Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do you ever get discourage from driving a nice car ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

40K and counting, rain, snow, sun, and track. It's the best, most reliable car I've ever had, I couldn't bear to drive a POS as I spend 1-3hrs in my car each day.....just about the best 3hrs of the day. If you gotta commute, might as well be in a porsche.
Another doc bought a C4S at the same time I did, 9k in 3yrs, now he's selling the garage queen and still taking almost as much of a hit had he just driven the SOB ,rather than the beater pos subaru.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:02 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsches are meant to be driven to their maximum potential every day.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:47 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I say never feel bad

As long as you aren't putting your family at risk of not meeting their needs by buying one of these cars, be proud that you've put yourself in a position to be able to drive one!

I bought this car for the way it drives even more than the looks (even though the looks were a big factor) - I don't care if people see me in one. As a married dad who always tries to "do the right thing," it doesn't really matter if I attract attention anyways. When I couldn't afford a Porsche in my earlier days, I usually looked at Porsche drivers with jealousy, not disdain.

Also, rocks, door dings, scratches, and anything else that makes me cringe, has been a factor with every car I've had, whether it's a Honda, a VW, or now a Porsche. I just try to tell myself the wear and tear still looks better on a Porsche!

Be proud, be safe, and enjoy the ride...
Old 10-18-2005, 10:18 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Cool It's just a car...

That's what I said when the dealer kept trying to get me to buy additional coverage for road-hazard, a clear bra and Lo-jack.

I thought the woman was going to fall off her chair!

Drive the snot out of it as often as you can. I just got 17" wheels and am in the process of getting snow tires. The front of mine is full of stone chips. The clear-coat on the SCII's is pealing, there are stains in the carpet... but the oil is clean and there's always fresh wax on the paint. Don't stop long enough or drive slow enough for anyone to notice the little things.

--Dale
Old 10-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Stone chips are "badges of honor" that the car is driven and driven as it should be.....at least that's my thought on the subject......
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys Dont get me wrong , Its been a year and it has 40 k on so, I drive it..infact i drive 365 days a year!!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 PM
thewump
Instructor

With cars I think I can manage a "whatever" attitude towards damage unless:

1) It's vandalism and some resentful SOB keys it
2) My wife does the damage ;-)

Keith
Old 10-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

paul, any chance you could lemme have ur 3spoke steering wheel, cf shift **** and ebrake?
i'll give u my original AS parts, plus unlimited time with the chick in my avatar..or another of equal quality

p.s. so what will ur next psychoproject be? 997TT or GT3 *evil grin*
Old 10-19-2005, 09:20 AM
peachboy
Racer

Hands OFF my sister.....
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 AM
bavarian
Instructor

I don't see why you can't drive it every day like you would your beater. As long as you still watch where you park and don't hang out behind open bed trucks for too long you can limit the chances of minor damage. I've had my windshield replaced but otherwise I've been lucky so far: 15K miles in 18 months. Like kilrgt I'm moving on to the next toy, but I've always had fun high-end cars; being **** and enjoying these toys shouldn't be mutually exclusive.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 AM
infestation
Instructor

I've put nearly 21,000 miles on my 997S since last August. I drive it every single day and I drive it everywhere I go. Usually I drive about 300 miles on the highway each week, so I have lots of stone chips (marks of pride); yet, it doesn't bother me too much, although, like others have said, if I do something then that matters. The car has endured plenty of wear, too--someone bumping into one of my bumperettes, and most recently (two days ago), a truck kicking up a long metal crow bar, which skidded across my hood and then dinged my passenger door. I tried to avoid it but I was on the highway and it was coming straight towards the center of my hood. There was nothing I could do. I'm just glad it didn't come through the windshield--thank God! Yet, I took my car to one of the best shops in the area, and within a two weeks or so, my car will look as good as new. And, I'll continue to drive it every day.

There is no substitute.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:17 AM
peachboy
Racer

You guys are Sooooooo right (beside the lewd comment about my sister)
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The best porsches' are driven hard and put up wet. However, my wife is very hard on cars, almost disrespectful, I don't let her near mine, good thing she can't drive a stick.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

kilrgt,
check your PM re: your car.
About this thread: although I don't yet have a 996, I also look forward to driving it 365 days a year, rain, shine, snow, sleet, etc... Always believed in using my German cars to their fullest...that's what they're for. But it is heartbreaking when you see the stone chips or door dings; think of them as battle scars!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:01 PM
RLandis
Racer

I just bought an '06 Wrangler Unlimited, strictly for the long distance stuff that I have to drive on a semi-regular basis.....I usually drive my C4S daily, but don't want to plow the really long stuff on it....my annual driving is about 40k per year, half of which is long distance.

Quick Reply: Do you ever get discourage from driving a nice car ?