no use fighting the MOD sickness - EVO intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no use fighting the MOD sickness - EVO intake

this thing is nice piece of kit. the main intake tube seems to be of cast aluminum and nicely krinkle coated. it was soo easy to install took about 20 minutes. the roto molded airbox is ok too but i would've been really sweet if it were carbon .

you get more of a growl from the intake and an absolute wail at WOT. it's spine tingling . it's worth soooooo much more than the faspeed kit.

i don't know if it's the placebo effect but the intake coupled with the GIAC tuning has given my 996 quite a boost at 4000+ rpms.

i think all the mods are coming together now and working well. time for a dyno run or maybe i should wait till after the 200 cell cats and fvd exhaust ?

Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coooooooolll... What's the "butt dyno" telling you? Better throttle response?

Chad
Old 04-07-2005, 08:53 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
Coooooooolll... What's the "butt dyno" telling you? Better throttle response?

Chad
the butt dyno tells me that there is actually a HP difference with the EVO where the fabspeed is just throttle response. EVO claims 25HP with tthe flash. i can't give you a definitive answer on that one though. i can really feel the difference with the GIAC flash. it just sings.

it's all about air velocity. fast in fast out.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

wow, really nice
Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Carlos, I'd love to see dyno numbers on that setup; no doubt your car is faster... that cold air kit looks amazing!

by the way... you aren't getting rid of the PSE for the FVD exhaust are you?

Peter
Old 04-07-2005, 10:41 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c70Pete
Carlos, I'd love to see dyno numbers on that setup; no doubt your car is faster... that cold air kit looks amazing!

by the way... you aren't getting rid of the PSE for the FVD exhaust are you?

Peter

ya, once i get everything in order i'll go for a dyno run. i wish i had done a baseline run before the mods but there's no way i'm gonna take all the stuff off to do it

still wavering on the fvd exhaust. hmmm...... what next, exhaust or race seats/gt3 seats or 200 cel cats or.........
Old 04-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Carlos,

don't bother taking all the stuff off - PITA

the FVD certainly doesn't sound better than PSE in my opinion and exhaust don't give you squat for hp... maybe 4 at most... I'd gor the sound... PSE is already efficient..

with your mods, headers, chip and all the rest I would guess you'd be making about 275HP at the wheels which is pretty good! what may lower your HP # is the 19" rims your running with... more rotational mass but not by much...
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c70Pete
Carlos,

don't bother taking all the stuff off - PITA

the FVD certainly doesn't sound better than PSE in my opinion and exhaust don't give you squat for hp... maybe 4 at most... I'd gor the sound... PSE is already efficient..

with your mods, headers, chip and all the rest I would guess you'd be making about 275HP at the wheels which is pretty good! what may lower your HP # is the 19" rims your running with... more rotational mass but not by much...
re: fvd exhaust.. really? i've been told that it sounds awsome. what i wanted was an exhaust that was louder and lighter than the PSE yet quieter than bypass pipes. tried GHL loud but it didn't cut it. one thing about the GHL, i found that it helped the top end. i'm hoping a freer flowing exhaust like the FVD will get the same results.

275 at the wheels? i was hoping for 280~290 . what's the loss through driveline transferrance anyway, 15% 20%?

i'll be sure to put my champion monolite 18's on when i go for the dyno run
Old 04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Karlooz,

I do not mean this as a criticism in any way, but why all the mods? Are you feeling a deficiency at the track? Do you track your car at all? Or is it just the appeal of monkeying around with new toys (which I understand)?

TD in DC
Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Karlooz,

I do not mean this as a criticism in any way, but why all the mods? Are you feeling a deficiency at the track? Do you track your car at all? Or is it just the appeal of monkeying around with new toys (which I understand)?

TD in DC
no criticism taken. i love to mod, period. it's fun and may help out on the track when i finally get on the track (i was bumped from the last PCA DE, ).

speaking of track that will be the next thing, harness bars!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:20 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Your setup will definitely benefit from a free-er flowing exhaust, FVD/Fab/RUF/GHL...whatever, with that nice looking intake. PSE doesn't flow any more than stock, it's just louder. In that sense it's just as effecient as the std exhaust ...I guess.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That airbox kit looks sweet!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:00 AM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Our Export Exhaust (I am assuming thats what you ordered) is louder and has a deeper growl than PSE. Both are great exhausts, and I agree none will give you HP so get the sound you want!
Intake looks great as well!!
Evan
Old 04-08-2005, 03:24 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

This seems like a really awesome mod.

I was wondering, has it been anyone's experience that these type of kits may nullify Porsche's factory warranty? (Hate to screw up my warranty in the frst year)
Old 04-08-2005, 03:30 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Carlos,

280-290... that's a lot even with all the mods... definitely use the 18" RG5 Monolite for testing... they are the lightest around... and if you don't want them I'll take them off your hands!

depends what kind of dyno you test on... I'd try to use a standard one (whatever standard is) something that has recored a 996 @ 255 WHP cause thats' where its at.

look forward to seeing your results.

P.

Quick Reply: no use fighting the MOD sickness - EVO intake