Here is my take on the RMS bull s*&t

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here is my take on the RMS bull s*&t

Ok

I cant take it any more........I am always reading about RMS failure.This is how i feel about it, I have a MY 04 C2 and my RMS was done on the car with around 8,000 k I saw 2 or 3 drops on my garage floor over a period of 2 months. Now this is how i see it, this a very easy item to replace under warranty right, well I think most P-car dealers are privately owned, so ask yourself this if it were your business , and a car came in for a repair, and the RMS pays 10 hours and you can do it in 4...wouldn't you replace it, needed or not. Now i know there are some real problems cars but come on!!I believe this RMS thing is not as big as everyone makes it out to be.Now i know i will **** a few of you off , but i am prepared.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:30 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't **** me off. I believe many seals have been replaced unnecessarily along with many other services on the cars. Some people believe anything their dealer tells them without any investigating themselves. But then again, there are also those people who think they get a better quality oil change by paying the dealer $150 for one.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Paul, I'm with you 100%. It's just a damn seal for craps sake. I don't think it's any dastardly indictment of Porsches loss of quality or anything else. These are the finest cars around, if they need a seal, so what. A couple of months ago I thought I had an RMS myself, I tortured myself, for what? A freakin' seal. As it turned out mine was fine. Now I may get a leak later, so what, sh%t happens, it's not the end of the world.
FWIW, my dealer told me Porsche now has a third generation RMS repair protocol started 11/04, since the new fix, no relapses at least through my dealer.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:03 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Yea Chris i remember when yours happend............Its ok then and now, as i said then Lets keep the faith!
Old 03-03-2005, 12:08 AM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately some of it is indeed true, but it always amazes me that people will so freely hand over their money without due dilgence. Likely I have a family member who is a mechanic of high end sports cars so I will usually take him with me on any major repair issues. But even if I didn't , I would request an estimate before any repairs are commenced and it is my right and reponsibility to get other estimates to verify my purchase.

As for the RMS issue..............it is not an uncommon occurrence in most sport cars and I agree not a big issue other then the cost for those out of warranty. In saying that, however, there is no reason why a vehicle that costs as much as a Porsche should suffer from engine failures or any MAJOR mechanical failure of any kind for that matter.

As a business owner, my philosophy is to provide the best possible service at the best possible price. If a mistake is made...............FIX IT and apologize for the mistake. If it happens again, fire those responsible and FIX THE PROBLEM.......... or suffer the consequences long term. It's up to all business owners to earn the repect of their clients, and more importantly to keep the respect in order for continued future business with the same clients.

RMS is a very talked about topic. Everyone on every chat forum knows of the flaw with these cars. Wether the problem is over exagerated or not is un-important and irrelevent . The fact of the matter is that it has now become PUBLIC PERCEPTION that all Pcars suffer from RMS flaws. This needs to be addressed by Porsche immediately . Until this perception is changed, future owners of these cars will continue to purchase extended warranties in fear of major engine failures and continue to suffer large yearly depreciation rates.

Only time will tell for Porsche!

For myself ........ well......... it's too late. I made up my mind that I will not purchase another 996 or 997 until the issue of RMS is addressed. And certainly not until PUBLIC perception goes back to the days when Porsche was known for producing BULLIT PROOF vehicles. Perhaps a Turbo model, but certainly not a 996/997 or for that matter a 998.

I'm still waiting for an explanation by Porsche!

Cheers and safe driving.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

>>>Flame Suit On<<<

I am 100% with you on this.

There are always some out there with problems. Not a single car company out there is immune.

My car had signs that an RMS failure was coming. You know...a little moist. That is all. The car had 25K on the ticker when I bought her and no warranty. After some constant driving and 2500 miles later, the leak appears to have cured itself. It's leak. Simple as that a leak. My personal philsophy...it's a car. Drive and enjoy. If it breaks, fix it. The 944 guys pay for the damn belts to be done every 30K for Christ's sake. And they are $250-350 for the whole deal. It's not a big deal IMO. Besides, if mine goes, I am prepared to do a LTW fly, clutch and a custom LSD all at the same time. Too much hype...just drive the damn things... I will be.

That is all from this p-car nut. cheers...

<<<<Flame suit off>>>>

Chad
Old 03-03-2005, 12:21 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

RMS leaks happen in GT3, TT as well, just not as frequently. It is a minor problem, but Porsche should do as ford did with the gt and issue a recall and replace the seals. Maybe they figure it is cheaper to fix them as they come in, who knows.
I'll still buy another porsche when the time comes, I love these cars.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:30 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

All good points, but a big part of the problem is some( not on this very smart boared) are NOT educated about the problem.Should it fail hell no, but it does and it will, but If i knew then what i know now.........I would have still bought the p-car , and why because I have wanted one since i could say the word porsche............I love this car for all of its points , good and bad. However with that being said I would like to see Porsche stand up , be men and say" Sorry we have an issue , and we will do what ever it takes to make EVERY owner happy"
Old 03-03-2005, 12:31 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

couldn't agree more... quite frankly im sick of hearing about it -- just deal with it people! (i just jinxed myself -- im next)
Old 03-03-2005, 12:32 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I would basically agree that, if its just a seal, in the big picture its not that big a deal. However, don't forget there seem to have been more than a few circumstances where you can't fix the seal and you need a whole new engine - that aspect of RMS is a big deal and a recurring problem that should have been fixed. Because of that, I really wonder if I want to own a 996/997 which is no longer under warranty.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kilrgt
..I love this car for all of its points , good and bad. However with that being said I would like to see Porsche stand up , be men and say" Sorry we have an issue , and we will do what ever it takes to make EVERY owner happy"
I think that's a fair comment. The problem is PAG is standing up to warrantied cars, but not those out of warranty.

There's the rub, they continue to build defective engines without telling the new buyers there is a defect.

They should either fix it or tell people about so they can make up their own minds at time of purchase.

As you can see by the posts a lot of people will think it's only an $800 problem while others will view it as a misaligned eng/trans and pass on the purchase.

Just my .02
Old 03-03-2005, 12:56 AM
itradem
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a question, but let's assume the worst... you notice an RMS leak, chalk it up as a leak, and keep driving when really the crankshaft and tranny are out of alignment??? What would be the potential damages here beyond replacing an engine that would need to be replaced anyways?

I guess my question is whether the "preventive maintanence" of changing leaky seal is really worth it... or are you tripping over dollars to save some pennies here?

Any logical thoughts are welcome.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:33 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok

I cant take it any more........I am always reading about RMS failure.This is how i feel about it, I have a MY 04 C2 and my RMS was done on the car with around 8,000 k I saw 2 or 3 drops on my garage floor over a period of 2 months. Now this is how i see it, this a very easy item to replace under warranty right, well I think most P-car dealers are privately owned, so ask yourself this if it were your business , and a car came in for a repair, and the RMS pays 10 hours and you can do it in 4...wouldn't you replace it, needed or not. Now i know there are some real problems cars but come on!!I believe this RMS thing is not as big as everyone makes it out to be.Now i know i will **** a few of you off , but i am prepared.
10 hours will run you about $1k. I know two people in town who are on their 3rd failed RMS in less than 1 1/2 years (one of those two has had 3 fail IN a year!). When the warranty is out, what's potentially $3k/yr in RMS repairs anyway? No biggie, right? I mean Jesus, they've had NINE model years to fix this problem. That and the fact out of warranty RMSs can (and do) add up is entirely unacceptable.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A leak is a leak is a leak. You can't see droplets of oil on your garage floor and not pay attention to it and have it be on your mind. You guys kinda sound like you're in denial.

It IS an issue. Perceived and real.

Porsche been the opposite of proactive in addressing all the questions and doubts. Makes the non-GT/Turbo 996 Carrera all that much less desirable, though still very desirable, but out of the lineup, almost undesirable.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:59 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok

I am so sick of this RMS bull crap...I look at it this way. If it leaks then you got to fix it and pay the price. I know two shops in the area that can fix a RMS in 4 to 6 hours...Local Porsche dealer charges a full day rate and then some...why do you suppose that is?

The RMS issue has been so blown out of proportion it has become laughable. If and when it happens to my cars then I'll deal with it. I just wish those that belly ache about it try to get a life and try to understand that it happens to some P/cars but not all AND it happens to other marques as well.

I just wonder if all the abuse that a lot of P/owners put their cars thru and brag about just might have something to do with the fact that the RMS blows...who knows...I sure don't...I have just heard about all I want to hear about RMS issues...for Christ sake its just a damn oil leak that can be repaired!!

Quick Reply: Here is my take on the RMS bull s*&t