Sponsored by:

C2 vs. C4-What's better about the C4

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default C2 vs. C4-What's better about the C4

O.K. Stupid question. I am looking at a 02' or newer cab and I was wondering what functional, noticable difference there is for an everyday driver with the C4? I would be interested in hearing from those that have driven both and why you decided on the C2 vs. C4 or the C4 vs. the C2.

I'm in an area that get's a fair amount of rain and was wondering if traction would be significantly better with the C4?

Also, with the AWD, are there significant additional maintenance issues/problems. Thanks in advance for your comments!

This forum has been great and it has really got me fired up about getting my first Porsche!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

traction in adverse weather would be better with the 4wd, but traction is so damned good in the C2 that even in torrential downpours, you are in control (ask me how i know).

I have driven both the C2 and the newer C4S and while the input and steering response on both cars is electric, i think i still prefer the C2 just because it feels funner. 4wd is something u don't need..unless ur a snow driver.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I spent a considerable amount of time driving both before I made my decision. It is definitely a personal preference, but I preferred the feel of the C4. For safety reasons, I also thought that the C4 would be better-again personal preference. You really need to drive both back to back. Lastly, if you go with the C2, I would find one with PSM (Porsche Stability Management). It is standard on the C4, but optional on the C2 and cannot be added aftermarket.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:44 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The C4, C2 and C4S are three different cars.
Generally the C4 has a sturdier frame work, all weather potential and in fact the awd is really 95% rear/5% front most of the time. The C4S is a wide body, turbo frame/suspension/brakes etc. As far as 'the extra weight' goes, you'll never notice the difference on the street or track (281#) 98% of the time.
It all depends on your needs, if it's all year/ all weather then go for the C4. If you only drive in nice climates then you're better off with the C2(w/PSM).
You'll get many opinions on this topic, guys generally prefer the model they've chosen, me included.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:02 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I would expect that most would prefer the model that they have chosen and it's great that there are so many choices. It is really helpful to hear the reasons for your choices as there is no substitute for personal experience and I appreciate the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:52 PM
kirkB
Track Day

I picked the C4S - simply because I liked the wide body and suspension and brakes from the turbo model. - There is no snow to deal with in So Cal - heck except for this year we hardly have any rain (which is also why I went for the cab)

Kirk
Old 06-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Re-animator
Racer

C2 all the way unless you are snowbound. The steering feel is number in the C4 and it is a hair heavier. Ring times and Hockenheim show the C2 to be quicker in the most adverse conditions anyone would encounter on the road. I'll post a link and you guys can compare 3.4 C2 to 3.4 C4.

Check 3.4 in C2 and C4 at the link

P.S. 5 seconds is a lifetime difference at the Ring.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

at the very minimum tell the C4S vendor that the 2wd is really what you want and tell the C2 vendor you are really concerned about all year traction. That should get you 5 to 10% off either, unless they are following this thread!

There are a lot less C4s's in the market; i think that can be a positive from a value perspective.

Finally, since we do also drives these machines, i can only suggest that the 1st time the C4S AWD saves you from that scary feel of some really serious understeer you will be very happy with your choice.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:46 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

my opinion... i would choose: C4S>C2>C4

Seeing how you didn't mention the C4S, I would go with the C2. I enjoy the drive better, but then again it's really personal preference. Go test drive 'em. You will know...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:59 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Man all this talk about a c4 is better in the snow maybe true, however i live in Canada where we get snow, and my C2 in the snow is simply awsome, I have no problems what so ever.Granted i have put on some great snow(Goodyear GW3) but reguardless you will want snowtires on the C2, or the C4.I think the c2 is a better car to drive, but hey i am bias, if the S came in the c2 i would have ended up with that one, but it didnt and i have no regreats..
Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Also figure in the cost of adding brake and suspension upgrades on a C2/C4, let alone wide body/fascia upgrades, the C4S is a bargain. Resale on a C4S will always be better than either a C2 or C4 of the same yr/milage/condition.

Quick Reply: C2 vs. C4-What's better about the C4