996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Here is my take on the RMS bull s*&t

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of crap have you started now KILRGT?

Suspension time yet?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:38 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Alon I hate the word RMS now after going thru this bored. I have a wedding tomorrow so its no good, but we can hook up sunday for a coffee....Hey did your friend buy that car??
Old 03-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

He did put in an offer subject to an inspection by his mechanic (tomorrow). Another wedding? You have too many single friends. Don't forget, every wedding attended puts a dent into your 996 mod budget.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kilrgt
.....I know after having a RMS leak, it doesn't change the fact how i love this car,after 7 it would. I just know i wouldn't buy a 997 .
I have said this before, it's not the car its the company. I am a long time Porsche owner having owned 2 other 911's since 1979 and my 996 is my 3rd. Porsche should be more sypathetic towards its loyal customers. If Porsche would just fix my engine and be done with it then I wouldn't be moaining. I love the car and that's why I will keep it so long as I can afford to do so. I hope to own it for many enjoyable years to come, but it will be my last Porsche. Not because I don't like the car but because I feel that the companies arrogance and lack of compassion towards its customers as well as its failing to put this problem to bed has failed it. Porsche should be asahmed of themselves for letting this RMS issue go on without even a sign of hope of it ever ending and I am not the only loyal Porsche owner/customer they will lose because of it.

As for getting rid of the car, that's not an option. I have too much invested money in this vehicle. Even if I have to purchase a new engine in the future I intend to keep it and run it to the ground. It's a great car and I intend to use it and enjoy it and to hell with the company that built it. But I will not give up the fight and I simply don't give a damn if my or other posters RMS threads bug you. In fact I look forward to seeing many more RMS threads until this problem is finally resolved. If you don't like them then don't read them.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:04 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Scouser,

I thought you bought your 996 used, not new.
Quite a bit of a different situation - that I don't think you could expect Porsche - or any manufacturer for that matter - to be responsible for.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Where did I say in this thread that I bought it new or used RR? And what has this bit of trivia got to do woth this thread?

Yes, I bout this car used with 562 miles on the clock. It was bought 3 weeks after it was delivered from a company owned by a friend that went chapter 11. I took over the car with full warranty and while it was bought used, it was all but a formality. Had I not bought the car and carried on the payments for it through Porsche finance then Porsche's only option would be to reclaim it back under English law. They would then have had to sell it used. So if anything I did them a favour but for all other intents and purposes it was a new car. Regardless, I expect Porsche to be responsible for the machinery they build and especially when it has an in-built design flaw.

In previous posts RR you simply just want to flame me for no reason and without provocation. So, I will give you the benfit of the doubt here, if you wish to just flame me as per usual then i will just ignore your posts. If you want to carry on a decent open minded discussion on this topic then that's fine with me. But the second I see you just "having a go" as per usual, I will just ignore you. However, please get your facts right first.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Webtool
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix? There is no fix.
A complete engine re-design is required to cure this. The question remains is it worth it to Porsche. The answer to that comes down to whether or not P sees this as a threat to their income.
I'd buy another 997 or lease actually but thats because there is that lovely warranty underneath the whole deal, oh yeah almost forgot, and they are spectacular cars.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Scouser.. yes I had my issues last year with my 996... spending $47,000 in repairs in the first 1,000 miles of ownership sure put a damper in my feelings towards porsche.. yet it doesn't mean i don't enjoy the car intensely... it's the company itself that needs to get a clue, and realize the people with the money to afford these cars, hate being taken advantage or ignored about problems or being told they are at fault for reasons not of their own..

basically, with RMS and other engine issues which they refuse to acknowledge, by porsche charging us all for them.. they are saying:

"you have enough money to pay for our mistakes.. now shut up and pay for our mistakes or buy a new porsche and we'll pay for our mistakes for a few more years until it's out of warranty, and then buy another new porsche... etc.. nice profit model.."

i'm still wondering why a lawyer doesn't form a class action lawsuit against them...regardless of what anyone thinks about RMS, personally i think it's complete BS that the 997 was released with the same exact flaws.. One must remember that this engine was most likely fully developed and tested 8-9+ years ago.. not 6.. (in 1997 they were track testing the 996) they know what's going on, they just realize that most people don't have access to the internet to share the stories, so they don't worry about the less than 1% of porsche owners discussing these problems together on the internet, when 99% of people think it's their own porsche's fault, and that it's a rare occurance..

it's cheaper for them to ignore, than start over again... pure profit motivated and greed... that's what it comes down to.. they have plenty of money now, and don't seem to feel the need to use any of that money on any of their loyal customers to fix problems they have created... i have $47,000 less in my bank account to prove it...

Last edited by bobporsche996; 03-04-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
I agree with Scouser.. yes I had my issues last year with my 996... spending $47,000 in repairs in the first 1,000 miles of ownership sure put a damper in my feelings towards porsche.. yet it doesn't mean i don't enjoy the car intensely... it's the company itself that needs to get a clue, and realize the people with the money to afford these cars, hate being taken advantage or ignored about problems or being told they are at fault for reasons not of their own..

basically, with RMS and other engine issues which they refuse to acknowledge, by porsche charging us all for them.. they are saying:

"you have enough money to pay for our mistakes.. now shut up and pay for our mistakes or buy a new porsche and we'll pay for our mistakes for a few more years until it's out of warranty, and then buy another new porsche... etc.. nice profit model.."

i'm still wondering why a lawyer doesn't form a class action lawsuit against them...regardless of what anyone thinks about RMS, personally i think it's complete BS that the 997 was released with the same exact flaws.. One must remember that this engine was most likely fully developed and tested 8-9+ years ago.. not 6.. (in 1997 they were track testing the 996) they know what's going on, they just realize that most people don't have access to the internet to share the stories, so they don't worry about the less than 1% of porsche owners discussing these problems together on the internet, when 99% of people think it's their own porsche's fault, and that it's a rare occurance..

it's cheaper for them to ignore, than start over again... pure profit motivated and greed... that's what it comes down to.. they have plenty of money now, and don't seem to feel the need to use any of that money on any of their loyal customers to fix problems they have created...
What would be your cause of action? Is Porsche honoring its warranty? It appears from all signs that it is. Does anyone have a legal right to force the factory to pay for repairs that occur outside of the warranty? No, the warranty contains an explicit time/mileage limit. Has anyone been physically injured by an RMS failure (in other words, is the RMS defect an inherently dangerous flaw)? No, I doubt it. Does Porsche contain misleading advertising regarding the reliability of its RMS? No, it doesn't mention RMS in its ads. Sadly, the fact that the problem is fairly well known also reduces the likelihood of success. I just don't see any legally cognizable claim that is not frivolous. If I am missing something, please articulate your theory.

In reality, I think that the people who have a beef with PCCBs have a far, far stronger case. If I didn't like Porsche so much, and if I were a plaintiff's attorney (I am not), I would take that case.

Just my two cents.

Yes, I have had three RMS failures (one on the Boxster S) and two on the Targa. I don't like it, but it isn't anything to sue over.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Finally someone who makes sense.
This post is ridiculous, ONCE AGAIN.
We really have nothing else to do, when we begin to carry on like old bittys.

Let's close this one.
Really guys this horse has been beaten.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

TD, good point, as common as this problem seems to be, if it had any legal merit there would have been a class action suit long ago. I imagine a few owners out there are lawyers anyway, maybe they'll chime in on this point.
Chris
Old 03-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Ok

I cant take it any more........I believe this RMS thing is not as big as everyone makes it out to be..

Me either........ I have done three(3) RMS's this week..................
Old 03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At one point in time I was actually having conversations with a law firm about a possible cause of action. Let me tell you where the problem is. For a suit to proceed forward, you need an engine expert who can testify about the issue. Not someone who is technically competent, but an actual expert who could be qualified as such under oath. The only individuals who really fit the category are those working for Porsche as techs in their shops. Do you think you are going to get one of them to testify. It's not going to happen. Or you could try to get someone like Bruce Anderson, but I seriously doubt whether he would do it. He has an excellent relationship with the factory and is certainly not going ruin that relationship. Therein lies the major stumbling block to anything ever happening in a court of law.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
At one point in time I was actually having conversations with a law firm about a possible cause of action. Let me tell you where the problem is. For a suit to proceed forward, you need an engine expert who can testify about the issue. Not someone who is technically competent, but an actual expert who could be qualified as such under oath. The only individuals who really fit the category are those working for Porsche as techs in their shops. Do you think you are going to get one of them to testify. It's not going to happen. Or you could try to get someone like Bruce Anderson, but I seriously doubt whether he would do it. He has an excellent relationship with the factory and is certainly not going ruin that relationship. Therein lies the major stumbling block to anything ever happening in a court of law.
With all due respect, I do not buy that. With the right amount of money, you most certainly could get an expert that would be qualified enough to testify in support of a class action.

Again, though, the far bigger problem is that there does not seem to be a cause of action. What was the theory of your case?

P.S. I am not talking about individual cases where a Porsche Dealer is not honoring a warranty. Of course certain individuals may have been damaged and may have a case. I am talking only about CLASS ACTIONS which require that all class members share the same interest.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:46 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
TD, good point, as common as this problem seems to be, if it had any legal merit there would have been a class action suit long ago. I imagine a few owners out there are lawyers anyway, maybe they'll chime in on this point.
Chris
I confess that I am an attorney (and an engineer). That is why I could not stay quiet any longer. You know how hard it is for attys to keep their big mouths shut.

Quick Reply: Here is my take on the RMS bull s*&t