Sponsored by:

Former 993 owners?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:06 PM
John Cotter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former 993 owners?????

I just got a great opportunity to drive an 2001 996 and it is amazing. What a wonderful car. This is the only P-car that I have had the opportunity to drive. But all along I had said my first one will be a 993, but since I haven't had the chance to drive one, I have questions for former owners.

After having both models, would you buy a late 993 or and early 996?

What do you like/dislike about one model over the other?

I would assume that if you had 2 equally maintained cars, the reoccuring maintenance will be similar?

Thanks for the replys.

John
Old 04-04-2005, 06:15 PM
oldtimer
Racer

had an early 993 ( Nov 93 build) and an early 996 ( Nov 97 build) . Really different cars in character and a late 993 now worth more than the early 996 ( in UK and probably in US , don't know about Germany).

You can't go wrong with either car....the 993 is closer to the heritage , I prefer the 996 because its easier to jump in and go on a day to day basis ( akin to owning a BMW or Merc but still a sportscar)
Old 04-04-2005, 06:53 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

993 servicing is also much more costly then 996 (at least at my OPC)

this was one of the things that swung it for me, as well as the fact that the 993 interior looks like a leftover from the 1970s (although it is better quality than the 996 cabin)
Old 04-04-2005, 07:51 PM
chuckla
Racer

Had a '95 993 and now have a '03 996. Simply no comparison. The 996 is so far superior in virtually every category. What an incredible car! With P cars, you need to fight thru the tradionalists who decry every new model as tho it were some kind of Ford Fairlane. Drive both and judge for yourself.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 144 Posts

Ive got em both, need em both and respect the advantages and differences. There is no 'right' answer for you, just what you prefer at the moment you decide to part with your $$ or decide its intended use. As a daily driver in traffic, 996 hands down. On a back country road, early morning. Don Henley crooning, gotta be the 993. Good to have choices in life, but definitely make one.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:23 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned a 96 993 (2 ½ years) and my current 01 996 (1 year). The are vastly different vehicles. Drive both and decide which one fits your needs and wants. Here are some quick impressions I have of both from my experience.

The 996 is faster and “easier” to drive to the edge. It is a faster car, no question in its superiority when it comes to performance. Is it the superior car for you????? that is the big question. The answer is different for each individual.

The 996 is comfortable, bigger, more ergonomic, quieter, more refined, and an all round better daily driver. This does not mean the 993 can’t be driven daily, it can. The 993 is more raw, loud, and engaging. You get wonderful mechanical sounds coming from the back at all times. It has a wonderful wail and scream when you get on the accelerator, that is muted in the 99-01 996’s.

The 996 is more comfortable for long drives. I loved the 993, but I wanted something different for daily driving and I could not afford another nice car. When I first got the 996 I was a little bummed about the lost of the rawness, but as I drove it more and more I realized it is a fantastic car to drive and that I made the right decision.

Maintenance: the rates are the same locally. The only problem is some items are more difficult to perform on the 993. However, much of the maintenance can be DIY. Read up on both models short comings and decide what is better for you. There are countless threads about this same topic.

Last edited by bet; 04-05-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:54 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
as well as the fact that the 993 interior looks like a leftover from the 1970s (although it is better quality than the 996 cabin)
This is one of the reasons I love the 993. The look and SMELL is totally what I remember from being a kid, and getting to ride in my friend's father's 911. It makes me smile everytime I get in the cockpit.
You need to drive both cars and decide for yourself. I don't think you can go wrong , either way.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the reasons I like my 996 more is that it is fast, comfortable, safer, low maintainance, reliable, and easy to drive. Not many cars can do all so well. Also, 996 cab is so much better looking than 993 cab. Having sold a rock solid RX7 TT previously, I appreciate the nice features of a modeern sophisticate 996. If you wish for louder exhaust, get a 02-04 or PSE.

C2S and C4S widebody 993 will be collector items and certainly the price reflect this. I like them but I don't want to own one for $50k. If you are really set on 993 and plan on using it during weekends, I'd not hesistate in getting a widebody as prices will hold and maybe increase if you keep it for a while.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottom line I think is that both cars are wonderful. I opted for the 996 simply b/c it is a more refined and modern car. I believe the 993 is a more bare bones sports car.I'll shut up now.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:08 AM
lexpilot
Racer

I like my 996 better than my 993. I drive it a LOT more because it has a usable trunk, better soundproofing, wider cockpit, and is much easier to get in and out of. My 1999 model has 41,000 miles on it and the survey taken on this chat room revealed that most Rear Main Seal leaks had surfaced in cars by the time they had 35,000 miles on them. RMS occurred in later model years, not just the 1999 to 2000 models. My 993 was sexier because of the air cooled whine but it was not as much fun beyond an hour in the cockpit. It is real tough to find a GOOD 993 because of the age of the cars. Most have at least minor problems such as oil leakage, etc. You'll find a cherry 996 much easier. I looked at 25 cars until I found one in excellent condition.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:30 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Had two 993's, a 95 coupe with sport suspension and seats and a 95 cab, basically a cruiser. Wish I'd kept the coupe but you can't keep everything- several Porsches I'd wish I'd never sold, but that's another story. Have a 996 GT3- my dream supercar, or as close as I'll ever get. You can't go wrong with either one but I'd probably favour a later 993 over an early 996 as they did seem to have many little problems... enjoy the decision.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuckla
......With P cars, you need to fight thru the tradionalists who decry every new model as tho it were some kind of Ford Fairlane......
Yeah, those are the guys who always say 'that isn't a real Porsche because it isn't ______ (air cooled, have two doors, doesn't have a rear engine, etc.) Why do they do that? I wonder if there similar people on Corvette forums for example?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I had a 2001 996 and had the opportunity to buy out the lease but decided to spend the same $$ on a 1997 993 with less mileage. Basically I wanted something new, always loved the look and the feel of the 993, and basically wanted to own the last of the air-cooled 911s. I used the '01 as a daily driver and now have used the 993 as a daily driver for about 8 months....

I pretty much echo what has already been said--the 996 feels faster and easier to drive, the engine spins up RPMs with ease, and the comfort factor is much higher in the 996. The 993 is more antiquated and raw, but that happens to be why I like it. Also, in Atlanta at least, 996s are a dime a dozen but you rarely see any 993s. The car gets a lot of attention and people are much more prone to ask you "what year is that, wow I never see those on the street, etc". While I don't drive the car to get attention, it's always nice to hear compliments on it

All of that said, you really need to drive both cars the way you will want to drive them when you make your choice. Figure out what you will want to use the car for [weekends? every day? trackdays only?] and judge the car based on that. They are both terrific cars, but they really are apples and oranges. Both have the flat 6 hung out over the rear axle, and both are Porsches, but the similarities end there--very different animals, the 996 and 993 are.

One thing I do know for certain--BUY ONE OF THEM!!! You'll never regret it.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 993 S from 97. Loved it for what it was, a raw almost race car. At the time it was my second car and I could just look at it in awe for hours. But the car was a bitch for everyday use and rather costly in maintenance.

I got my 996 last year. It was a more refined ride, although quicker ride. The more I drive it the more I enjoy it. It is truly a daily 911 that still kicks butt when you floor it.
I do miss the noise, the smell and the "uniqueness" but the 996 is a better everyday partner.
Further, I plan to continue to enjoy 911's and it felt like a natural step. 993 are not getting younger.

A friend of mine is looking to buy his 1st 911 in teh coming days. So we have been around a few cars. We saw this very decent 993 C4 and I felt Tons of nostalgia. Would I want to have one today. NO, not as a main car.

Either way, drive both and make up your mind. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:58 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you a skier? If so, you know that feeling of skiing really fast, under control but knowing that at any minute you may hit a patch of ice of crud and you may lose it? If so, then you know what driving a 993 is like. I've had both, and must say I am much more relaxed in my 996c4s, I don't drive in fear of the car biting me if i make a mistake.

Quick Reply: Former 993 owners?????