Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car sounds like a lawn mower--- Solid/Blinking check engine light -NOW WITH CODES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 01:59 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sounds like a lawn mower- Solid/Blinking check engine light -AGAIN!

Took the car to the dealer to check it out last week. While I was there, they changed the fuel filter, as the dealer who did my 60k, ran out a couple months ago...

Today, and 200 miles after pickup from the dealer, I go to use the car this morning and the car sounds like it going to blow up. The engine sounds like a lawn mower and the check engine light is on. At first, the light was solid, then it started blinking. I put the hazards on and slowly rolled back home, and the car was ready to stall. Futher, the car was shuddering pretty hard as well.

A little more backgroud, the car was outside the last week in the heavy rain. I took off the intake, to see if there was water inside, and it was dry as a bone.

I REALLY hope this is either a clogged fuel line or MAF issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you

Last edited by yetis; 10-29-2005 at 11:06 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-15-2005, 02:12 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks Chris. I am sorry to hear that. Have the car flatbedded to the shop and have it checked out.

A MAF failure will throw up a solid CEL and the car will run rough but I think the on board computer should adapt. Blinking CEL is not good.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Check ignition coils. If you have an OBD 2 scanner you can check what made it blink. Blinking doesn't necessarily mean castotraphic. Mine(old one) had 2 ignition coils fail and sounded like crap and wanted to die. Hope that is it. Regards. Mike
Old 10-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

This may be a long shot, but I once owned a nissan that behaved in a similar fashion when it sat in a driving rain or if I hosed the engine down to clean it. I found that adding a bottle of "dry gas" (found at most automotive stores) resolved the problem fairly quickly.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

2 things need to be done:
1. Run codes
2. Flat Bed to Repair facility if no able to diagnose and fix DIY.

DO NOT TAKE A BLINKING CEL FOR GRANTED!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:26 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Here are the codes from my car. Anyone have any recommendation? The system also said that fuel trim???, was way out of its normal range.

P0300 Random/multiple Cylinder
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire

Thank You

Chris
Old 10-16-2005, 07:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Check Loren's site (Renntech.org)
Old 10-17-2005, 12:18 AM
rrys
Advanced

Hmm!! Water in the fuel sounds like a candidate. Jumping the fuel pump relay and collecting some fuel in a clear plastic containermight show two liquid phases or cloudy gasoline. Water in fuel will sink so pumping out a few gallons and then adding drygas might fix the problem, but if that is the problem then how did the water get in. Other possibilities could be ignition related.

I would avoid driving it much until you diagnose the problem.

Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2005, 06:18 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I had a similar recent problem with my 996.

started to really chug and sound like a lawnmover.

Problem sounds dissapeared after two minutes, had codes read - misfire on #3 cylinder

called OPC and they said that quite possibly a gas issue - I had filled up at sams club (first time ever in my car) during the fuel crisis and they said that as levels at the gas station were getting low combined with the local torrential rain, this could have caused an issue.

they suggested a fuel additive, dry gas or whatever, so I went to my usual BP, filled up with premium, put in the fuel additive and everything has been fine since (touch wood)

hope its similar issue for you - good luck
Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Well, I would bet that might be it. To say it rained a lot this last week would be an understatement. The next question is, how did it get in??? I checked the gas cap, and it was tight.

What I discovered yesterday night, was a little disconcerting. I keep part of the owners packet in the drivers side storage bin (in the door), When I pulled it out, I noticed it was wet! So, apparently water is getting in somehow. This has never been a problem in the past, so this is a little disconcerting.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:58 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never ever ever ever ever drive the car when the check engine light is blinking!!!!!!!!! Flat bed it immediately!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:42 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

So yesterday, I finally had time to have the car flat bedded to the dealer. The dealer says there is nothing wrong. He cleared the codes and has not been able to replicate the faults on test drives. This is all a little surprising, after the car was shuddering and almost not drivable last weekend. Says that maybe a wire got wet and caused a short! Now that seems a little odd? Wouldn't that constitute a problem? They however, don't seem really concerned or motivated to do anything about this.

Oh, one last thing. Do many dealers read these sites? Can they tell when you run codes on your car? He seemed very aware that I checked the codes on my own, before I said anything.

Thanks

CJ
Old 10-21-2005, 02:44 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by yetis
So yesterday, I finally had time to have the car flat bedded to the dealer. The dealer says there is nothing wrong. He cleared the codes and has not been able to replicate the faults on test drives. This is all a little surprising, after the car was shuddering and almost not drivable last weekend. Says that maybe a wire got wet and caused a short! Now that seems a little odd? Wouldn't that constitute a problem? They however, don't seem really concerned or motivated to do anything about this.

I bet it was the same as my issue

dodgy gas/water etc - to clarify, i was ****TING MY pants - it was running (if you can call it that) so badly
Old 10-21-2005, 03:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It records each session it is scanned.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

NOT this crap again. Picked up the car last Saturday and drove out to Watermill. Put 250 miles on the car and no problem. I even worked through an entire tank of gas. On Sunday, I fill up the car and leave it for the week. Today, I turn it on and everything sounds good. Then, about 5 miles into the drive, GUESS what, its back. Solid CEL followed by blinking CEL light. I have had it with this. The dealer said "it's not a HARDCODE error" so they didn't do anything but look at it. Do you think two times will be the charm. Net net, ever since my car has been to this dealer, its spends more time on the shop than on the road.

Quick Reply: Car sounds like a lawn mower--- Solid/Blinking check engine light -NOW WITH CODES?