996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why do I feel like I'm floating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:03 AM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I feel like I'm floating?

Bought a 2002 C2 last month and have driven it a little over 1200 miles. Most of the drives have been two lane canyon roads, with a little bit on the straights.

Maybe I am not getting the picture here as to how a p-car should handle, but I find that this vehicle which is equipped with the US M030 suspension, and a set of new p-zeros, has a feeling of floating in the front end at anything over 80 mph? Not a really good feeling of positive steering control.

Although I am use to front engine cars that have a tendency to oversteer for the most part, I don't really feel the understeer in this C2 that objectionable. However, the feeling at speed in excess of 80 mph is a little scary since the front end feels so light.

Is it my imagination, or do other people out there feel the same?

If this is problematic to US cars due to the slightly higher ride height, how does Porsche warrant selling this vehicle in the US?

Is there a simple and cheap cure, or do I need to change out the entire suspension?

Tom L
Old 10-08-2005, 02:06 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put some springs which will lower the car. Or get a set of PSS9.

I assume your tires are properly inflated. I've not found the front to be light at high speed. I do think it's lighter than normal due to its high rear weight bias.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:10 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The RoWM030 is just what you need. The USM030 is a waste. I added that to my 2000 996 and the floatiness disappeared and it so much more planted. Not to mention the car lowered about 18mm in front and 25mm in the rear (measures before and after).

Also with the 2002 model you also have the option to add the X74 which is more agressive than the RoWM030. Personally I prefer stock pieces. If that doesn't matter to you then PSS9 is a popular aftermarket choice. Do a search on all 3 here on this forum and you will find reading material for many days to come.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dirttrack,
I too have a 2001 C2. It's equiped with the ROW 030 and everything else but a chip and free flow cats. When I first purchsed the car and had litle experience with this type of Porsche ( had a 944 T before ) I felt that the front was a little light and flowty as you would put it. But once tracked that is when the true personality of the car commes out. Its somewhat inherent of the design to be light in the front without load, however once properly drivin on the track ( you can't bring this cars true potential out on public roads ) it is simply "marvelous ".

Cheers

Pierre
Old 10-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dirtrack,
As can be seen by my avatar my car does not suffer from front end lightness except as seen here in corner 2 at Mosport at speed. Left front of the ground @ 140 KM.

All the best

Pierre
Old 10-09-2005, 11:32 AM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Thanks for the info folks.

Pierre,

Is your car set up with the normal stock US suspension? If not, what are you using?

Tom L
Old 10-09-2005, 11:38 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Tom,

Your front end should not feel like it's floating. Was the alignment checked prior to the purchase? The 996 is great on sweeping medium to high speed corners so your experience is not how this car should behave.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how aggressive you want to go, X74 is an excellent choice.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:45 AM
ra6hc@aol.com
1st Gear

I also have an 02 C2 that I purchased last month and mine is the same way. I was also wondering if something was wrong. The front end just feels really light around 75.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:49 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

RoWM030 or X74 plus alignment and all will be well in Porscheland.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:57 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the suggestion here that the car has to be modded to feel "right" at 80mph?? That doesnt sound right at all. Im sure the RowM030 is a great mod, but the stock US setup shouldnt be shaking your confidence at 80mph, sorry. Something is wrong with that car.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:47 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Not really modded but rather returns to normal as Porsche designed it. Remember the US suspension/ride height is on our cars to accomodate USDOT reg.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Thanks again for the replys.

The car seems to handle ok on sweeping turns although it still feels light in the front end. The un-nerving feeling is when accelerating on a straight. This becomes more pronounced when that spoiler deploys at 75 mph pushing down the rear.

I don't see how this could be an alignment problem, unless Porsche is set up far different then other cars? The old tires showed perfectly normal wear, and the new tires are showing nothing unusual. The car goes straight as an arrow.

If the US 030 suspension is only a ride height issue, then I can't imagine how bad a normal US suspension would be?

Tom L
Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

As LVDell mentioned, the problem is that all US cars have to be raised to meet DOT bumper height requirements. The rest of the world doesn't have this requirement so the cars are sold at the proper height. Once you change your suspension, that floating sensation goes away. That's why suspension mods are one of the most popular after market items.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:03 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i had the same problem on fast straights and adding a more aggressive front bumper (along with a lowered ride height and suspension tuning) with splitter cured that right up . with the stock bumper the front end was definitely floaty. oh ya, stiffer/lowering springs would help out the rear end squat, further reducing the amount of air going under the car. with a coilover setup you can also adjust the ride height so you can have a certain amount of rake (the front being lower than the rear). going with adjustable shocks and stiffening the shock rates will enable you to tune out the rear end squat.

Originally Posted by dirtrack49
Thanks again for the replys.

The car seems to handle ok on sweeping turns although it still feels light in the front end. The un-nerving feeling is when accelerating on a straight. This becomes more pronounced when that spoiler deploys at 75 mph pushing down the rear.

I don't see how this could be an alignment problem, unless Porsche is set up far different then other cars? The old tires showed perfectly normal wear, and the new tires are showing nothing unusual. The car goes straight as an arrow.

If the US 030 suspension is only a ride height issue, then I can't imagine how bad a normal US suspension would be?

Tom L

Quick Reply: Why do I feel like I'm floating?