Sponsored by:

Garage Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 03:04 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Lifts

Wondering if anyone has any pictures of garage lifts installed. Would like to see if I can find one that fits into my garage. Any pro's/con's dangers to be aware of etc......would be helpful.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2005, 03:08 PM
dallasboats
Pro

There is one in the back of the new Excellence magazine that claims to be half height and will fit into any garage. Of course, this will not allow you to stand under the car.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:10 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

What is your ceiling hieght, and what type of garage door do you have?
What is the clear hieght when the door is open (if it is an overhead door)?
Is this to park 2 cars, or to work on one car?
If this is not for parking, but service, what type of work are you planning to do?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Note you need more than 4" of concrete thickness in the floor in order to have a post-based lift. Scissor lifts are fine for this depth.

Chad
Old 01-10-2005, 03:26 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a two post Rotary lift in a warehouse - there's just no way one would work in a home garage, unless it was specifically designed for it. You must have a six inch floor, about 12 feet of height, and no interference with the open garage door. Believe me, if I thought my home garage would accomodate them, I would have a Rotary 2 and 4 post at home in a heartbeat.

Steve
99 996
Old 01-10-2005, 04:00 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dpblessing
What is your ceiling hieght, and what type of garage door do you have?
What is the clear hieght when the door is open (if it is an overhead door)?
Is this to park 2 cars, or to work on one car?
If this is not for parking, but service, what type of work are you planning to do?
Ok lets see:

Douple car garage with width 20 feet and lenght 21 feet. I do not know the thickness of the concrete but would imagine it to be at least 4-6 inches. The hieght of the garage is probably 15 feet. The overhead door, two single doors, are 9 feet above concrete and 6 below ceiling.

I was hoping to get a lift that would accomodate my car and a smaller car below it when the lift is up.

There was a guy on this forum who showed pictures of his new garage and I believe he had the lift I was looking for......I will try to do a search and see if I can find it.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2005, 04:03 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

I found the thread..........it was titled " Eeeet's ALIIIIIIVE!! (More New Garage Pics, with POWER!) " but unfortunately the pictures do not seem to be there any longer.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2005, 04:30 PM
hayaku
Advanced

what are you intending to do with your lift? sounds like you have great ceiling clearance. i have a 9 foot ceiling with a cross beam, making my max useable height 8'6" or so. I have a 2 post low clearance lift in my 3 car garage installed in the 2 car bay. most garage slabs are 4" of 3000 psi concrete by building code. i do all the work on my cars so maximum clearance was necessary for me and opted for a 2 post lift with assymetrical arms.

if you are looking for double-decker parking and really light maintenance work, the 4 post lift is your best bet. you can add rolling jacks to this to lift the car off the ramp/rails and do wheel/brake/suspension work but its very costly for all the accessories to do this. 4 post lifts do not need to be anchored to the floor, making it very easy to install... some even have a castor lifting system to move it around.

if you are looking for something that stays out of the way, maybe even portable (somewhat) and can drive over and not lose any garage space, the scissor lift is your choice.

if you are wrenching on your car like a grease monkey then you want the maximum clearance you can get... 2 post lift. drop the engine/tranny, exhaust, anything... its wide open.

all lift manufacturers will customize their lift for your needs... just need to call them. several of them have low ceiling models (which i have)
Old 01-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Poe
AutoX

These folk could be a lower cost alternative: http://kwiklift.com/commercial.htm
however, I’m not sure it would that that much more height than stands but would be a bit more convenient.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Make sure to carefully cover your lower car...as various fluid leaks from the lifted car can cause all sorts of corrosive, staining issues etc. AK
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2005, 10:30 AM
RWO
Burning Brakes

I have a lift in my garage. It's a www.backyardbuddy.com lift. When I did the research, most of the 4 post lift manufacturers say that you do not need a special floor for the lift. In my case, I was pouring a new slab so I had it upgraded anyway. Several of the 4 post lifts have large floor pads, the ones on my lift are 12x12 inch. In addition, I have the www.kiwitile.com flooring so that also dissipates the weight over a larger area...

All of the lift companies offer drip trays so that you don't have to cover the car below the lift.

As to the door, you can go with a coil spring lift (most garage doors use pull springs) and raise the door to the roof. My door is about 4 inches from the roof...

Good luck.

Roy
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=hayaku]what are you intending to do with your lift? sounds like you have great ceiling clearance. i have a 9 foot ceiling with a cross beam, making my max useable height 8'6" or so. I have a 2 post low clearance lift in my 3 car garage installed in the 2 car bay. most garage slabs are 4" of 3000 psi concrete by building code. i do all the work on my cars so maximum clearance was necessary for me and opted for a 2 post lift with assymetrical arms.[QUOTE]

Hayaku - Send some pics. That sounds great!

C.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

I installed a Worth 7,000 pound capacity lift. I have used is for about a month now on 3 seperate cars. I got it from Northern Tool. I like it a lot.

Little more info: My ceiling height is around 9 feet of usable space as measured fron the I beam you see above the center of the shop. The concrete floor is about 4 inches thick and seems to be sufficient for the load requirements. I have had my 4 door Tahoe on the lift for a brake job, No problem. The lift hydraulic motor is a 220 volt, single phase.

this is the specific lift: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...26123&R=126123

I did the install myself. special tools needed were a concrete hammer drill with a 3/4 inch bit. I used the bucket of my tractor to get the uprights standing, and a sludge hammer to nudge them into exact position. Otherwise you need some wrenches to assemble, and a bit of 220 volt wiring know-how and a good level......

Last edited by Gretch; 01-11-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:35 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is a nice pic
Old 01-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Dooya think yoo have reserved too much space for the BMW?...............??

Quick Reply: Garage Lifts