Sponsored by:

Another Mod: Bluetooth Car Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:33 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
Let me guess, you don't have a CDC right? The only way to connect into a Bose HU is the CDC input. That's what I have been told anyways.
Actually, I do have a CDC. That is the key to the whole system. In fact, I use the CDC as my input for my XM satellite hardwire as well. I press cd on the head unit. If the XM unit is on, XM plays through the stereo. If I turn the XM unit off, the sound switches back to the CDC. The phone audio is run through there as well.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason for not being able to go through the head unit is probably due to MOST on '03 and up. On '02 and before, you can buy a cable through Becker. It's really an easy install, I did it one night after work.

Tom
Old 03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by TOMDEG
The reason for not being able to go through the head unit is probably due to MOST on '03 and up. On '02 and before, you can buy a cable through Becker. It's really an easy install, I did it one night after work.

Tom
Ahhh yeessss. I forgot about MOST. Sorry for getting any hopes up for you guys with 03+
Old 03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
riozilla
Instructor

To answer the earlier question, I picked up the kit (Sony Ericsson HCB-300) from www.expansys-usa.com (a reliable phone & equipment retailer I've used many times before) for about $160 and the install was about $125 or so.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by riozilla
To answer the earlier question, I picked up the kit (Sony Ericsson HCB-300) from www.expansys-usa.com (a reliable phone & equipment retailer I've used many times before) for about $160 and the install was about $125 or so.
Funny, I got my kits from expansys as well
Old 03-31-2005, 04:41 AM
phwang20
Instructor

I just use a blue tooth ear piece.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:30 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth kit installed for about a year now. It works really well for hands free but I bought a decent microphone and installed it in place of the supplied one which picked up a lot of noise. My kit is installed behind the dash and the microphone on the drivers side windscreen pillar. It even works without problems with the roof down but have to turn up the sound a bit.

This pictire is taken with the car in my messy garage. You can see the microphone on the top right corner of the windscreen pillar. There is also a switch to on/off hook the phone to the right of the console switch cluster just behind the steering wheel.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Hey Scouser,

Have you considered moving the controller to the ashtray?

I started out with the Parrot CK3000, but switched to the Sony Ericsson when I found out that brand specific car kits matched to phones seem to operate better (in the case of Sony Ericsson, it enables more features).

Hope all is well

TD in DC
Old 04-01-2005, 02:58 PM
princetonporsche
Instructor

I have a few questions:

1: I want to get a Sony Ericsson bluetooth phone from a private vendor. I have Verizon as my service provider and want to keep using them since they have the best coverage in my area. Is this possible as Verizon does not carry Sony products on its site?

2: My next question is for TD: I am in the DC area once a month. Is there a good installer that you would trust with the P car as I rather go with a bluetooth car kit rather than the OEM Porsche carkit that weds you to a particular phone model. You mentioned Chuck at Myer Emco in Seven Corners. Do they install the Sony HCB 300?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:25 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by princetonporsche
I have a few questions:

1: I want to get a Sony Ericsson bluetooth phone from a private vendor. I have Verizon as my service provider and want to keep using them since they have the best coverage in my area. Is this possible as Verizon does not carry Sony products on its site?

2: My next question is for TD: I am in the DC area once a month. Is there a good installer that you would trust with the P car as I rather go with a bluetooth car kit rather than the OEM Porsche carkit that weds you to a particular phone model. You mentioned Chuck at Myer Emco in Seven Corners. Do they install the Sony HCB 300?
Make sure that the phone is compatible with the Verizon network before you buy it. A majority of the Sony Ericsson phones are GSM phones (will work with Cingular or T-Mobile). I am not sure that Sony Ericsson makes phones for Verizon. It does not mean that you're out of luck. Some Motorola phones, the V710 for example, have bluetooth so you can check those out. Those would still work with the Sony Ericsson HBC 300.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:54 PM
riozilla
Instructor

Sony Ericsson does not sell phones in the US on CDMA technology (Verizon or Sprint).
Old 04-05-2005, 12:50 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by princetonporsche
Chuck knows Porsche inside and out, and he is a car nut that knows far more than the electronics. I trust him completely. I can most certainly install a Sony HCB 300 for you.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:52 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by programmatore
Some Motorola phones, the V710 for example, have bluetooth so you can check those out. Those would still work with the Sony Ericsson HBC 300.
True, but if I were using a Motorola bluetooth enabled phone, I would check out the Motorola bluetooth hands free kit. In my experience, although nearly all of the kits will work with any kind of bluetooth enabled phone, a car kit that matches the brand of the phone tends to work better because it can enable certain "enhanced" features.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
krisd
Instructor

Are any of you using this Sony HCB-300 with a Motorola V600 phone. I have not heard great things about the Motorola Bluetooth car kit and this is my next mod.

Thanks,

Kris
Old 04-06-2005, 11:14 PM
riozilla
Instructor

I use the HCB-300 Sony Ericsson kit with a Cingular Moto V600 every day and it works great including voice dialing which is usually where you have problems with vendor specific implementations. I generally agree that sticking with the same vendor is the right idea but I have had no problems with this mix. I also have heard that the Moto bluetooth kit is not that great - This is my 3rd Sony Ericsson BT kit though and it is very solid.

Quick Reply: Another Mod: Bluetooth Car Kit Installed