Sponsored by:

Another Mod: Bluetooth Car Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:10 AM
riozilla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Mod: Bluetooth Car Kit Installed

Had this installed last weekend by Jamie Rawlings (ex Paris Audio) in Pasadena. One of the best install experiences I've ever had. He cared about my car just like it was his own, and he has a very nice 2004 GT3, btw.

It was getting scary trying to drive this thing while shifting as my job requires that I be on the phone quite a bit.

Overall I am extremely happy with this kit and the install by Jamie. I am now looking at going back to him to have an entirely new audio system installed..

I decided to put the control module in the console ashtray area and the microphone up top. Everyone whom I speak with says I sound loud and clear and I've had no problems with the exhaust noise from the GHL's interfering with my conversations. The kit is the latest Sony Ericsson HCB-300 one and it works with a few different bluetooth phones I've tried from Motorola, Nokia and Sony Ericsson.

Here are some pics of the install.

Rio

Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious...what head unit are you using? Do you have the stock head unit or an aftermarket unit? Did you hook up the bluetooth unit to the car speakers and enable the auto-mute feature when you get an incoming call?

I don't talk on the phone a lot when I am driving and I use a bluetooth headseat. However, I'd definitely get the Sony Ericsson car kit if I had to -- cool setup riozilla!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 AM
riozilla
Instructor

My head unit and system is completely stock (for now). I ordered the Sony Ericsson music mute cable which is supposed to route everything through the OEM stereo speakers but Jamie told me it would not work with the OEM Porsche system I have.

But what he did do was wire the system so that it still does auto-mute the stereo when an in-coming call comes in or when I make a call, but the speaker that the sound comes out of is the speaker that came with the bluetooth kit and not my factory speakers. This speaker is mounted very far and high up into the passenger footwell and is unviewable and secured well.

It is an acceptable compromise and works great.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 AM
RLandis
Racer

That's what I miss about the greater LA area.....you can find talented people to provide just about any service you need!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:47 AM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

I have the earlier Sony Erricson in the same location. I love it. It is routed through the TrafficPro.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, I'm impressed. Do you have his contact info?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:10 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
Just curious...what head unit are you using? Do you have the stock head unit or an aftermarket unit? Did you hook up the bluetooth unit to the car speakers and enable the auto-mute feature when you get an incoming call?

I don't talk on the phone a lot when I am driving and I use a bluetooth headseat. However, I'd definitely get the Sony Ericsson car kit if I had to -- cool setup riozilla!
Programmatore,

I have exactly the same setup and I am local to you. I am going to VIR this weekend, but if you want to see my setup, we can meet for coffee the following weekend. Chuck at Myers-Emco in Seven Corners knows Porsches very well (particularly mine).

TD
Old 03-30-2005, 09:11 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by riozilla
My head unit and system is completely stock (for now). I ordered the Sony Ericsson music mute cable which is supposed to route everything through the OEM stereo speakers but Jamie told me it would not work with the OEM Porsche system I have.

But what he did do was wire the system so that it still does auto-mute the stereo when an in-coming call comes in or when I make a call, but the speaker that the sound comes out of is the speaker that came with the bluetooth kit and not my factory speakers. This speaker is mounted very far and high up into the passenger footwell and is unviewable and secured well.

It is an acceptable compromise and works great.
Riozilla,

We routed mine so that the sound comes out of the factory speakers. Let me know if you need more details.

TD
Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 AM
riozilla
Instructor

Thanks TD - It's highly likely I will be doing a complete stereo/amp/speaker upgrade in the next few weeks so it will get re-wired at that time and fully integrated. Glad you guys like it -
Old 03-30-2005, 11:45 AM
riozilla
Instructor

Here is his info:

Jamey Rawlings
Rawlings Audio Inc.
826 S. Arroyo Parkway
Pasadena, CA 91105
Old 03-30-2005, 03:53 PM
djantlive
Drifting

TD and Riotzilla - do you have Bose? I think if you have Bose, it's not possible to use Bose speakers. Can you guys confirm?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:57 PM
riozilla
Instructor

I have BOSE, Jamie said it would not work through them - so the sound comes through the included speaker from the bluetooth kit.

As I said though, in-coming and out-going calls still mute audio through the headunit the way he set it up.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by djantlive
TD and Riotzilla - do you have Bose? I think if you have Bose, it's not possible to use Bose speakers. Can you guys confirm?
Yup, I have Bose, and trust me, you can do it. You just have to be a little more creative (or hire a stereo guy who is).

I am only joking about the stereo guy crack. I really like Jamie and have used his services as well.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:44 PM
ZeeZee
Instructor

Riozilla, any range in $$ for the kit & install?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:27 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Yup, I have Bose, and trust me, you can do it. You just have to be a little more creative (or hire a stereo guy who is).

I am only joking about the stereo guy crack. I really like Jamie and have used his services as well.

Let me guess, you don't have a CDC right? The only way to connect into a Bose HU is the CDC input. That's what I have been told anyways.

Quick Reply: Another Mod: Bluetooth Car Kit Installed