Sponsored by:

On The Fence About Getting a 997S

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 02:38 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On The Fence About Getting a 997S

Amigo's My local dealership is offering my a great price for my "rare" targa which is in showroom condition (that's what they say) to trade for a 997S - I listed my concerns:

1 - I love the targa Glass roof and want to keep the natural light it provides day/night - Not Sure if a Targa is in the 997 Platform Yet

2 - My Targa has been perfect, no problems what so ever, perfection thus far - why mess with a great thing ?

3 - I test drove the S and loved the power, response, but I truly didn't think It was night and day vs my modified Targa, with my Fabspeed Headers and Exhaust, my engine power and response was very, very close.

4 - Considering I use my car for mostly daily driving and the once in a blue moon (time permitting) a DE here and there, I am not sure I there is truly a benefit.

Opinions are welcome. Thank you all in advance.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I avoid 1st generation car models... jmtc.

If you really love the 997s wait a few years until they work the bugs out (if any).

Rob
Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I agree with Rob, although I think the the 997's are pretty solid (I'm not sure, despite Porsche's claims, that the technology jump from the outgoing 996 to the 997 was really any bigger than the jump from the '01 996 to the '02 996).

Nonetheless, I've been in the same camp as you; I'm tempted by the 997 (something new, after all), but I'm also pretty darn happy with my current car. I also am hoping for a 997 Targa, since I really enjoy the Targa top on my current car. So I'm going to continue to try to resist the siren call of the new car for another year or two. If a Targa is announced, however, I'll be a goner.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:38 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell us more about how the scenario developed where the dealer offered you a great price on your Targa. Were you just there window shopping when they did it, or did the offer come out of the blue? Sounds like they might have a customer who's put in a "buy" order on a nice Targa.

If their offer's that good I might condsider going for the 997. Sounds like you may have something they want. Personally I don't think I'd be too concerned about the first-gen 997S. It doesn't appear the guys on the 997 board are relating too many bad experiences, and they've been delivering 997's long enough now for those stories to start.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I was in a similar mode with my 5 month old 04 Targa when I succumbed on launch day (August 28) and grabbed a 997S. I had recently put PSE on it, a short shifter and BBS wheels. I have no regrets, I love the 997S. But, since you have a nicely modded car in great condition, do you really need to make this change now? For me, I bought the Targa without everything I really wanted on it, and it was sort of an emotional "comeback" since I had given up my 97 Targa when times got a little tough.

I once thought there was no chance of future Targa production, but things I have seen along the way finally lead me to believe that indeed there probably will be a 997 Targa in the future. The roof line was maintained on the 997, so it doesn't take much to slap a Targa roof on it. I doubt Porsche will let its "Targa" marque just die, so I'm betting we'll see a 997 Targa.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm also curious how they approached you. It sounds to me like a salesman there just wants to ring the register on a new car. I don't know what the market is like for new 997's, but it's not such a great deal if they charge you full MSRP (or sell you an over-optioned pig) if other dealers are discounting (I don't know if that's the case yet). There's two parts to the deal (the trade-in and the cost of the new car) and you've only told us about one. Also, maybe the market value of your car is higher than you think it is.

At any rate, the 4 points you made are all in favor of keeping your current ride. If you're happy (and it sounds like you are), why make the switch?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:56 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There will always be a better P-car out there. If you believed that there was a serious flaw with your current car, and there were a new P-car out there that fixes that "flaw," then you should get the new car. You sound like you really like your current car, just like I like my car. I am very susceptible to the "get the latest and greatest syndrome" so I make it a rule NOT to drive any other cars so long as I am happy with mine. When I get bored, or if there is a specific reason why I want to get rid of mine, then, and only then, will I test drive a different car.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
I avoid 1st generation car models... jmtc.

If you really love the 997s wait a few years until they work the bugs out (if any).

Rob
I can't agree enough with this statement. It really doesn't matter what brand the car it is. This statement applies. Let them work the bugs out.

Chad
Old 04-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
I can't agree enough with this statement. It really doesn't matter what brand the car it is. This statement applies. Let them work the bugs out.

Chad
Uh, isn't yours the first model year of a completley new vehicle?

I know you bought it used, but I don't think the previous owner "worked the bugs out".
Old 04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Holger B
Uh, isn't yours the first model year of a completley new vehicle?
I was wondering about that myself, but I came to the conclusion that his advice springs from experience, which is best gained as the owner of the first model year.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not sure I could go from an "open" car back to a coupe. I've been thinking about an early 996TT, and thats my only hang-up.....love putting the top down. I've read recently that a Targa 997 is being designed.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:39 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stick with the 996
The guys on the 997 forum are a**holes.......JUST KIDDING GUYS
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Wait for the 997S with a powerkit option, unless they are offering a once in a lifetime deal on the curent 997. Targa sales have been very slow around here, sounds like the salesman has a buyer lined up already.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

get away from the RMS issue riddled engine platform.

pick up a used GT3 or 996 Turbo. Done.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:03 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by mundman
stick with the 996
The guys on the 997 forum are a**holes.......JUST KIDDING GUYS
Gee, thanks. Uh, just kidding!

Quick Reply: On The Fence About Getting a 997S