996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Annoyed with exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I AM ABOUT TO ORDER THE FABSPEED . I NEVER HEARD ANYONE COMPLAIN LIKE THIS B4. I HOPE SOMEONE WILL DEFEND THEM OR IS THIS THE COMMON FEELING ABOUT FABSPEED. I BASE MY DECISION ON THE VIDEO AND SOUND CLIP AND NOW I HEAR A GUY SAY THEY SOUND RICEY? THAT WOULD NOT BE ACCEPTABLE. THEY SEEM TO HAVE THE BEST CONSTRUCTION THAT I COULD TELL AND THE LOOK LIKE JEWELRY. ANYWAY, SHOULD I CONSIDER ANOTHER SYSTEM OR STAY WITH FABSPEED....JEFF
Old 02-22-2005, 11:19 AM
mightytaco
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PSE Rasp is quieter though and I finding it much more pleasing to the ear. I heard a Fabspeed once but found it way too loud and "throaty" (not sure how to describe it) for my tastes.

In my opinion, the GHLs were a better sound to my ears, with the PSE being the best sounding of the three. If you like the PSE sound, the GHLs are probably a bit closer to that.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:20 AM
turbo951fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is common on the 951 board. People start bashing a vendor in order to promote another one. Or it's just pure personal. I bought the fabspeed because of the many good responses here and because I know their quality. I am getting my 996 this week :-) and I will give some feedback to what I think.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

P-car fanatic,

Well, the Ferrari 355 has a short stroke V8 engine with a very high pitched exhaust note and the GT2 has the engine block from the race bred Porsche GT1, with internals that does not share a whole lot with a standard 996. The only common things between the 996 and GT2 engine is that they are both 6 cylinder boxer engines and yes, they both run on petrol but that's about how much the two have in common. Let's compare apples with apples and not apples with oranges!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
I'm considering that possibility too

with the PSE rasp - can you hear the engine itself?
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater... double check all the mounting points as your complaints of resonance are out of character for a Fabspeed exhaust.

The raspy sound of the PSE is probably more traditional than the throaty sound of the Fabspeed. Sound quality and tolerance for sound levels is all personal preference. I only found the Fabspeeds lound when under load. When cruising they were pretty quiet without souding like a Lexus. I found the PSE pleasing to the ear, but a bit more subtle. My choice of the Fabspeeds was based on their reputation for quality, the price, and the reduced weight over stock and PSE. I would certainly consider Fabspeed should I decide to make the mod to the GT3.

Disclaimer... no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:18 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

mundman:
I really like my Fabspeed. I think it sounds excellent. Ricer is not something I would use to describe the sound. When I first heard it I was a little taken aback, but even the girlfriend prefers the Fabspeed and does not think its loud. I have heard that if its new, it needs a little time to break in. The build quality is second to none as well. The PSE, in my opinion, is a "why bother" change.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:27 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I have Fabspeeds and I don't find them too loud at all, unless you're lugging the engine, build quality and fit/finish are the best. The PSE sounds good but IMO there are some build quality issues on the early versions for sure, the valves are prone to rattles as they loosen up. I also found them not loud enough at the track, especially when in traffic.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:55 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

What Sloth said. Double check and make sure that everything is on properly before you throw them out.

I have PSE and it sounds nice!!! Im very interested in what the others(GHL, Fabspeed) sounds like since I have never heard them before.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:56 PM
JJS 03S
Instructor

I had Fabspeed mufflers installed on my 2004 Carrera coupe and am very pleased with the results. I don’t think there is a definitive answer as to which brand of muffler sounds best. To my ears, it now sounds like it should have sounded from the factory. Everyone has valid likes or dislikes about particular sounds, about the same as why some people like or dislike a particular type of food. I love the sound of my Fabspeed. But then, I like Brie.
-my .02

Last edited by JJS 03S; 02-22-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a fabspeed muffler ......Mine sounds like a ricer honda civic!!!.....it does not really sound much like the video they have on their website....seriously, the resonance in the cabin makes the center console and some window trim vibrate - its getting on my nerves
Doesn't Fabspeed has "Satisfaction Guranteed" policy? Can't you return them?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the PSE and they sound sweeeeeeet.... I've NEVER heard of a complain for Fabspeed... seems Fabspeed or PSE is the way to go if your upgrading... maybe you just got a bad set or something else is wrong.. but then again how hard is it to hookup mufflers???!!
Old 02-22-2005, 02:26 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by mundman
I AM ABOUT TO ORDER THE FABSPEED . I NEVER HEARD ANYONE COMPLAIN LIKE THIS B4. I HOPE SOMEONE WILL DEFEND THEM OR IS THIS THE COMMON FEELING ABOUT FABSPEED. I BASE MY DECISION ON THE VIDEO AND SOUND CLIP AND NOW I HEAR A GUY SAY THEY SOUND RICEY? THAT WOULD NOT BE ACCEPTABLE. THEY SEEM TO HAVE THE BEST CONSTRUCTION THAT I COULD TELL AND THE LOOK LIKE JEWELRY. ANYWAY, SHOULD I CONSIDER ANOTHER SYSTEM OR STAY WITH FABSPEED....JEFF

the video makes it sound mechaincal - which is what i like

in reality it seems boomy with no real definition

i get the the impression that if i put it on my niegbours volvo or jetta it would sound the same

i'm not bashing fabspeed, sound is personal taste and i definitely don;t track it as much as other members here

they do look awesome, but i am not sure i can live with the resonance or the likelihood of people mistaking me for a ricer

right now i am leaning towards PSE
Old 02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is something inherent with the new, liquid cooled motors that make the exhaust's sound resonate making it sound almost electric or man made so to speak. I've heard most of them, and I completely prefer the sounds of the air cooled exhausts better.

Does anyone know what makes the exhaust sounds different on the 996, from the 911, or 993. Again I am talking about exhaust sound and NOT engine sounds - obviously on the aircooled engines there is more and nicer IMO engine sounds.

Is it the firing order of the pistons that most effects exaust sound?
Old 02-22-2005, 03:44 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

right now i am leaning towards PSE
I also could not live with the resonance but I don't know if I can justify price defference. Sure would love to hear them in person but the p-car population in Albuquerque is small. Also curious about the sound difference with an intake kit(Fabspeed or other). It will still be 2 weeks b4 I get my car as Passport is shipping it from PA....Jeff
Old 02-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

The price diff between PSE and all others is well worth it, IMHO. I've heard them all live, and I bought the PSE. It is definitely a personal choice, as all the owners of the cars I've heard with their various exhausts love what they got.

Another personal choice. I think the 996 watercooled with PSE sounds WAAAAY better than a 993 with motor sound. Both as a driver listening while driving, and as a spectator as the cars are exiting the turn and blasting down the front straight.

Quick Reply: Annoyed with exhaust mod