Sponsored by:

Car drifts to the right

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:39 PM
uplarry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car drifts to the right

I have a 1999 C2 Cab with stock 17" wheels. About a month ago, I got new tires (Bridgestone RE750's) and had an allignment.

This is my daily driver so I've driven it quite a lot since I got the new tires and alighment. I've noticed that the car drifts to the right. It feels as if it's actually pulling a little bit. I feel like I have to steer a little bit to the left to keep it in line. I wanted to make sure it just wasn't tracking a groove on the road. That's why I've waited several weeks before posting this question. It's definitely going to the right on its own!

I've called the alignment shop (a very reputable shop in Northern California called "Custom Alignment") and they indicated that the 996 does not have adjustable caster alignment so they cannot fix this drift. It's still under warranty so I can have them recheck the alignment for me.

I've checked tire preasure and it is equal on the fronts and backs (front are at 34 cold and backs are at 36 cold).

Any suggestions?

--
larry
Old 04-08-2005, 01:49 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Could also be rear toe is off on one side. The rear eccentrics are a pretty goofy (but common) setup, and it's easy for them to go out of adjustment. That would be my guess. I don't think caster would affect drifting while driving in a straight-line. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:59 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried driving on a totally flat area?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:45 AM
Gnome
Racer

A lot of the roads in the Bay Area are slanted slightly to the right for drainage. With high performance tires it feels like the car is more sensitive to this. Don't know if this is for real, but I've been in a similar spot with more than one car -- alignment always seems to be ok when I check it. Next time I may check what Arenared said.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:50 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. The crown in the center of the road will make a car with a nice suspension and alignment setup veer right.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Chris79SC
Intermediate

The tire pressures you're running may be even but the rears are well below the reccomended psi...stock setup is 36f & 44r. I know everyone tinkers with this to suit their driving style but only 2 psi difference is questionable. Most owners will try to stay around the 8psi difference between f & r, give or take a couple of pounds.

Remember the 996 is very heavy rear weighted and while many people scoff at the 44psi reccomended by Porsche...after a little bit of testing it does seem to be the best for my car.

When Custom did the alignment they didn't catch the low rear pressure? I'm surprised, I hear they have a pretty good rep....
Old 04-08-2005, 12:11 PM
johnny1423
Pro

you may have a "radial pull" from one of the tires...try swapping the 2 fronts and see if it pulls to the left..if so return the tire.. if it goes straight...drive!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:39 PM
kd126500
Intermediate

I have the exact same issue. I added PSS suspension and felt that the car started to pull to the right. I had it corner balanced and re aligned and it still pulls slightly to the right. I also am running Bridgestone - S03s and was told it was the tire or the fact that this year Porsche does not have adjustable caster alignment

Let me know if you resolve this.

Quick Reply: Car drifts to the right