Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:13 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weekend project - bad news and more bad news - UPDATE

UPDATE - seats and steering wheel are now in

got the parts, sparco evo2 seat and atiwe steering wheel. got the time, the whole weekend to install but guess what? i wasn't able to install either!

first the steering wheel.
i have a set of torx bits that fit onto a hand held driver. good? nope. for one the driver is too long and hits the steering stalk and it has a collar that's too wide to prevent it from inserting. so stupid me i use an allen wrench. i torque it to untighten and feel something give. not good. i should've just waited and got the right tool.

second the seat.
dang, the power heated seat is HEAVY! at least 50 lbs. took me a while to figure out how to unhook all the wires but finally did it. sparco seat base matches the chassis holes, good, but after assembling the sliders onto the base i realized that the sliders are positioned too closely together. sparco seat base DOES NOT work! now i have to get the brey krause adapter kit and side mounts. in goes the stock powered seat (oh my achin back)

at least the stoptechs are in

Last edited by karlooz; 05-09-2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Carlos...

Been a touch bit here as well. I may even have to custom fab some of the brackets. Do me a favor...post a pic of the sparco base. I need to check something.

Chad
Old 05-02-2005, 03:27 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
Hey Carlos...

Been a touch bit here as well. I may even have to custom fab some of the brackets. Do me a favor...post a pic of the sparco base. I need to check something.

Chad

here ya go

Old 05-02-2005, 03:33 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

karlooz,
I'm not sure if I can be of help but I've installed a number of racing seats in my 996. First on Sparco sliders, which frankly I don't recommend, and later on Porsche Motorsport sliders. PM me for my number if you want to kick it around.
Jim
Old 05-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

That's a bummer Karlooz
Old 05-02-2005, 03:45 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
That's a bummer Karlooz

i know dude! i wanted it installed for the bay area gathering. between all the 996TTs and my plain jane 996 i need as much bling as i can get

just kidding, i want to get it installed in time for track day on the 15-16th at reno/fernley.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Karlooz...I think you may need to mark and drill points on the mounting base. Measure twice and cut once my friend.

Chad
Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carlos,
I see the difference now that you have posted pictures. I mounted the sliders directly to the floor. To do that you need to get the small tabs that mount to the front of the sliders.

In your pictures, you are mounting the sliders to a frame which mounts on the floor. It looks like the sliders mount inside of where it bolts to the floor. I don't see how that would ever work. Obviously way too narrow. I assume that it isn't possible to mount the sliders further out on the frame. I think they sold you the wrong parts.
Jim
Old 05-02-2005, 04:10 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
Carlos,
I see the difference now that you have posted pictures. I mounted the sliders directly to the floor. To do that you need to get the small tabs that mount to the front of the sliders.

In your pictures, you are mounting the sliders to a frame which mounts on the floor. It looks like the sliders mount inside of where it bolts to the floor. I don't see how that would ever work. Obviously way too narrow. I assume that it isn't possible to mount the sliders further out on the frame. I think they sold you the wrong parts.
Jim
hey jim,

i was thinking of doing what you did (mounting the sliders to the floor) but i think i need the brey krause adapters. it requires trimming the sparco sliders 3/4" however. also i have the option of just using the oem sliders with the BK side mounts. this will allow me to use the lap belt for the street.

what did you use?
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Carlos...

I have a set of these. If you need them, I will sell them to you with a significant discount. I won't need them. Let me know. I paid around $108 from Jason at Paragon.

Chad
Old 05-02-2005, 04:35 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carlos,
If you can return the Sparco stuff and purchase the oem manual sliders I would highly recommend it. I'm a big Spraco fan and have many products from them but the Porsche sliders are much much better. The ones I use are from Porsche Motorsports but I've been told that they are the same as the stock ones. They cost about twice as much as Sparcos but are worth it. You can also get the side mounts from Porsche although I suspect they cost more than BKs. Make sure that the BKs with work with the oem sliders. They need to have a notch cut out on the bottom.
Jim
Old 05-02-2005, 04:55 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
Carlos,
If you can return the Sparco stuff and purchase the oem manual sliders I would highly recommend it. I'm a big Spraco fan and have many products from them but the Porsche sliders are much much better. The ones I use are from Porsche Motorsports but I've been told that they are the same as the stock ones. They cost about twice as much as Sparcos but are worth it. You can also get the side mounts from Porsche although I suspect they cost more than BKs. Make sure that the BKs with work with the oem sliders. They need to have a notch cut out on the bottom.
Jim

thx jim,

i think i'll get the factory manual sliders and use the BK side mounts. it has the notch in the middle and a mounting for the stock lap belt buckle
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2005, 06:02 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, those are the right notches. I think your plan is a good one. Good luck.
Jim
Old 05-02-2005, 10:37 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
Carlos...

I have a set of these. If you need them, I will sell them to you with a significant discount. I won't need them. Let me know. I paid around $108 from Jason at Paragon.

Chad

thx chad. i'm gonna try out the oem manual sliders and BK side mounts first. i'll let you know if it doesn't work out.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:20 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default update.

finally in. used the brey krause side mounts with oem manual sliders. works great with the stock belt buckle. i seem to be at the same hieght though. kinda wanted to get lower. maybe i'll just drill a few more holes.

Quick Reply: weekend project - bad news and more bad news - UPDATE