Sponsored by:

LED Clear Sidemarkers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Clear Sidemarkers?

I've just swapped in clear sidemarkers and love the integrated look. However, others have posted that there are now available clear sidemarkers with LED bulbs. To install these LED bulbs, can you just buy an LED bulb and replace the existing halogen bulb, or do you have to buy an new side markers with an integrated LED bulb. I assume it is the former - which is, you just swap the bulb - but the reason I ask is because when I switched to the clear sidemarkers, it seeded like the unit was clamped shut, and couldn't be pried open to swap bulbs.

Opinions appreciated. Anybody that has a picture of the LED's installed, please post.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:55 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure but why would LED be better? If you want a white light, just put some hyper white (blue coated) bulbs. LED would probly require a new bulb socket. LED on brake light is good bc it lasts longer and lites faster. side marker doesn't serve any of those purpose and it easy to swap out if bulbs burn out.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by djantlive
Not sure but why would LED be better? If you want a white light, just put some hyper white (blue coated) bulbs. LED would probly require a new bulb socket. LED on brake light is good bc it lasts longer and lites faster. side marker doesn't serve any of those purpose and it easy to swap out if bulbs burn out.
No huge improvements, just sharper, whiter, clearer lights, that's all. Again, I haven't seen one installed, which is why I had asked pictures.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:52 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

follow the link below...

http://www.hobbystage.net/porsche/wwest
Old 05-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can definitely open up the lights and swap the bulb, people at the boxster board PPBB.com do it all the time, they put in silver color bulbs that emit an orange light or something like that. sort of overkill in my opinion.

it may also be a legal issue, you are supposed to have orange lights at the corners.

swapping out all the lights makes it look a bit ricey.

i agree clear sidemarkers are a must!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by wwest
wwest, are you talking about the blue C2 there?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:57 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try amber led's, they are clear when not illuminated. They won't show orange through ths clear lens when not ill. and should be legal. Google led, there are a few suppliers listed. You could always call if there might be any fitment questions.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, no....

The C2 had blue leds in clear markers but not on. The C4 has green and amber leds, green on normally and the ambers flash with turn blinkers.

There are no regulations, other than default***, regarding marker lights on passenger cars.

No red (in front) nor flashing.

Quick Reply: LED Clear Sidemarkers?