clutch Symptoms...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:03 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Clutch Symptoms...

How do I know if my clutch is going bad, other than it not fully engaging? I smell a burning smell on my rear driver side. The smell is similar to bakes but I have no idea what a clutch smells like. I assume the same since they both probably use some of the same material.. I only smell the buring on the driver's rear and some under the engine compartment hood.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

clutch smell is a unique smell... shouldn't smell like brakes....

when you say its not fully engaging do you mean slippage?

try the 4th gear test - put her in 4th and start accelerating from 2,000 rpm and see if there is any slippage.... it slips if the revs start going up and your car doesn't go anywhere.... I had the same symptoms on my car and replaced the clutch about 4 weeks ago... boy does a new clutch put the power down nicely!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I don't feel any slipping but I do smell something.. Since I'm new to this car I'm not even sure exactly what the brakes smell like.. I'm going to grab something to eat now. I'll try the 4th gear test but they way you describe the car will shut off unless I slip out the clutch..

Originally Posted by c70Pete
clutch smell is a unique smell... shouldn't smell like brakes....

when you say its not fully engaging do you mean slippage?

try the 4th gear test - put her in 4th and start accelerating from 2,000 rpm and see if there is any slippage.... it slips if the revs start going up and your car doesn't go anywhere.... I had the same symptoms on my car and replaced the clutch about 4 weeks ago... boy does a new clutch put the power down nicely!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I don't feel any slipping but I do smell something.. Since I'm new to this car I'm not even sure exactly what the brakes smell like.. I'm going to grab something to eat now. I'll try the 4th gear test but they way you describe the car will shut off unless I slip out the clutch..
OOPS.. my bad! I mean to say... while the car is coasting put her and 4th and bring the revs down to 2000 rpm then hit the accelerator.... starting from a dead stop from 4th gear is not what I meant.... sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:16 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I slipped clutch to get it moving in 4th then stepped on it.. It accelerated not fast and not slippy.. I think it may have something to do with me not using the PSM and trying to heel toe.. There is definitely an odor of something burning..

OOPS.. my bad! I mean to say... while the car is coasting put her and 4th and bring the revs down to 2000 rpm then hit the accelerator.... starting from a dead stop from 4th gear is not what I meant.... sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:47 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Apart from the not engaging point it doesn't seem like a clutch issue. Did you slip the clutch to start the car from 0mph? If the clutch survived that abuse then it's probably OK. What Pete was suggesting is that FROM A ROLL at a low speed you accelerate in 4th gear. Nonetheless, i'd get the car to a local shop and have them take a quick peek. Something isn't right if you're smelling something burning. PSM won't affect heel and toe shifting at all! the absence of PSM shouldn't couse a burning smell either.

-KJ
Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yeah, I have it jacked up.. It smells sort of electrical and brake-ish.. I guess I'd better take it in..

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Apart from the not engaging point it doesn't seem like a clutch issue. Did you slip the clutch to start the car from 0mph? If the clutch survived that abuse then it's probably OK. What Pete was suggesting is that FROM A ROLL at a low speed you accelerate in 4th gear. Nonetheless, i'd get the car to a local shop and have them take a quick peek. Something isn't right if you're smelling something burning. PSM won't affect heel and toe shifting at all! the absence of PSM shouldn't couse a burning smell either.

-KJ
Old 10-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

have you had any brake work in the recent past....? I wonder if one of your brake calipers is malfunctioning or sticking in some way... I'd take it to the shop but I would also let the car cool down go for a 5 min drive and don't use the brakes much... when you come back you may want to measure the temp of all 4 rotors with a laser gun (or your finger if your brave) and see if they are the same temp... if not that's your problem...
Old 10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
vette67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does your temperature gauge read? Could you be smelling antifreeze?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:03 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

My temp gauge is normal.

Initially I could have swornone of my calipers was the problem. But both rears have the same amount of brake dust on them. I'm going to drive it tonight into town to see how it goes then attemt to take it out to the Eastern Shore tomorrow. *looking for my Warranty and Tow paperwork*

Originally Posted by vette67
Old 10-28-2005, 05:06 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I don't have a laser on and damn sure ain't using my finger but I do have a food thermometer..lol!! I'll through that in the car, thank goodness I'm not married I could only imagine what my future wife you say if she caught me taking the thermometer out of the kitchen..lol

have you had any brake work in the recent past....? I wonder if one of your brake calipers is malfunctioning or sticking in some way... I'd take it to the shop but I would also let the car cool down go for a 5 min drive and don't use the brakes much... when you come back you may want to measure the temp of all 4 rotors with a laser gun (or your finger if your brave) and see if they are the same temp... if not that's your problem...
Old 10-28-2005, 05:07 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Oh and definitely not antifreeze.. I know what that smells like since I just had the expansion tank replaced..
Originally Posted by vette67
Old 10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i thought all 996 smelled like something was burning when warm. i have read that it was cosmoline, the protective coating on the block and aluminum parts, that was the cause of the odor.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:33 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

How many miles on the car? How does the clutch pedal feel? Usually one these cars when the pedal gets stiff, its time for a new clutch.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:18 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

The vehicle now has 47k miles on it. I'm very new to the car so I don't know what it's supposed to smell like. I really wanted to get up with the fellas today for the meet to see and smell other cars..lol

No brake work has been done
The Clutch feels the same as before.
I've recently stopped using the PSM
I've been trying to practice heel toe steps
I did spin out thru 2nd gear last week once, the ground was cold and so where the tires.
I jacked it up and noticed tire rubber chunks(assuming from the spin out) or something black and gewy on the Exhaust Cans(I tried to clean it off but just couldn't reach all of it).
Drove last night downtown but didn't have time to sniff around since I was running late.
Today, I'm heading to the Eastern Shore to see how an 1hr long ride will do..

Originally Posted by karlooz
i thought all 996 smelled like something was burning when warm. i have read that it was cosmoline, the protective coating on the block and aluminum parts, that was the cause of the odor.

Quick Reply: Bad Clutch Symptoms...