Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do you ever get discourage from driving a nice car ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:28 PM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever get discourage from driving a nice car ?

I, like many of you I'm sure, gets the occasional stone flying off someone tires on the highway and landing on your hood or windshield. You might get a littlew bummed out when you next wash your car and notice the chip. Last I was keeping proper distance and saw soem object flying tru the air and ended up impaling a metal spike in my rear tire causing a flat. I was 2 days away from getting new tires so I though the timing was actually not that bad. The only bummer was the feeling that people seem to get a good laugh or even a chuckle when they see someone wearing a suit, driving a fancy car and changing a flat tire...felt like saying "yeah buddy, even Porsche get flat tires, get over it."

Later in the week a small rock hit my windshield cause both a chip in it as well as a small running crack.

Do you ever get depress driving a nice car and getting all sort of dings. Wouldn't be nicer to be driving occasionaly a beat up pickup truck and not caring sooooooooo much ?
Old 10-17-2005, 05:55 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to disagree with you but i can't I am discouraged for other reasons but bottom line thats why i am selling mine.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:16 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Kilrgt: Selling, to get another Pcar, right? Are you getting out of nice cars all together Sl-500....?

Such is life, in my opinion. I have had flats, broken windscreens and currently have a pretty scuffed up bumper. However, I am not going to let these things get in the way of enjoying my car. If one is so wound up, that every tine you get a ding or a scratch on your "precious", maybe Porsche, or nice car ownership isn't for you.

I always love reading about restored Ferrari Dino's, and how many of them are built better, once restored, than when they came of the factory floor 30-40 year ago. I often think there are a couple PCars out there, that fit a similar bill.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:14 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Normal wear from driving and enjoying the car doesn’t discourage me or lessen the joy of owing/driving the car. I look at it as a fact of driving. Don’t get me wrong I try to keep the car in as pristine condition as much as possible and go out of my way to avoid many hazards (i.e. corner parking spots, won’t follow big trucks whenever possible, etc.) and always seem to be washing and/or waxing the car, but I get more satisfaction out of driving it vs. just owning it. However, intentional infliction of damage (i.e. keyed, mysterious dings, etc.) really ticks me off. Sure this type of damage means less on cars I don’t care about then what is the purpose of driving something that you don’t enjoy?

Self inflected damage (i.e. I cracked the black plastic piece in front of the rear wheel when I placed the floor jack to close to it) is another story. It frustrates me to no end, but I have no one to blame but my self.

Kilrgt,
I am curious what has got you so distraught to cause a sale? Is it maintenance and/or Porsche's fault or something entirely beyond the car itself?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:15 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey Kilrgt,
If you're serious about selling your car, let me know. I took your advice and went and saw John at Pfaff...he's looking for me now (2002+ C2's and C4s'), I have until the spring really. But when are you looking to sell? Would all the mods go with it? how much $?
As for driving nice cars: well I had some guy confuse drive with reverse and back into my MB CLK500 a few weeks ago...luckly he just shattered one of the ugly amber side markers. It was a good excuse to upgrade to clear one's (and he paid for it too). So the moral of the story is: sometimes things happen for a reason.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:48 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Pongobaz... I will sell the car as is or with out the mods, The truth is a have another Porsche on the Horizon.I will sell the car when you need it, My new one shouldn't be in until Feb, thats what Porsche says anyways.If you want we can meet up and you can see the car, then if you like it we can talk.Getting back to the thread,I am so **** about my cars, that I cant stand stone chips or any other flaws in the paint, but don't get me wrong I enjoy my car to the fullest.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:20 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I just wish I had the same attitude as my wife about cars. About three months ago she bought an Audi A8. It's a beautiful car inside and out, and she takes the car everywhere, and always parks in a parking place closest to wherever she goes without any concern about door dings. We went to dinner last Saturday and on our way, some guy accidentally backed up into her bumper. The impact was at a low speed so the damage was minor, but some paint was removed from the impact. The guy who hit her was very apologetic and wanted to give her $300 to repint the bumper. My wife's reaction: keep your money; it's just a bumper and it's meant to be bumped.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 391 Posts

I think it is a state of mind. Years ago I anguished over exactly what you described and eventually sold cars based on this anxiety. However, as I have aged I have come to terms with the reality of use. Moreover, I actually look forward to it as a badge of pride. For example, I am putting snow tires on my C4S and looking forward to the white weather... years ago I would have never considered driving the car in rain let alone the frozen stuff.

p.s I was washing the car last weekend at a self car wash place and an older gentleman came over to complement the car. The first question he asked me was "Are you going to drive it this winter. As it turned out he was testing me to see whether I pampered it or drove it like it was designed.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel guilty when I commute in mine It's irreplaceable -- that's a heavy responsibility,,, one I don't take lightly. I was driving to work in the early morning (dark) last week and caught a bit of wood or some rubbish on the road with the edge of my right front tire -- the "whack" I heard on my fender made my heart sink. Happily it hit the plastic cover on my fender in front of rear wheel -- only damaged replaceable sheild w/no damage to fender underneath.

But, it does no good for a Porsche to sit in the garage. The fresh air and movement keeps everything dry and lubricated. Chips happen I will however drive my other car when it rains -- luckily I was able to convince the wife to keep the Mazda for that purpose since the Porsche is too valuable.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:53 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sucks to be **** like me
Old 10-18-2005, 04:40 AM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about you just don't worry about it so much. Dude come on, it's a car. I know it sucks especially when it's new. I had a brand new G35 sport coupe and someone shopping carted it. You gotta get over it. It's not worth getting upset about.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I used to feel that way with my 2001, now I just drive the snot of mine (30,000 miles since Jan. 04) and don't sweat the small stuff.

At the end of the day it's just a machine, and although annoying, small problems can be fixed.

Enjoy, drive, be happy.

Rob
Old 10-18-2005, 10:07 AM
DanDotDan
Pro

I used to drive a beater. It was very liberating. Still, I got rid of that POS and am much happier using my C4S as a daily driver. It's got rock chips galore and someone hit the front bumper last month, hard enough to dent and tear it. Such is life.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You know I have to confess....my first Boxster I owned for over a year and put about 5k miles on it. I never wanted to drive it in the rain, snow, etc. My 993 was even worst...I owned it for 2.5 years and only put about 10k miles on it. While owning both of these cars I drove horrible beater I paid $500 for 90% of the time. One day my wife asked why I had museum in the garage for the 993. I thought about it. I sold the 993 and got the 996 and sold the beater. I drive my 996 every day and have snows for the winter. I could not be more happier (well I could if it was a 996TT).
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 AM
peachboy
Racer

Thanks for support guys...this group is just great.
Who needs Dr. Phil when you have Rennlist.
My therapy will be to slap on the new tires, get the windshield fix and give her a good well deserve bath.

Once it's done, the final point to the therapy is to get in the car, step on the gas and let the others eat my dust.

God I feel better now. I just need to keep repeating : "Don't be so ****...don't be so ****...don't be so..."

Quick Reply: Do you ever get discourage from driving a nice car ?