Sponsored by:

Tire Opinions- Potenza RE750's vs. Eagle F1 GS-D3"s

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:25 AM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Opinions- Potenza RE750's vs. Eagle F1 GS-D3"s

Looking for a little guidance here. I'm putting new rubber on and am considering the two tires above after researching treadware, noise, wet/dry grip, and performance for a daily dirver. Any have anygood comparison info between the two? They are roughly the same price and neither is "N" rated, though not a big deal to me for my purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
Old 10-24-2005, 12:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nick, why would having a N spec tires not be a big deal for your purposes? The N spec tires are designed specifically for your car and it is the one place you DON'T want to skimp or deviate from. Remember the only thing keeping you connected to the road is your tires.

I sure hope the reason isn't money.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:39 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Potenza without hesitation. Of all the tires I have run (on all my cars) this is a great tire in wet or dry. Relatively quiet and ribbed. Traction will not be a concern with these.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Dell- I guees I'll ask the question back... Why WOULD I absolutley go with "N" spec for a car that doesn't get tracked and whose primary function is a 50-50 combo of aroud town and highway driving? I also need v. good wet traction. I completely understand that stock and spec are N-rated, but I'm a little too much of a novice to understand why that would be a huge issue. At this point, I'm just following the advice of a few tire shops, including Tire Rack, who've said that, for my purposes, non "N" tires would be absolutely fine and give me better wear. Also, through searching here and other boards, it seems that there are quite a few of us running non "N" tires out there- both of the aforementioned included- with very good reviews and results. Sure, price is less and, if they have to be replaced with less frequency, they're much cheaper to run. But you are correct, price isn't a factor in the matter if there truly is a major reason to go with the "N" tires.

I'm not trying to argue a point here, more trying to derive the best information possible. Please chime in with info.

Thx!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Totally know that you are not trying to argue just want to make sure you understand the difference as well as thinking about how much you are really saving (or are you) after you you need to replace the non-N spec tires.

Here is a great article to get you on your way:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...currentpage=62
Old 10-24-2005, 01:41 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Thanks Dell. I'm going to do a little more research. Looks like the Pirelli's and PS Rib's are available, but I'm really not a fan of either due to wear issues and noise on previous cars. Just from a Devil's advocacy stance, anyone experience any real issues driving non-N's?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:12 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no reason you MUST have an N rated tire. There's plenty of tires that aren't on the OEM list that are suitable for a 996, including the Toyo Proxes and Yokohama AVS Sport.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Nick , What about the S02's - I have on my second set - I got 20K + miles before I had to change my rears, awesome rain tire.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Put on what ever fits....its just a tire, they all wear out , its just a tire dammit
Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nick,

RE750 is a *way* better choice for your car than F1-GSD3...
Old 10-24-2005, 10:00 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, guys! RJM- Hello Amigo! I owe you some pics but it's not *quite* ready for them yet. On the way, though, I promise.

After reading up some more, talking with another couple of tire places, and reading your replies, I think that I'm going to order the RE750's tomorrow. Unfortunately, no one local has them stocked so it looks like it will be week's end before they arrive. However, it still leaves about 12 hours before I can finalize this so anyone that can convince me otherwise, have it it
Old 10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for the $$$ I don't think you can beat them... unless you want to go for TOYO T1-R of course... also a great tire, new technology... but slightly faster wearing.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM
ckl93
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm running S-03's on my car and I'm loving them. I don't think they're N-rated either.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Nick,

I bought my 996 (used) almost a year ago, and then spent a long time researching tire choices to replace the cheap ones it came with. The result was the recent mounting of a set of the Eagle F1's (18") you are considering. I couldn't be happier.

I do not track my car, either .... daily driver and highway trips with my wife. In addition to wet/dry traction, road noise was important to me, as the roar I was hearing from the original tires was not a pleasant way to cruise in a car I bought strictly for pleasure.

Consumer Reports, whom I consider to be neutral and reliable, rated the Eagle F1 very high for wet & dry traction .... a little lower for noise .... a good compromise.

N rating .... I don't consider to be a factor. By sheer chance, I was in Zuffenhausen and visited the big Porsche Zentrum dealer adjacent to the factory just prior to making my decision. A lengthy discussion with the staff there led me to understand that N-rating is an "after the fact blessing" of a tire, as opposed to the oft assumed sign of "made to order for Porsche".

A salesman went to a new car and pulled out the owner's manual. He pointed out that: (1) it only mentions N rating in the context of matching mounted sets of the same N-rating. (2) it specifically mentions buying non-Porsche recommended tires and simply reminds one to buy from a reputable dealer and adhere to the specified quality (speed, traction, wear, etc) ratings.

Bottom line of the discussion, the use of N-rated tires is not seen by Porsche as a requirement in any way. This has been skewed somewhat by a deal between Michelin and US Porsche dealers to have the dealers as exclusive outlets for some Michelin N-rated tires .... thus assuring a recommendation from the dealer that "you must use N-rated tire".

Lest anyone get the wrong idea. A set of Eagle F1's does not represent a savings when compared to Michelins, Bridgestone, etc. I paid well over $1000 for a set. Its about finding the right tire for your needs / preferences / driving style.

Ironically, the very first N-rated tire was a Goodyear.

I love my Eagles, and the quiet, very stable ride they have given me in high speed cruising and heavy traffic commuting.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Kim,

I have the exact same car as you. Be certain to get back to us with some more feedback on the Goodyears when you have accumulated a bit more mileage. Like you, I have been considering those tires as well. A lot of extremely involved drivers have been recommending these to me of late. Indeed, and I am loath to say this, Corvette owners have been fanatics of these tires for years.

Edward

Quick Reply: Tire Opinions- Potenza RE750's vs. Eagle F1 GS-D3"s