Sponsored by:

Porsche Air Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche Air Pressure Gauge

anyone own the Porsche Air Pressure Gauge that comes in the chrome case?
Pulled over to check pressure, tires were a little low. So I went to fill up the tire some but the air pump was NG
Drove over to the next Gas Station and this time my Porsche Air Pressure gauge was stuck. The needle woudln't move?
What gives? I had to buy one of those cheapo pen gauges.
anyone know how to fix this $30 gauge before I toss in the scrap heap?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:39 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably for decoration only. Like the warning on the Techquipment Tool Kit:

"The tools are meant for recreational use only. They are not for vehicle repair."
Old 05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I think the digital tire gauges are the way to go now. They're accurate, reproducible, and cheap. I bought one at Costco that works fine and was only about $20 or so.

By the way, if you have a garage or place to keep one, invest in a small air compressor. Far easier than finding a gas station these days with a working air pump, and it's easier to check cold tire pressures at home. You need one with a tank (even one of the smaller ones will do for this purpose); the ones without a tank are agonizingly slow. Got my Crafstman compressor at Sears, about $120 or so if I remember correctly.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah I have one of those, its a generator I got at AutoZone. I use it for Autocross and to fill up my road bike everyday with this Slime adapter, works great got rid of the damn floor pump finally.
But I don't keep it in the car because I rillup my road bike tires every day. Guess I'll buy a second one.
P.S. those things are accurate within 25%
Old 05-12-2005, 06:05 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The porsche gauge stays put until you reset it. It helps you read the pressure. Since your tire pressure was low, the needle only "appeared" to be stuck, didn't it? Did you push the button to reset?

I think that the Porsche guage is awesome. I like it that the stock recommended pressures are 2.5 bar front and 3.0 bar rear, which is really easy to read on that guage.

I much prefer it to digital
Old 05-12-2005, 06:40 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I got a plastic tire pressure gauge with my car, it works fairly well. But I also have a racing tire gauge from Longacre racing that is awesome.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I have several tire gages. The only one I would even remotely recommend is the "Accutire Digital". They are about 20.00 and they are as accurate as I have ever seen. They are all over the web and you can get them in most parts stores. Toss you P/gage.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 214 Posts

I agree on the digital guage; I don't know how accurate mine is, but it does seem to be repeatable. I've found that a small change between tires seems to have a significant effect at high speed.
I also agree on the home air compressor. A nearby (West Houston) major brand filling station does not drain its tire filling lines and I have seen a WHOLE LOT of water come out of the hose. That can't be good.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:00 PM
snaproll
Instructor

If you track your car and use tire pressure(s) to adjust handling, the Tanner Racing "Airmaster"
is the way to go. Digital, reads in tenths of a pound PSI and you can track pressure histories on all four tires, along with a bunch of other functions I've already forgotten. It's also got a bleed valve that operates while the gauge is reading, so you can adjust pressures by the aforementioned .10 PSI.....
Old 05-14-2005, 02:41 AM
mmcmilla
Advanced

I've got the chrome-cased Porsche gauge (present from the wife), and I love it. You do have to press a little release valve for the needle to return to zero. I've had a couple of digital gauges before, but they were always a pain ... you have to seat the thing perfectly on the valve stem. The Porsche gauge has a cord and solid connector that seems to fit easily and well over the valve stem.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

When I bought my car, it came with 4 balloons, a digital stopwatch, and a fabric measuring tape. It's really a b*tch filling up the balloons, then measuring the circumference of each one, then calculate volume of air in cubic inches, then divide the volume by the seconds it took to fill the balloon, divided by... oh, Hell, never mind!

Just eye-ball it! If the tire looks low, add air, if not... DRIVE IT!

Last edited by gota911; 05-14-2005 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Air Pressure Gauge