Sponsored by:

Making Your Car Breath Better

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Your Car Breath Better

You get one upgrade to make your car breath better. Only one.

What would you choose, and by whom.

At this point I'd say Headers, and - based on what I've read on this board - they should be Fabspeed.

In responding, balance practicality with cost .

Your thoughts?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:24 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Your engine already has headers on it, changing to an aftermarket equal length/big tube header will/may give some top end HP (above 5K) but you will never see it on the street. These engines are already nearly maxed out from the factory in terms of volumetric efficiency, so there is not a lot to gain unless you are racing. The stock airbox, as ugly and quiet as it is, flows more air than the engine can use. In terms of bang for the buck a free flowing muffler ( Fabspeed, GHL,...) will help a little and definitely improve the sound for not too much cash layout.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Rasta
Racer

Thanks Doug. I didn't realize that aftermarket headers don't help that much. I am looking into an aftermarket exhaust but haven't been able to make up my mind. Even same-exhaust sounds clips sound so different depending on the clip - I'd really like to listen to a bunch of them real-time and then make a decision.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:00 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

changing your exhast - headers and mufflers will get you more HP but at the top end. do you drive at the top end of the rmp range? it makes a difference at the track where you are in the 4K + zone but on the street these mods will soften up low end torque.

i think the evo v-flow is somewhat flawed. dyno testing has showed me that the intake opening (at the cone filter end) is too small) and chokes it a bit. it's better than oem but it may be on par with with the fabspeed intake. the v-flow has the potential but only if you find a way to free up the breathing by increasing the opening.

i disagree with dj996 about the 996 being maxed in terms of volumetric efficiency. back to back dyno tests between oem airbox (w/ removed resonator internal box and b&m filter) and v-flow (open lid) showed a healthy increase. with a stock box (paper filter + resonator box) the increase would be even more significant.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:56 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Vic, listen to my GHL's anytime.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Vic, listen to my GHL's anytime.
Chris, thank you. I would love to drop by and listen to 'em. Maybe we can figure out a time that works over the next couple of weeks.

Best.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:24 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I'll vouch for that GHL on Chris' C4S, it sounds perfect.

Quick Reply: Making Your Car Breath Better