Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Finally got my car back after 2 months in the shop! and back to the shop it goes..

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Bob, I had the tranny replaced on my (former) 99 cab (under warranty) due to whining noises in first gear. When it returned, I found it a little bit more difficult to shift (kind of notchy) and it did pop out of gear a couple of time initially. I'd give it a little chance to break in before panicking over it. Also, and this may sound simplistic, make sure you are pushing the clutch all the way to the floor when you are putting it in gear as the 996 gearbox seems to have a tendency to pop out of gear if you don't. I've had numerous 911s and never had one pop out of gear the way the 996 did. It did it before the gearbox was replaced, as well. I adjusted to it eventually, and remember, you've only driven the car a little since you've owned it ;-)

The car I had was a great one but after the gearbox problem and the first RMS leak, I sold it. It wasn't a lemon, as yours appears to be, but didn't seem to have the same bulletproof feel that the older 911s I've owned had, so I wound up in another 993. I was very happy that I purchased the 996 from a Porsche dealer and had the certified warranty, though.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 12-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,
Honestly mate I feel terribly sorry for the pain you have gone thru with your 996. I too have had pain with mine. I know exactly how you feel and despite all this it still goes on. You have my full support and sympathy and I fully agree with everything you have said. I can fully understand your frustration and you wanting to vent off here. It's not right and one day I feel certain (and hope) that PAG will be bitten by the hand that feeds them.

But......mate...., your postings are becoming too repetitive. You're just baiting arguments with posters using the same comments in multiple postings and it isn't doing neither you or the Forum any good. You would gain more respect and do yourself more justice if you just ignored the negative postings and bite your tongue with them. If your going to respond, a one-or-two line response is fine but we don't need a repetitive running lengthy comment telling the same story over and over again. We all know by now about all your engine/gearbox and other problems and your warranty (envy). So let's not hear of them again and again and again forver more. I truly hope you don't take this offensively.

Happy Xmas to you and I truly wish that the new year brings you a lot more luck than this one did with your Porker.
Cheers,
Old 12-15-2004, 12:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I wonder, how many guys on this board bought their cars on used car lots or at auction without proper PPI as Bob has elluded to. I'll bet not many.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:38 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as mistakes goes, everyone makes mistakes but how many mistakes must be made until you learn from it?? You are foolish to even deal with this on your mind everyday. You should take that thing back to the dealership you got it worked on and trade it in for another one, pay the difference and have the warranty transfer to the new car if allowed. Like 996FLT6 said, shoulda sold that thing after the first engine replacement. Forgot who said this but, "Only a$$holes dont learn from their mistakes."---pardon my french.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:42 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vove, would you like to pay for the $15,000 in modifications i originally added to the car when I first bought it which have absolutely no trade-in value? so if i do that again, another $15,000... which basically, makes another $30,000 lost... doesn't seem too logical imho, since i'm now in a situation where i won't be paying for any further repairs again...
Old 12-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

for the finance types - and not making light of your situation bob - welcome to a case of the sunk cost fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost
Old 12-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

When I said cut your loses, Bob, I meant "cut your loses". I don't think you hear or read too well. Maybe that's why you're in the pickle you're in. You keep trying to fix something that should be pretty obvious by now to anyone with any grain of sense is unfixable. Sell the car for what it is, a piece of junk lemon to anyone who wants the challenge of owning such a car. Consider yourself lucky if anyone offers ANY amount of money, as it will save your sorry butt from any further costs. Or leave it in the garage as a testimonial to what not to do in life, to teach anyone willing to listen. And willing to learn. One can only hope that includes you, Bob.

I want to stop looking at his posts, but I can't seem to stop. It's like watching a man try chew his arm off because his fingers are stuck in a door. You try to tell him to just open the door and release the fingers, and when he won't, you just watch in morbid fascination to see how far he will actually be able to chew through his arm.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
vove, would you like to pay for the $15,000 in modifications i originally added to the car when I first bought it which have absolutely no trade-in value? so if i do that again, another $15,000... which basically, makes another $30,000 lost... doesn't seem too logical imho, since i'm now in a situation where i won't be paying for any further repairs again...
if ur actually never gonna hafta spend a dime (no parts no labour no nothing) till ur warenty runs out in a couple o years...u mite as well drive the snot out of it till then. Sell it now, you prolly won't get ****, sell it later, still won't get **** so might as well. Maybe part it out after two years or whenever ur warenty's start to expire.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Palting that last post was hilarious. Mike
Old 12-15-2004, 08:51 PM
paneraiwatches
Instructor

Thumbs up

LOL LOL

Originally Posted by Palting
When I said cut your loses, Bob, I meant "cut your loses". I don't think you hear or read too well. Maybe that's why you're in the pickle you're in. You keep trying to fix something that should be pretty obvious by now to anyone with any grain of sense is unfixable. Sell the car for what it is, a piece of junk lemon to anyone who wants the challenge of owning such a car. Consider yourself lucky if anyone offers ANY amount of money, as it will save your sorry butt from any further costs. Or leave it in the garage as a testimonial to what not to do in life, to teach anyone willing to listen. And willing to learn. One can only hope that includes you, Bob.

I want to stop looking at his posts, but I can't seem to stop. It's like watching a man try chew his arm off because his fingers are stuck in a door. You try to tell him to just open the door and release the fingers, and when he won't, you just watch in morbid fascination to see how far he will actually be able to chew through his arm.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:38 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

If it ever runs again, I would be parking that thing everywhere with the window open, doors unlocked and key in ignition. Oops.

I am now curious what the next thread will be? We've had: Motor, trans, fires, next maybe brake failure coming down a hill! Anyway, Palting, I am guessing the whole arm.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

leave it in a shady part of town so someone jacks it...insurence'll buy u a shiney new 996...win win..
Old 12-16-2004, 01:23 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

palting, you're hillarious.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:05 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm not venting anymore, no need for that.. i'm over it... if anything, i find it funny to see all these things go wrong over and over again... just smiling at it all, now that i'm "fully 100% warrantied"... i'm just sure there are many curious of my 996 saga... just keeping you all informed... and for those that don't care or don't want to hear... remember you don't have to read these posts..
oh and btw... well there's more good news.. I was driving tonight and the check engine light came on.. maybe another new engine for me out of porsche's pocket book
i'm not mad or anything, and like I said i'm keeping the car... there's nothing like having a 100% warrantied 996 with a $0 deductible.. as said before, maybe after 11 or so engines, porsche will offer to buy the car back and pay all my repair bills to avoid having to pay $100ks of thousands a year to fix the car :>

i learned a good lesson from it all... it costs me a few dollars in the end... but live and learn...

in terms of reading those posts, even though you don't want to, i completely agree... hey, atleast they are entertaining to see the saga unfold? otherwise you wouldn't read them now, would ya?

i actually have no more anger in it anymore, now that i'm not paying for anything.. I haven't invested a cent in this car in 2 months (but then again it's been in the shop for 2 months) i'll just see how much can go wrong, that i don't have to pay for... kind of like my little pet project.. who knows, it may pay off, and I may end up having a nice case with a lawyer and get reimbursed for the $33,000 I put into it if I keep it up? it could happen...

i'll just have to drop it off at the local porsche dealer, and let them deal with it.. i have three other reliable cars to drive... i'm kind of curious to see how high i can rack up the repair costs for porsche.... they didn't help me before.. so now it's their turn around to pay... what comes around goes around.. i have 2 years on this engine warrantied.. so we'll see how many engines i can rack up.. aiming for the record right now.. bets anyone?

sometimes in life, when it throws you a curve ball, you just have to live, learn and laugh at it all.. and that's what i've learned to do with it all... after all, it's just a car.. not gonna stress about it, as long as i'm not paying $15,000 here, and $10,000 there, every hundred miles....

with $43,000 in repair costs already in 1,100 miles, I figure that comes out to $430,000 a year in repairs if I drive the car 10,000 miles a year... porsche north america might want to cut their losses on this one and give me a nice check... who knows we'll see what happens...

of course, if things get really bad, i could always send all these service documents to porsche north america in a letter and tell them i'm going to send a copy of my service history to all automobile magazines unless they buy my car back and pay for all my modifications and repairs.. that's another option as well... either way, i'm not gonna let porsche win on this one.. they screwed me over with their faulty lemon... and i'm gonna keep the car and see what happens...

oh and for those that don't believe all this could possibly happen, next time i visit the porsche dealer, i'm gonna ask for a service history print out, and i'll scan it in for you all to see... i know it sounds ridiculously unbelievable, even though a fellow rennlister backed me up... but i'm sure a few would like to see the real life documents themselves...

well.. on that note, i'm off for some christmas shopping...

Last edited by bobporsche996; 12-16-2004 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:05 AM
keoni1978
Instructor

So basically you spent $43,000 and how ever much to buy that POS and you get to enjoy for how many miles?!?!?! 1,100 MILES....I be pissed!! Why spend all that money for it to sit in the shop? Sell it and get another pre-owned or whatever from a Porsche dealer. Dont be cheap this time.

Quick Reply: Finally got my car back after 2 months in the shop! and back to the shop it goes..