Sponsored by:

Porsche Service Advisors

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Porsche Service Advisors

What are your true feelings about service advisors at Porsche dealerships...Do you think they really know the cars or are they there to sell you more than what you need?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:43 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just like every profession. You get your goofs and good guys. For the most part, my dealings have been good experiences. Sure they're not on the forum 5 hours a day like some of you clowns =), but they know the common problems that come across their desk.

They're not car salesmen. LOL
Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 AM
vyper340
Pro

A little on the pompous side (IMHO) and I believe they try to charge anything they can to the customer not PNCA. As stated earlier it depends on the dealer and the guy... they're all a little different.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:27 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I've got to say the one I dealt with today was great at HR Owen Hatfield in the UK

I had a suspected RMS which Porsche GB refused to goodwill, however, after getting the car on the ramp (200 miles after they cleaned everything off) there appeared to be virtually no issue AND the advisor told me not to bother until the clutch is changed in a couple of years!!!!

AND

I had some misfires which I promptly **** my pants about. after they did some no cost diagnostics the culprit was found to be some leaves!!!!

I'm now one of the happier P-car owners
Old 04-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had absolute brutal experiences with Prestige Porsche in Nyack... my God that was painful. However, at Pepe Porsche the guys are great - no problems ever, very first class.

It's definitely hit and miss...
Old 04-08-2005, 11:12 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer has a new service advisor. You may think it sucks but he goes to the master tech whenever I have a question b/c he doesn't know ****. I get free advise from the tech and that's cool...
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My first SA was about a smart as a box of rocks.....needless to say she was fired. I couldn't tell you how many times I complained about her screwups. The best stroy about the loser was when I was having some warranty work done on the car that was supposed to take 2 or 3 days and when I called at the end of the week to pick up the car, she said "your car is ready, let me have them pull it around". And.......the car was never even touched for the 3 days it was there! It was pulled around covered in dust from being left on the back lot for the entire time! I was not happy at all. Let's just say that my new SA rocks! He is a former Porsche tech that knows his stuff and just wanted to move to the SA postion from the garage. Couldn't be happier now. But several years ago was painful.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Nothing but great service at Circle Imports in Long Beach, CA. Alberto G.& Jeff A. are knowledgable and great to work with.
IMHO I believe that as any business you will have all levels of customer service, good, bad and ugly. But I also believe that as customers we can improve on the bad & ugly to make it good and excellent, by building a strong relationship with the SA's.
Trust and respect must go both ways to attain good and/or excellent service.

My 2 centavos.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I've dealt with all types. Most are good or they get flushed quickly by the dealership. Keep in mind that their compensation is partly based on the amount of services/products they can upsell you on. So, in that sense they're really a cross between a tech and a salesman. The good ones are more of the former and less of the latter.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:09 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
I've dealt with all types. Most are good or they get flushed quickly by the dealership. Keep in mind that their compensation is partly based on the amount of services/products they can upsell you on. So, in that sense they're really a cross between a tech and a salesman. The good ones are more of the former and less of the latter.
That is exactly why you need to know their business and what makes a good customer for them. For exactly this reason I will pay my dealer to perform certain non-warranty work that I know I could do myself. For example, there is no reason to pay a dealer to change your brake pads. However, if I take my car in for warranty work and I know that I need to change the pads for an upcoming track event, I will pay them to do it for me. It saves me time and earns them some money. It also buys me goodwill because I am not viewed as a demanding jerk who only comes in when I think I can get something for free.

I actually spend some time talking with them about how they earn their money so that I can understand their business, and thus motivations, a little better.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
That is exactly why you need to know their business and what makes a good customer for them. For exactly this reason I will pay my dealer to perform certain non-warranty work that I know I could do myself. For example, there is no reason to pay a dealer to change your brake pads. However, if I take my car in for warranty work and I know that I need to change the pads for an upcoming track event, I will pay them to do it for me. It saves me time and earns them some money. It also buys me goodwill because I am not viewed as a demanding jerk who only comes in when I think I can get something for free.

I actually spend some time talking with them about how they earn their money so that I can understand their business, and thus motivations, a little better.
I feel the same way. For example, some say it's stupid to go there for an oil change & get ripped off. I agree that it's way overpriced, but they always take care of little things that I would never make a special trip for (rattles, etc), do TSB's (& common fixes) that I don't know about and they check over the whole car, giving me peace of mind. Also, the goodwill that I've built up gets me in the shop for prompt service even when there's a backlog.

Quick Reply: Porsche Service Advisors