Sponsored by:

Convertible top rubbing... holes forming

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:30 AM
vette67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top rubbing... holes forming

I'm getting visible wear on my convertible top on each side, just behind the rear half-windows. Looks like there is a support strut underneath the bad spots.

Looks like a poor fit causing rubbing when folding the top or when it is already folded and stored. Anybody seen this on their car? Is there an adjustment I can make or is this a dealer fix?

Thanks!
Jeff
2000 Cab 4
Old 10-24-2005, 01:21 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see this starting on my car as well, and am looking for a preventitive fix so slow down the wear. Since my car is used, I don't know if this has happened quickly, or if it's something that took five years to look like this and maybe I have five more to go before a problem. I know the exact spots you're talking about - while I have no holes yet, it looks like two small lines that are wearing faster than the rest of the top and eventually it's going to tear/wear through if I don't do something. And the rest of my top (on an '00 Cab as well) is in perfect shape, so this sucks. If I find a fix, I promise to post here - please do them same.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:33 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Not seen this before. You should definitely have dealer or an upholstery shop look at it. For recommendation on a upholstery shop, call up some dealers.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
RexracerX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cured the same problem using felt stickers (the kind you find at the hardware store) where the top was rubbing the car body.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I have the same wear spots on my 00 Cab. I am going to try the felt pads. If you find any other cures please let me know.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:49 PM
vette67
Instructor

I called the dealer and talked to the first service tech that answered the phone. He said that it was a common problem but that he had never seen one wear all the way through... that there was no recommended fix except to get a new top if it does wears through. I'll call back tommorow and talk to the shop foreman to see if he can do any better.

Meanwhile I will try the felt pad idea. Thanks RexRacerX!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:29 PM
vette67
Instructor

Update:

Spoke with the head of the service dept at local dealer. I've been told he has been around a long time and is very sharp. He told me that the wear problem is quite common, even on the 986's and that there is no fix. He also told me that Porsche considers it to be normal wear and tear and that Porsche calculates the life of a convertible top to be 2 years. That's right, he said it. That surprised me quite a bit.

I pressed him on it and said something about being surprised a mfg of such a high-end machine would do build a ragtop with a life of only two years and he said something like "well it is just fabric and rubber after all."

Wierd.

On a lighter note, I finished treating the top with Raggtop protectant (wolfstein, inc) tonight and it really does make the top look almost new. Almost a brushed suede look on my light metropol blue top. I recommend it. It's quick and easy and won't hurt your glass or paint (wipes off easily). It also seems to do a good job rejuvenating the rubber window seals.

Last edited by vette67; 10-25-2005 at 09:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-26-2005, 02:57 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Did you try the felt stickers yet? I'm afraid that adding any fabric to the top might cause it to fold differently and pinch somewhere new. And can these really be picked up at any hardware store? Glad to hear about the Raggtopp - going to order some online tonight.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:58 PM
RexracerX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a helpful hint for using the felt pads: Open the cab top until it is fully retracted but stop before the metal part (I don't know what you call it) comes down to cover the top. This part is usually where the top is rubbing. Find the wear spots on the canvans top and place the felt pads on them with the sticky side up. Then finish opening the top until the metal part is fully closed down on the canvas top. The felt pads will stick to the metal where the top is rubbing - problem solved.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:34 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

That's good logic and great advice. I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize that you had performed it in that manner until you spelled it out. Thanks a ton...
Old 10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
vette67
Instructor

Bad news. I took some time and followed the advice... stopping the top retraction and looking at where the rubbing was happening and it is not from the cover plate. The wear on either side of the window is where the top is folding and rubbing against itself, not the sides of the storage bin or the cover plate. I think we're screwed.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:58 PM
skipp
Instructor

My BMW does the same thing and I'm looking at an 02 cab that is beginning to have the crease lines. I have no idea what to do. The BMW is a 1996 and hasn't gone all the way through yet, so, 10 years and no real hole s yet.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:24 PM
vette67
Instructor

That's good. I hate the way it looks though. I'm really considering getting the top dyed black. It will hide the wear and look better IMO than the light blue top I have now. I just have to find a shop I can trust that has done it before. Believe it or not, that's not easy. Apparently people don't dye their tops a lot.

Quick Reply: Convertible top rubbing... holes forming