Sponsored by:

Need Child Seat Recommendations for 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Child Seat Recommendations for 996

Anyone out there using a child seat in the backseat of a 996? I am adopting an 11 month old from China in five weeks and I need a few recommendations for a child seat for the back seat. (I am assuming that the back seat is large enough for a child seat...)

Any recommendations are welcome. Also, is the Porsche child seat and booster worth the money? Seems a lot to pay just for the brand name.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-18-2005, 03:55 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Congratulations!!

There's probably not enough room in the back for a rear facing car seat and I think that Porshce recommends against this. Check with your state for recommendations (I can't remember the age/weight limit before they can be forward facing).

Do a "child seat or car seat" search on the forum as there has been many posts on this in the last month or so.

Porshce is no longer making their car seat (they were made by Britax for Porsche).
Old 09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Britax makes the best child/baby seats on the market. They are expensive but you will immediately notice the difference when you put one side by side with their competition. I have the Britax Marathon that fits tightly in the back seat. The Porsche model may have different dimensions than the standard Britax models so it would be helpful to have the spec's before buying. There's no better place to spend your money so yes it's worth it.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Thanks! I'll check out the Britax seats.

Mark
Old 09-18-2005, 04:46 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My recommendation: Don't have any kids--Buy another car
Old 09-18-2005, 05:40 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!!!
11 month old may be big enough for front-facing car seat(no need for infant seat).
let me know your shopping exp. since i will do the same very soon.

Originally Posted by dmac
Congratulations!!

There's probably not enough room in the back for a rear facing car seat and I think that Porshce recommends against this. Check with your state for recommendations (I can't remember the age/weight limit before they can be forward facing).

Do a "child seat or car seat" search on the forum as there has been many posts on this in the last month or so.

Porshce is no longer making their car seat (they were made by Britax for Porsche).
Old 09-19-2005, 12:32 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I shopped Porsche and Baby's R Us.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:55 AM
Butzi
Pro

earlyapex,

Do you have any photos of the Britax in your 40th Anniv. 911? That 911 is on my short-list and want to make sure I can actually fit a child seat in there before I pull the trigger... Thanks.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:58 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll post one later today. It's a tight fit with the Britax Marathon, but it works and the seat is top quality. The Porsche version may have different dimensions and thus fit better so I would look at one.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:33 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pl
Congratulations!!!
11 month old may be big enough for front-facing car seat(no need for infant seat).
let me know your shopping exp. since i will do the same very soon.
Don't necessarily go by age. Make sure your child meets all the requirements such as weight and height. In general, try to keep your child in the "younger" (i.e., rear-facing, 5-pt forward, 5-pt "bigger" forward, then booster) seats as long as they are within the recommended limits because they are safer. Also, Asian kids will often be smaller.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark,
Congrats on the adoption! We adopted our Katerina from Russia in 2001, and are signed up to do it again.

On the car seat, the rear dimensions are tricky, and not many fit. I ended up finding ours at WalMart for $30, which fits great both front and rear facing.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a pic of the eddie bauer one.
its good for 1-year and older, rear facing in the back. i cant remember if there is a weight restriction too.
i went to Right Start and they let me try them all until i got one to fit well
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2005, 05:38 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Justin's race seat.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2005, 06:07 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Marathon is a GREAT seat (I have two) BUT the Porsche seat is significantly smaller than the Marathon. Unfortunately, it is also significantly more expensive. One of the key differences in the Porsche seat is that it curves in at the top (which creates a lot more space). I heard a rumor that they have been discontinued, but have been unable to confirm. Anyone know?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Butzi
Pro

earlyapex,

Thanks for the photo. It looks so much more comfortable than the Porsche Zoom model, especially with the slight recline. Although, the Zoom is for an older child. I won't be putting my little girl in the 911 until she can sit forward facing, most likely (she's only 3.5 months right now), since I have to bring the wife along on trips, as well.

Quick Reply: Need Child Seat Recommendations for 996