996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Commute Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive 100 miles round trip every day. The first 10 miles in the morning are stop and go or at least slow, highway traffic. Yes, the clutch gets annoying but I don't mind since I know I have open freeway ahead.

I picked up the 996 in January and live in Wisconsin so I've been working it into the rotation for the last few weeks. I justified the purchase by saying I would give my car to my wife ('17 Audi A4) to drive while I would daily the 996. I mix in an '82 928 sometimes too. It makes the end of the work day even sweeter knowing that I get to drive the 996 home. On days where I have something else, like my wife's old Kia Rio today, it makes the drive home a complete bore but it does remind me how good I have it with the other options.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:59 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the suburbs, and work in downtown Los Angeles. The shortest route is nearly all freeways, at 23 miles.

Usually, I drive a VW Golf to work, but once a week or so, I'll take the 996. Fortunately, I work odd hours, so the commute in occurs before traffic gets going in the morning, and I get to leave before the return trip gets too bad in the afternoon. There are a few routes available, so I may go 32 miles on the way home, if that's the quickest route.

In the 996, it takes 5 miles for the water temp to come up, and another 5 miles for the oil to come up to temp. Even in traffic, the 996 is an engaging drive, and commuting in the 996 makes for a more entertaining day.

Last edited by sfv_rider; 05-25-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Commute Question