996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Commute Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:36 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We love pics--any pics--your cars--your wife--your girlfriends(especially your girlfriends)--your kids--your home--just pics--

Seriously--good luck on your hunt. You'll love your 911
Old 05-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Bford100
8 miles of some nice twisties to the Metro link commuter train station. Then 40 miles on the train with coffee and the paper along side some of the most crowded freeways in So Calif. At the end of the day, back on the train, a couple of e-mails, get in the P-car and 8 miles back on the twisties to the garage!
Brad, I bet that P-car ride at the end of the day is a great stress reliever.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really comment on the daily commuting because I usually walk to work, but when I've had to stay over at my parents place (they live in CT - about an hour trip) and drive into work the following day, I cannot stand sitting in stop-and-go traffic. Although I enjoy being in the 996, sitting in traffic w/manual is just not fun. Then there is always that option to drive or take the train. Rather drive anyday of the week.

With that said, if your commute is not predominantly traffic-infested, then go with the 996 -- you will love it. But if theres more waiting then there is driving, I would personally go with a nice, luxury sedan that has a good stereo, more comfortable seats and better gas mileage. IMO
Old 05-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you get on MetroLink in San Clemente? I've notice a nice P-car (charcol TT) in the ML parking lot there!!

996pilot: I get on in Tustin, off in Norwalk. If you look waaaaay in the back of the parking lot, last end cut you will see my car (Artic Silver)

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Right on.... I have an M3....

-Eli
Old 05-18-2005, 07:13 PM
fahren affair
Pro

i did 40k miles last year in my old 996. i thought it was very comfortable for long commutes and no more tiring in traffic than my previous bimmer (m5). mpg avg'd ~23 on the hwy.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Brad, I bet that P-car ride at the end of the day is a great stress reliever.

Toally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Nice and Nice!.... I do a smalish commute compared to other posts, 40 miles roundtrip exactly... and even during bumper to bumper traffic @ 10 mph, they are to be enjoyed fully!...
Old 05-19-2005, 03:31 AM
LedZec
Advanced

Eli -- you doing the 110 to downtown? I have had some nice sprints at 0530-0600 in the mornings too...
Old 05-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Along4theRide
Great feedback so far. It sounds like this should work well for me. I have a lots of variety in my drive. It starts with about 65 miles of wide-open highway. Then 40 miles of hills and turns, country roads etc, then a relaxing 50 miles of highway of which only the last 25m or so have traffic. I guess I was mainly concerned about driving so many miles but that obviously isn't an issue. I don't have to deal with snow, but what tire setup would be good for such a variety of conditions?
More feedback. I do a 120 mile (one way)commute, twice a week, with a 60 mile rt everyday for the remainder of the week. Without too much traffic it is 2 hours door to door, and of course it can be longer. The 996 is as comfortable as any car for that long of a commute. Your left foot rests at an angle because of the intruding wheel well, and you will notice that after a couple of hours. The car's ride is smooth and the performance, (especially the brakes) makes the car a real pleasure to drive. Because the car brakes so much faster than almost anything else on the road, you learn to look in your rearview mirror very quickly when braking hard. You will also know if your tires are not balanced perfectly or your alignment is out. Unbalanced tires make noise, and it gets steadily worse as they wear. A long commute will keep you intouch with the smallest deviation in your car's performance.

For long commutes, the car is a dream, on nice days. When the weather is crappy, you feel pretty damn small on the road compared to other vehicles. By comparison I also drive an Audi A6 quattro bi-turbo, a chevy Tahoe and a 928 GT. I put the 996 away for the winter months because the inclement conditions and poor visability make commuting in heavy traffic a bit too nerve wracking. One other thing about long distance commuting in a 996 (or any Porsche). It is an ******* magnet....you have to get use to ignoring the jerks who want to race.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bford100
996pilot: I get on in Tustin, off in Norwalk. If you look waaaaay in the back of the parking lot, last end cut you will see my car (Artic Silver)
Cheers.
Yep --- I see it there most days as I get off in Tustin.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:22 AM
peachboy
Racer

Gretch, completely agree with your observation. The other day I switched vehicule with my wife and he first comment was "Do you notice that people want to speed up to you on the highway ?"...yep, learn to ignore them. The only time it makes me nervous is when you have an old car or a minivan up your **** and you sart to think about their lack of good brakes...makes you move overand let them pass you.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Yep, it is either highly defensive driving, or going like a bat out of hell.......but nothing in between. I also stay away from the front of big trucks. One other thing, after a couple hours of driving, 85 mph does not seem fast. Blip to get around a left lane hog, and be surprised how quickly you are going WAY OVER the speed limit. Being that it is a small car, it hides well in radar shadows.....you learn to get very proficient in that aspect of driving, as with laser and instant-on, detectors are usless for highway driving.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:58 AM
kupson
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why yes, I did just resurrect a 12 year old thread.

Because I'm wondering the same thing. I'm looking at a 996 C4 Cab, but for 13 weeks in the fall I will have two days a week that I have a 120 mile (one way) commute.

I know it isn't practical. I'm not worried about practical, I want the car. I know that will shorten the time for maintenance, putting that many miles on it a week.

I am just wondering, though, how bad an idea this is. You know, the idea that I'm about 99% going to do anyway.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I cannot stand being in traffic. I also cannot stand other drivers....so bus it is for me. Went to the looser cruiser about 10 years ago, and haven't looked back since.

Quick Reply: Commute Question