Sponsored by:

warranty repair diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
mtb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty repair diagnostics

I was informed by me dealer today that the cost of diagnostics is not covered under warranty even if the problem turns out to be a warranty issue. I had a loose strap on the covertible top headliner and a rattle in the conv top and they wanted to charge me $80 for the diagnosis of the problems, yet would cover the repair under warranty.

They said they would not charge me this time, but would charge me for diagnosing the loose baffle in my exhaust ($45), which they replaced under warranty last week (I asked to have that diagnositics taken off the bill as the muffler was covered under the CPO warranty).

Does this make sense? Seems sleezy to me. Also, what is everyones experience with loaner cars when their P-cars are in for warranty service (do you get loaners, are they nice or crappy)?

thanks,
Mike
Old 10-04-2005, 05:35 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

That sounds plain wrong to me. If the car is under warranty and the problem is covered under warranty, the diagnosis should also be covered. (maybe different with an aftermarket warranty). I have my car in from time to time for rattles etc and was never treated like that.

I get a nice loaner from the dealer, but if it's out, they get me a rental car.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very sleezy and borderline unethical. If you claim a problem that is warranty related then they have an obligation to diagnose the problem adn repair/replace if warrantied. Just wrong to charge you a diagnosis fee for a warrantied item. I would talk to the GM of the dealer if your SA doesn't take the charge off....especially if they didn't tell you that in advance! My advice, find another dealer if they don't fix this probem right away.

As for loaners, my dealer here in LV gives baby Jags as loaners.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:22 PM
mtb968
Instructor

Thanks guys,
when I picked her up all diagnostic charges were waived. The service guy was very friendly and nice, I just wonder about the next time. Also, they were out of real loaners, so they had the rental car company pick me up. Nothing like adding >30 minutes to process and giving me a dented, smelly beat-up civic without even power windows. I'm not a loaner snob, but I the point is to get back to work asap, and the trip to enterprise was not helpful nor fun.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Maybe your dealer has been burned by guys coming in for a diagnostic and then going to another shop or doing a DIY
Old 10-04-2005, 09:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think Lee just hit the nail on the head!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's BS. Dealers don't get paid for trouble shooting but for repair work on the books. Often, the report work on the books is enough to cover road test and other diagnostic to find rattles. It's best when you do a whole bunch of issues or service together so they have a place to absorb the time for diagnostic.

However, I have never heard of charging when item is under warranty.

For rental car, my local dealers always call ahead to have the rental car waiting before my paper is written up. This is expected. Waiting for pickup and paper work shows how inefficient this dealer is.

Go somewhere else next time if you have a choice.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Gnome
Racer

I've never had a dealer charge for troubleshooting under warranty.

I have had shops charge for troubleshooting outside of warranty, but they apply the cost toward any actual repair costs. That way I'm only paying for troubleshooting if they don't find anything, or if the repair is really minor.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I would call the general manager of the dealership. If that didn't get me anywhere, I would send a letter to Ekard Schneider (I'm sure the spelling is off but he is the North American service manager). I have dealt with him and he is very owner friendly (if you are in the right).

Quick Reply: warranty repair diagnostics