996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

constant valve lifter noise ok?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
RCD
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Turambar, did you ever confirm your ticking source?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Jeffrey HO
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was...... spark plug with the terminal end broken off! I've been running on 5 cylinders this whole time and didn't even notice it! Luckily there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage, knock on wood.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 PM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

How big a pain in the butt is it to change a lifter on a 996?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

It is pretty involed and takes some specail tools, although you can fabricate them yourself and if your are inclined it is a DIY. Harder to do with the engine in the car, but not impossible. You have to take off the cam cover and the cams. You need a tools to lock the engine at TDC, but a pice of rod the right size will do it. Then a tool to hold the cams in place as the cam cover is part of what holds them in place. The tool goes for $200+ but you can fabricate on for only about $10 in materials. I have a drawing if you need it. Then you need another "special tool to hold the cam advance tensioner, again this can be made out of a piece of threaded rod for less than $10. Also "specail tools" to hold the cams in place when you remove the sprocket and tensioner, again I used some aluminum stock to make a tool. Once the cams are off then the lifters come right out. Technically you them need special tools to set the timing of the cams, but there is a shade tree mechanic way to mark the timing of the cams to avoid this. Again, I have done it.

New lifters cost about $50@. For 3.4's the intake and exahust lifters are the same, with 3.6 variocam plus the intake and exhaust are different. Another option is to send them to Flat 6 and they will rebuild/modify them, don't say exactly what they do but they say it will eliminate the problem. Cost is about $200 for all 12 intakes, and about $200 for all 12 exhaust.

Let me know if you are going to try it and I can give you some advaice/pointers.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We alter the internal valving of the lifters and make changes that help them resist clogging in the future that makes them not function correctly. I use these lifters in all the engines I build.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 AM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Dharm55,

Thanks for the info. I have the cdrom manual. If I tackle this I'll give you a holler. Own a machine shop so I should be able to make the tools. Might be selling the car due to need for a bigger car cause my wife got accepted into a grad program and now i'm gonna be carpool dad. Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 10-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turambar, don't worry about all this, almost 100% it's your EGR, it ticks on everyone's car and the question has been asked a bunch of times on this forum.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sheesh another 4 year old resurrection...nice, though, because I wasn't aware of the loud ticking of EGR valves on these cars. Does replacing the egr valve usually remedy it if you want to kill the noise?

Quick Reply: constant valve lifter noise ok?