Sponsored by:

Garage Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 06:57 PM
hayaku
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Hayaku - Send some pics. That sounds great!

C.
Here's some pics of my garage.... a work in progress.. it looks quite different now with more organized storage... please excuse the mess and super fast hot rod bikes you see

i need a bigger garage...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Gretch
Dooya think yoo have reserved too much space for the BMW?...............??

Unless it is a BMW Motorcycle...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by wormdoggy
Ok lets see:

Douple car garage with width 20 feet and lenght 21 feet. I do not know the thickness of the concrete but would imagine it to be at least 4-6 inches. The hieght of the garage is probably 15 feet. The overhead door, two single doors, are 9 feet above concrete and 6 below ceiling.

I was hoping to get a lift that would accomodate my car and a smaller car below it when the lift is up.

There was a guy on this forum who showed pictures of his new garage and I believe he had the lift I was looking for......I will try to do a search and see if I can find it.

Cheers

Do check the concrete thickness and specs on the floor... Unless you specified the thickness it will not be what is needed and the specs (I think 4,000) is not what they use as standard spec for normal garages... It is an easy fix, cut a 30"x30" hole on each side (see your install guide for the specifics in the model you select) use a few rebars, 4,000 psi reinforce concrete, 6 inch thick and you are done.

Last step is to take photos and share the process with the folks here
Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 PM
hayaku
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Do check the concrete thickness and specs on the floor... Unless you specified the thickness it will not be what is needed and the specs (I think 4,000) is not what they use as standard spec for normal garages... It is an easy fix, cut a 30"x30" hole on each side (see your install guide for the specifics in the model you select) use a few rebars, 4,000 psi reinforce concrete, 6 inch thick and you are done.

Last step is to take photos and share the process with the folks here

specs for most 2 post lift is 4" thick 3000 psi concrete. most building code requires that for the slab. most houses built in the last 10-15 years will have this. 2 post lifts require more strength from the slab then a 4 post or scissor lift.

i did pretty intensive research on lifts before i bought mine. called every single manufacturer and talked at length with their engineers for home use installs...
Old 01-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Mitty
Racer

For those of us with "normal sized" garages:

Thread

-Darren
Old 01-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Darren, I am astounded that that unit will pick up a 3,500 pound car.....I sure would not crawl around under the car I can say that much......maybe I could be convinced otherwise................

BTW the Worth was $2,800 delivered, and came completely assembled except for the cables.

Last edited by Gretch; 01-17-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:24 PM
hayaku
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gretch
Darren, I am astounded that that unit will pick up a 3,500 pound car.....I sure would not crawl around under the car I can say that much......maybe I could be convinced otherwise................
on the contrary, thats a 6000 lb scissor lift with automatic locks... very nice and expensive unit...

thats the sane choice for most people who are not willing to give up valuable garage space...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked the thread over on the 993 forum looking for some info on the model but didn't find anything. Also tried the snapon online catalog to no avail. I thought that I looked about everywhere but couldn't find any car lifts; found engine hoists & dolleys but no scissor lift. Anyone know the model &/or price estimates for that Snapon lift?

thanks,
kristap
Old 01-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Mitty
Racer

Snap-On Lift, Mid-Rise (Electric) Stock#: EELR338AP
Old 01-13-2005, 01:21 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, Mitty! Silly me - should have looked under 'A' for above ground lift. Regardless, thanks for the pointer.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Mitty
Racer

You're welcome!

Heh, it took me quite a while to find it.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

So Mitty, How do you like it? Do you leave it down and just drive over it when not in use? I'm tempted but it is a little $$$$$$.

Thanks for the post..
Old 01-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Thegman
Banned

Check out gregsmithequipment.com, they have lifts that go from 48" lift to the full hight lifts like a car dealer might use....
Old 01-14-2005, 12:15 AM
steve@oneeyedjackssaloon.com
AutoX

Here's another idea. 6000# portable Bend-Pak lift on sale and free shipping...

http://www.asedeals.com/portable_lift.html
Old 01-14-2005, 01:05 AM
hayaku
Advanced

Originally Posted by steve@oneeyedjackssaloon.com
Here's another idea. 6000# portable Bend-Pak lift on sale and free shipping...

http://www.asedeals.com/portable_lift.html
that thing takes up the space of a car... and its not easily maneuverable as they claim... i've seen it in action at a local garage, they almost rammed it into the car they were trying to work on... for $3500, i could choose much better ways to spend on a lift...

for you guys that aren't willing to give up on garage space and want to save some money, theres a few options:

for this one, you cut the holes in the garage slab for the unit to fit flush with the floor. you will also need to cut a channel from one lift to the next for the hydraulic lines. this is flat and flush with the floor... very nice. it has a capacity for 6000 lbs. it goes for about $1800 for just parts. bendpak p-6 flush mount pit lift.

this is a surface mount pit lift that you drive over. its not portable either, like the one above. for install, you just bolt it down. but you need to handle the hydraulic line that goes in between. like above, you can cut a channel in the floor for it or you can get a metal tunnel to cover it. it also lifts 6000 lbs. it also goes for about $1800. bendpak p-6 pit lift.

and finally the fully portable version of the p6. this of course does not have the clearance down the center aisle. it is movable and based on the same p6 design with 6000 lb capacity. it goes for less then $1400. bendpak lr-60p.

and then there are scissor lifts. this one goes for about $1500. it is portable like the snapon one and handles 6000 lbs also. bendpak md-6xp

i am not affiliated with bendpak. they make a great lift and are in use by several large shops with great reliability and reputation. i have an autolifters 2 post lift. all of the prices i quoted are from www.gesusa.com

edit: the software on this forum can't handle images dynamically called... hmmmm.. just click on the picture links to see what it looks like.

Last edited by hayaku; 01-14-2005 at 04:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Garage Lifts