Sponsored by:

CAYMAN HAS ME THINKING

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 05:59 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAYMAN HAS ME THINKING

For the first time in a long time, seeing the Cayman in person has me debating to sell my black beauty and go for the Cayman. The performance are very close, but the style of the Cayman is simply perfect (for me that is) I really haven't used the rear jump seats in some time now, so the 4 seat factor is out the door . What do you gents think ?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, but I don't think it's worth taking the depreciation hit on your current car. I say keep your car for a few more years and then see what has become of the Cayman. Perhaps we'll see a GT version eventually.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
TTHFXR
Intermediate

Well, Porsche has stated that a 911 person is a 911 person and the Cayman simply will not take sales away from 911 people. So as tempted as I am and as much as I like the styling (not to mention pricing) I have to walk away from that beautiful car and do what I'm told. Besides my 130lb dog fits in the back seat for week-end getaways.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I am keeping my current 996 when I pick up another car in the spring and my very short list includes the CaymanS. Just need to drive one and see it in person first before I decide. But it does have my attention!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:11 PM
ericdee
Racer

Keeping my 996 for now, but I have to say their preeeety cool.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:12 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RJMDAD996
For the first time in a long time, seeing the Cayman in person has me debating to sell my black beauty and go for the Cayman. The performance are very close, but the style of the Cayman is simply perfect (for me that is) I really haven't used the rear jump seats in some time now, so the 4 seat factor is out the door . What do you gents think ?
I too am also seriously considering the Cayman. I do not use the rear seats at all and the versatility of the hatch would be great for my uses. It sounds like you have seen one in person. Is it true what all the magazines indicated…that the car is more aggressive looking in person? I really want to drive one. On paper the performance of the Cayman is very similar to my 996. I just want to drive one to see what the driving dynamics are like. I really like the nimble feeling of my former Boxster but there was something about the 911 dynamics that drew me in for daily driving duties. As much maligned as the rear engine design of the 911 is, it is quite satisfying to get on the accelerator out of corner (something the Boxster lacked). I am not sure whether that feeling was a result of the different weight distributions or the power advantage the 911 has over the Boxster. Hence the reason I want to drive a similar powered car with completely different weight distributions to see how it feels.

The Porsche website now has more info regarding the Cayman including torque and HP curves. The torque curve is rather interesting in that it has a dip about 3000 rpm then proceeds up to the peak and this is dead flat through the rest of the rpm range.

As for Porsche’s contention that the Cayman will not take away from sales of the 911, I think they are correct. First, the 911 cabs and C4’s make up a large percentage of the 911 sales, and the Cayman does not compete with these. Also figure the S versions of the 911 are significantly more powerful and more expensive and the Turbo and GT3 are not even in the same league performance or price wise. The Base coupe is the only car the Cayman really competes with and there are just too many new 911 buyers that buy for the 911 name and pedigree, not to mention those that actually use the rear seat. Buyers that want the 911 because it is a 911 are not going to care that the Cayman may handle better and be very close to the performance of the Carrera. If any sales will be hurt it will be the Boxster or the Boxster S in my opinion, and Porsche was smart enough to price the Cayman S above both. The Boxster is fantastic car, but there is no denying the fact that some people buy the car because of the Porsche crest and it is cheaper than the 911, and not because it is a great roadster.

The used prices of the Cayman will be the interesting thing to watch and its effect or noneffect on the used prices of the 996 and 997. Used buyers are less likely to be buying the car for the latest and greatest and more for what the car is or isn’t.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:26 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just discovered that RUF offers a 997s 3.8 engine as a crate kit for the 987s. Considering how much is shared with the Boxster it would not surprise me to see such a kit for the Cayman. The Cayman chassis with the 3.8 would a wicked NA machine. If only I had the money.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
I say keep your car for a few more years and then see what has become of the Cayman. Perhaps we'll see a GT version eventually.
RJMDAD996, you have a gorgeous car with a nice set of mods. The early magazine reviews on the Cayman are pretty much ho-hum saying it's basically the Boxster, and the braking/handling are on par at best.

I am with Paul in keeping what you've got. Maybe Porsche will realize the Cayman S is not an S and should be a base model. 15 BFD HP also doesn't turn my crank although I think the mid-engine platform with supposedly 2.5X torsional stiffness over the 987 has the makings of a great car. Ruf has a 3.8L 987, but it's not factory and not cheap either.

I think a 2nd generation Cayman with a factory 3.8L (or maybe a 3.6L X51) would switch a lot of Corvette buyers. Porsche just needs to push the 911 further up the price curve by offering highly-advanced TT, 4WD, GT* versions while letting the Boxster/Cayman play at the low end a little harder. This also might appeal to a lot of existing P-car owners where a new 911 is out of budget.

Well, that's my hope anyway...
Old 09-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm thinking along the same lines. I like what I see. I left my name and phone number with my local Porsche salesperson for a test drive when that little beauty comes in.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Sorry, it's got me thinking to..... Thinking of sticking to what I have "that is".....

Thanks, but no thanks,

-Eli
Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 PM
mtb968
Instructor

I absolutely LOVE my 996, but I must admit I am avoiding the dealership and will try my hardest to not drive a Cayman. I can see one in my future if it lives up to it's potential, and I am really enjoying the C4cab, so I think avoidance is the best answer.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JimPDX
I'm thinking along the same lines. I like what I see. I left my name and phone number with my local Porsche salesperson for a test drive when that little beauty comes in.
Jim, You won't like the Cayman.... they ALL come standard with a clear bra! Just Kidding!!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Jim, You won't like the Cayman.... they ALL come standard with a clear bra! Just Kidding!!
Old 10-01-2005, 12:00 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too am in love with the design and Idea of the cayman. However after I configured the car on the Porsche website the Cayman S I came up with had an MSRP of $85K your in 997, GT3 and Turbo price range. A skate Cayman at 58K does not do it for me. Give the car a year and pick up a 10-18 month old car and let the other guy take the hit.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I was thinking the same thing until I used the configuator on the Porsche web site. I would rather have a new 997 for almost the same dough.

Quick Reply: CAYMAN HAS ME THINKING