Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HELP!! I broke the header bolts off in the head!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 09:41 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!! I broke the header bolts off in the head!!

HELP
I didn't use the liquid wrench and the header bolts broke!!! 6 broke on he head luckily just snapping the head of the bolt off adn leaving ample thread, but the collector ones did the same and appear pressed in????

What would be the best way to remove the threaded remains of the bolts in the head? I have smacked them lightly with a hammer per the instructions of liquid wrench after soaking them.

Should I use a pair of vice grips and try to remove them that way or what?
Are the studs pressed in on the cats? will a simple press be ok????
Old 03-18-2005, 11:11 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Wow..... bad deal man. I dont really have too much experiance with removing broken bolts but perhaps you could try grinding a slot in the remains of the bolt so it looks like a flat head screw then trying that. That is after you soak the living crap out of everything with the liquid wrench. I've heard PB blaster works well too.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPR
HELP
I didn't use the liquid wrench and the header bolts broke!!! 6 broke on he head luckily just snapping the head of the bolt off adn leaving ample thread, but the collector ones did the same and appear pressed in????

What would be the best way to remove the threaded remains of the bolts in the head? I have smacked them lightly with a hammer per the instructions of liquid wrench after soaking them.

that sucks!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:23 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a tool for removing broken bolts, toolsource.com i think . Soak it in LW then try vise grips if you can grab it, but you may end up drilling it out.
How did you break six, I would have bailed after one.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:40 AM
turbo951fan
Racer

Bring it to a shop which know their stuff. You broke off 6, that should tell you to take a break. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Mitty
Racer

If you cannot take it to someone, try an easyout.

Good luck.

-Darren
Old 03-19-2005, 01:00 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go buy an extracter--all you do is frill a small hole in broken stud and extracter will get a grip on it--be careful with hammer--don't want to crack anything
Old 03-19-2005, 02:51 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

OMG that sucks! i didn't even have to use liquid wrench to get any of the bolts off.

i did snap one of the bolts off the cat, i over stressed and over tightened. seems to be fine with 2 bolts holding on. i fabricated a bracket that i hope will hold the sheared bolt on. i think the cat bolt is pressed on. it doesn't have any "keying" feature on either end of the bolt that would show any evidence of screwing it into the cat flange. if you find a suitable press let me know.

first soak w/ liquid wrench or PB blaster and let sit. tap the exposed bolts lightly with a hammer to help the LW/PB to work its way in and to loosen any corrosion. try wrenching it out vise grips. it may help to dremel flats onto the bolt to help the vise grips.

try bolt out/easy out something like that. if that doesn't work you can try to drill out the bolt but thats the final resort. you will probably have to re-tap the holes after fishing out the metal bits left behind. of you have completely destroyed the thread then you will have to use use threaded inserts or Heli-coils.

lastly when you do finally get things back together, use anti-seize!

GOOD LUCK!

Originally Posted by SPR
HELP

Old 03-19-2005, 12:46 PM
gpallem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean,

Sorry to hear about your trouble...but six! Like C4s Surgeon, I would have called it a day after one. I think at this point you ought to call a flat bed and have it taken to a competent shop. That should be a couple hundred well-spent.

Geert
Old 03-19-2005, 08:16 PM
SPR
Drifting

heheh thanks for all the interesting help! j/k

thanks I will have my dad fetch a set of the ez out after trying the vice grip approach and have been soaking and tapping with liquid wrench and this stuff the P car tech recommended.

As of right now at least I have the stoptechs done gt3 ducts done hubs done rear brakes done and am waiting for a 10mm flare wrench to put on the rear stainless lines then I will fill with srf bleed all around and then start tackling those header bolts!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:54 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

SPR - sounds like quite a weekend project. Wish you the best & hope it gets better from here!
Old 03-19-2005, 11:09 PM
SPR
Drifting

Everything is now done other than the header problem. I am going to pick up a reverse easy out tomorrow or maybe tonight from sears

I didn't even get to my gf's jeep. I am putting on pads, changing the fluid and header
Old 03-20-2005, 02:04 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPR
heheh thanks for all the interesting help! j/k

thanks I will have my dad fetch a set of the ez out after trying the vice grip approach and have been soaking and tapping with liquid wrench and this stuff the P car tech recommended.

As of right now at least I have the stoptechs done gt3 ducts done hubs done rear brakes done and am waiting for a 10mm flare wrench to put on the rear stainless lines then I will fill with srf bleed all around and then start tackling those header bolts!

OOOHH. post pics of the stoptechs. did you do front and rear? my car is going in on monday for the fronts.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:55 PM
SPR
Drifting

I only did the front as there is not much benefit from the rear given the demands of the braking system etc. I am going to take the car down to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:15 PM
SPR
Drifting

Well I am trying to get an appointment at a dealer locally here. I called autogallery- nothing till wednesday. I have put calls into rusnak and bh porsche and am awaiting calls back. Anyone have any further suggestions for getting it in asap? Thanks

Quick Reply: HELP!! I broke the header bolts off in the head!!