996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Annoyed with exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:29 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have Fabspeed on my GT3 and they sound like the OE set should have sounded. There is absolutely no cabin resonance. I can't imagine a better sounding system. But to each his own.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:54 PM
TurboMark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth --- I bought an aftermarket muffler, thought it sounded great, but decided to return it. Why? I decided after the first 5 minutes that I was not a loud(er) muffler guy and that stock was OK for me.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Limey
AutoX

The resonance should go away when you have some miles on them; the muffler packing takes time "settle in". Mine sounded great (with no resonance) although now I'm ditching it in favour of bypass pipes. The total sound package was also helped by an Evo intake.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default ?

I’ve read all comments and yes sound is definitely something that is different from quality. It’s sort of like taste, not everyone likes caviar and not everyone likes beer with pizza.

In short it boils down to what your taste in sounds is and it must be one hell of a job as a vendor or to a manufacture to please the crowds when everyone wants to sound better than the next guy or a ting instead of a ping or a roar instead of a purr…. You get the picture…

I’ve recently teamed up with GHL to offer out their systems because I know that the quality of their products is top notch and because they offer a MONEY BACK guarantee!!! If you are unhappy with your purchase simply return it within two weeks and that’s it!!!! How much better does it get?

Here’s the link that I posted last week…… https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=ghl

If you’d like to give GHL a Money Back Guarantee try then feel free to contact me directly at eli@pelicanparts.com or (888) 280-7799

-Eli
Old 02-22-2005, 07:06 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Bottom line if you're not happy with the Fabspeeds, send them back. Joe is a good guy and will treat you right. Be careful what you wish for, PSE are not exactly quiet either. Any performance muffler is going to be loud, but how much is acceptable is an individual question. For example, I recently heard fabspeeds on a 993, easily twice as loud as my car.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:10 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds like you ordered the fabspeed muffler bypass, and not the fabspeed mufflers.. did you pay $395 or $495 for it? the bypass sound describes what you are talking about...

the fabspeed muffler bypass (which i have on my 996) is extremely intense.. it's not necessarilly ricey, but since the engine is in the rear, and the exhaust is right next to it.. it's pretty much as intense or comparable to an open exhaust harley when it's WOT if anyone wants to compare how loud it is..

car enthusiasts will be wowed.. non car people will be annoyed.. it sets off every single alarm within 1/2 a mile from your vehicle at WOT and 1/4 a mile when driving at regular speeds.. the fabspeed muffler bypass can't really be described, but it's like it says in the ad, just like a cup car on the track.. it is damn loud.. no exhaust for the porsche can even compare.. YET.. at certain times it can sound ricey or have some resonance at times... depending on how you engage the gas at certain rpms..
Old 02-22-2005, 11:16 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
it sounds like you ordered the fabspeed muffler bypass, and not the fabspeed mufflers.. did you pay $395 or $495 for it? the bypass sound describes what you are talking about...

the fabspeed muffler bypass (which i have on my 996) is extremely intense.. it's not necessarilly ricey, but since the engine is in the rear, and the exhaust is right next to it.. it's pretty much as intense or comparable to an open exhaust harley when it's WOT if anyone wants to compare how loud it is..
its defintely the mufflers - i paid 1100 inc tips...

i'm a big fan of formula 1 and I don;t have an issue with a LOUD exhaust... its just the sound and the resonance which vibrates interior trim which i can't deal with on a daily driver

when crusing at 55 in 4/5th and i accelerate the sound in nothing like an engine sound, more just a loud deep mooing - maybe i'm driving a 911 COWerra..

its all subjective - I will give it a couple more days and if i can;t cope i will speak to fabspeed about a return...

anyone have sound clips of the PSE/GHL? (i did a search for the GHL)
Old 02-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the PSE... the moooing describes the fabspeed very well... PSE makes a porsche sound like a porsche... the fabspeed is just plain loud.. IMHO.

You won't be dissapointed with PSE...

A guy I know bought the fabspeed and noticed I had put on PSE... he said "mine is louder" and I'm thinking.. maybe but it doesn't sound as good.... louder ain't better.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by c70Pete
Get the PSE... the moooing describes the fabspeed very well... PSE makes a porsche sound like a porsche... the fabspeed is just plain loud.. IMHO.

You won't be dissapointed with PSE...

A guy I know bought the fabspeed and noticed I had put on PSE... he said "mine is louder" and I'm thinking.. maybe but it doesn't sound as good.... louder ain't better.

just sent you a PM
Old 02-23-2005, 10:52 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

P car fan just get the pse so you will be happy.
What are you doing driving 55 LOL?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJ 996
What are you doing driving 55 LOL?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:05 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

It's OK to go 55. You just have to be in 2nd with your foot in it on the way to more fun!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

P car fan,

I have the fabspeeds and love them. And I have a cab. I can hear my wife's cell phone beeping in the glove compartment of her car outside my house with all windows close and I can't hear any resonance with my fabspeeds on my 911. Are you sure it's installed correctly? It is very easy to not tighten everything down due to the constrained space.

Before purchase, I heard the fabspeed and PSE head to head. No comparison in my opinion. The PSE sounded stock upon car start and, although a more "sophisticated" sound when running through the gears, it was just too sedate for me. I also heard the GHLs seperately but by then I was sold on the fabspeeds.

My only complaint about the fabspeeds is that it has mellowed in the year+ since I installed them, not much but I notice that (too).

Cheers
Old 02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
TurboMark
Pro

This is a really subjective topic based on the fact that most people have had exposure to only one or two of the exhausts. It would be great to have a 'true' comparison of the base Fabspeed, PSE, and GHL.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 PM
rjn1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Link

The above link has a few in-car clips of a 2003 C2 with PSE which may help out in a decision. If you hunt around you may find a clip called nutsplus2.wmv from one of (I think) the Texas based members called Scott who in that clip shows various standing start and fly bys of '03 (3.6) PSE, '02 Fabspeed, '00 (3.4) PSE, 03 C4S Stock exhaust, 04 Turbo stock exhaust.

Quick Reply: Annoyed with exhaust mod