996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

EVO intake for 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Exactly, you're just shifting the curve/ window of tq and hp. Akin to a shell game on 14th street.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, just advance the timing a little and instant SOP feeling, it's an old trick. I'm with Chris, there's not much to be had IMO from an airbox unless it's combined with other upgrades...maybe. The stock airbox already flows more air than the engine can use. Unless one of the tuners can produce some real engine dyno numbers instead of the chassis stuff then it's anecdotal at best. With all the R&D and advertising I'm really surprised no tuner has strapped a "modded" engine on a real dyno and shown the numbers. I mean it's not that expensive, I think we used to pay $300 a day for our race engines on the dyno back in the "Day", right Chris.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, Sir.

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Volumetric Efficiency, essentially how good the engine is at making hp given an x amount of fuel, aka hp/litre, the m96 is at nearly 90- 100 hp/l already. A 5.7l chevy would be making almost 600 hp at the same VE.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

250$/day on the dyno if I'm not mistaken, plus beer for the crew. Funny we use to dyno brand new racing engines, breakin was about 6 seconds, then 8000rpm's.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:28 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny, but isn't that what we want to see and should expect on a dyno chart, well a shift upward?

My only problem with the EVO's V flow is, am I really getting cooler air? The rest about whether it works or not doesn't really bother me much since I've seen Bolt on's and ECU remaps work on Nissan VQ engines which are pretty much already maxed. I was a nay sayer until I went head to head vs stock VQ's on the 1/4 and on Dyno.

Now what I can say about ECU remaps is that they seem to work better on non-manual transmissions, which is useless to me since I'm driving a 6speed now.

I can say, in regard to my 996, that I do not really feel a difference in power with the GIAC and Intake certainly not a 20hp difference. Maybe it needs more time to learn/adjust but damn, it's a computer, how much time does it need.

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Exactly, you're just shifting the curve/ window of tq and hp. Akin to a shell game on 14th street.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay enough with a the technical stuff....does the sound get better?? I have a 99/996 cab TIP and I like the deep sound, but I would like it to be just a little louder, more raspy mayby....but i don't want to spend 1K for an new exhaust system

So if the cold air intake make my car sound a little (but notecable) better I'll buy one
Old 01-19-2006, 11:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
okay enough with a the technical stuff....does the sound get better?? I have a 99/996 cab TIP and I like the deep sound, but I would like it to be just a little louder, more raspy mayby....but i don't want to spend 1K for an new exhaust system

So if the cold air intake make my car sound a little (but notecable) better I'll buy one
It does make a "howl" up top when revving it yes
Old 01-20-2006, 10:29 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have an aftermarket exhaust and put on one of the cold air intakes, is it recommended to GAIC chip the car as well in order to account for the freer flowing intake and exhaust? (This is assuming that the intake does something).
Old 01-20-2006, 10:43 PM
dipspanigrahi@yahoo.com
Advanced

i have one
it sounds great
dont know about the hp claims but it sure sounds excellent
my buddy who has an older air cooled 911 says it reminds him more of the air cooled engine sound.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:16 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

hell yes it does sound better! that's one of the things i missed after i had the supercharger installed. it doesn't roar but it let's a WAIL at high rpms. kinda like f1 . i think you'll need to do the exhaust if you want a deep roar. look in the classifieds or on ebay for steals/deals.

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb

Old 01-21-2006, 01:21 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nycebo
If you have an aftermarket exhaust and put on one of the cold air intakes, is it recommended to GAIC chip the car as well in order to account for the freer flowing intake and exhaust? (This is assuming that the intake does something).

after doing giac flash, evo v-flow, headers, muffler, i got 30-35HP. don't think the mufflers added to anything, just sound.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:32 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by karlooz
after doing giac flash, evo v-flow, headers, muffler, i got 30-35HP. don't think the mufflers added to anything, just sound.
But Carlos, those headers make the car a lot louder, right? Like maybe too loud?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:02 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nycebo
But Carlos, those headers make the car a lot louder, right? Like maybe too loud?
nope, hardly made it louder. couldn't tell the difference before and after. cat bypass and esp. muffler bypass make it loud.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:26 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Oh oh oh .... then this could very nearly be the next mod for me!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Karlooz is correct.. most of the power on the 3.4s and 3.6s is from the intake flash and headers. The sound doesn't change much at all with the headers... Pick an exhaust that you like but do it for the purpose of sound

Quick Reply: EVO intake for 996