Sponsored by:

Documentation of Porche Certified warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Documentation of Porche Certified warranty

Hi all -- I bought my '02 996 Cab about a year ago and part of the negotiated price was the additional warranty/certification under Porsche's program. However, I realized after I picked up the car that I had no actual paper certification of my warranty. I inquired a few months ago when I had it in for service and they told me that it is noted in "their" records. A couple of questions:

-- is there some document I should have received or can get documenting the extended warranty?
-- is the extended warranty transferrable to another user?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:33 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had this exact question and sent an email to Porsche. They informed me that the dealer was supposed to send me a package detailing the warranty information. So I sent an email to the dealer. He said he sent it (I never got it) so he said that he would send it again - again, I never got it. After sending a number of emails to the sales manager at the dealer, I finally gave up. I did find out that it is noted in the system at my current dealership. Nowhere near the service that I get from my Lexus dealership with that CPO car.......
Old 06-16-2005, 01:37 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Bought mine in July '04 received warranty info/packet from PCNA about two-three months later
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

You should have a contract and or Packet Information with your P-Car SS# and your info. I personally would make it a point to obtain a paper of some sort.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Hit the dealer up and keep bugging them to get you the paperwork. If it is referenced in any way in your agreement (contract) you are covered without it the P/work and it sounds as though its in their "system" when you serviced the car...so just keep bugging them till you get it.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:03 PM
aintME
6th Gear

When I bought my car, I wasn't able to take it home that day because it had not completed the CPO process. The CPO program was a key point for me in the sale. It was a Saturday and I didn't end up getting the car until mid-week. The day of actual "delivery," I was told that it had a clean bill of health and it passed inspection w/o a problem. It was sold to me as a CPO car.

Long story short, I had a minor problem about 1/2 year down the line. I called a dealer closer to me and asked if they could work on the car. Gave them the VIN, they ran it, and surprise, it wasn't in the system as a CPO car. Called the dealer I purchased the car from and they ran the VIN as well, same result. Called Porsche NA, and yes, three strikes and I'm **** out of luck.

The salesman that sold me the car and the finance manager that I dealt with were both not employed with the dealership any longer. I didn't have any "documentation" stating that it was a CPO car. Initially, the people I dealt with at the dealership (service advisor/manager?) seemed helpful and wanted to get this resolved. Once it got to the general manager, my calls were never returned by anyone at the dealer. I filed a complaint with Porsche NA via phone explaining the situation, but as far as I know. Nothing ever became of it.

My saving grace was my luck in purchasing an aftermarket warranty from the dealer at the last minute. I was on the fence, but decided that a little extra insurance couldn't hurt. I ended up buying a 4yr warranty from the dealer; was told that the first 2 years would be superceded by the CPO warranty but the start date needed to be the purchase date.

So yes, bug the **** out of them to get the paperwork. I made an assumption that it was included somewhere in the paperwork that I signed when I purchased the car; It wasn't. Don't be a dumbass like me and overlook something so obvious. I still have a bad taste in my mouth, but, I love my car nonetheless.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:23 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Default thanks!

Hope I'm not going to get screwed, I clearly waited too long to follow up...but I will get on it.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:17 PM
DC968
Intermediate

Ask your selling dealer for a copy of the CPO inspection sheet. It's 2 or 3 pages of all the items they have to check over to get the car to qualify for the CPO. I got it when I purchased my 968 back in 2001 and shortly after the purchased received a packet from PCNA including wallet cards with a phone number for roadside assistance and a couple of phamphlets detailing what was covered and what wasn't (ie. rental car coverage & hotel if the car breaks down away from home).
Old 06-16-2005, 05:25 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
I had this exact question and sent an email to Porsche. They informed me that the dealer was supposed to send me a package detailing the warranty information. So I sent an email to the dealer. He said he sent it (I never got it) so he said that he would send it again - again, I never got it. After sending a number of emails to the sales manager at the dealer, I finally gave up. I did find out that it is noted in the system at my current dealership.
EXACT same thing that happened to me. All I cared about was that it was in the database. Both Porsche dealers I've gone to had no issues.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
EXACT same thing that happened to me. All I cared about was that it was in the database. Both Porsche dealers I've gone to had no issues.
Ditto...same thing here. Haven't had to go to the dealership yet, though.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Re-animator
Racer

The service advisor submits it PCNA and they send you a tin box with documentation and a detailed coverage pamphlet. I believe the dealer who does the "certification" incurs a cost to get Porsche to admit the vehicle into the factory covered status. Potentially, an unscrupulous dealer could sell the car and not to the certification process while misleading the customer into thinking that the used car purchase price included certification.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

If it were me I'd insist that the Dealer add a line in the sales contract specifying that the car is Porsche certified. Otherwise all you have is the salesman's word.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
If it were me I'd insist that the Dealer add a line in the sales contract specifying that the car is Porsche certified. Otherwise all you have is the salesman's word.
That is exactly what my salesman did. It is handwritten on the sales agreement.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:18 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased car in Feb this year--cpo car--stated that on my bill of sale. Just noticed a small oil stain in garage so made appointment with my local dealer. I took the car in and it is not in the pcna database. I called the dealer which told me that something went wrong but the car was sold to me as a cpo car. My local dealer would not work on the car unless I paid which I wouldn't. 3 days later I get a call that all is fixed and I am taking the car in tuesday. I also never received any certification paperwork.

Quick Reply: Documentation of Porche Certified warranty