996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Auto level headlights and lowered cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:07 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto level headlights and lowered cars?

I just got back from the dealer, following my 60k service. One of the issues I have is that the cars head lights just suck. I have original litronic lights. I asked the dealer to check it out, ( a second time) and I was told that the sensor cannot do its function because the car has been lowered?

I find this surprising as I have not heard of this from anyone else on the board. Further, what does the dealer do when they install x73/4 on a car? I think its BS, but just want to hear other peoples experiences with lowered cars and head lights.

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

No one, really. No one has litronic lights that has lowered their car?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have factory litronics and installed the RoW M030 later, no issues with the lights. Turn your key on and then turn your lights on - do they go through the leveling process?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:10 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I think the lights suck too, but because the cutoff of the Xenon is sharp, and in order to not blind oncoming cars, they are aimed so low you can't see a stop sign at night.

I thought initially that the autoleveling was supposed to occur while you are driving. In fact, it happens when you first turn on the car. I asked a related question on the PCA board and they said the sensors are on the suspension. There may be some issue there...

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={601F61D3-B022-4C04-AA6F-BBD54685B358}
Old 06-03-2005, 01:34 PM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is very lowered and have had no issue with the self leveling...although I do agree, these lights are pointed too low and were low even prior to the suspension modification.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I dislike most of the newer xenon lighting systems, and to a lesser extent, halogen ones as well. As bulbs have gotten brighter and brigher, engineers have had to cone down the beam to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. The result is tunnel vision--very bright light straight ahead and almost no light outside the beam width. It's very irritating in many circumstances, such as trying to see up the opposite side of a dip in the road.

I think the problem is worse in cars where the headlights are already low to the ground. Automotive engineers really need to apply themselves to this problem, and design a lighting system where the bright central area of the beam remains, with a soft, gradual drop-off in light intensity outside the primary beam.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:52 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Totally agree. I can't see squat with the Xenons and still get flashed.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:06 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds like dealer BS to me. The "base" level of the lights can be moved up or down. The autoleveling feature then compensates for vehicle pitch in order to maintain this level under accel/decel (can't say I ever really noticed).

I agree with the above comments on projector headlights. They are arguably too efficient guiding the light - leading to the trend of steerable headlights as partial compensation perhaps...
Old 06-03-2005, 06:32 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Is that auto-leveling or just the litronic powering/charging up?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:08 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Maybe dealer BS, but my lights clearly do not adjust during driving. You can hear them leveling themselves when you turn the key on.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have NO issues with my pounded C2, Xenons work well and I never get flashed from oncoming drivers, so i can only assume I am not blinding them.

Quick Reply: Auto level headlights and lowered cars?