Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Finally got my car back after 2 months in the shop! and back to the shop it goes..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004 | 07:19 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Man, you're not "stubborn". This is beyond stubborn. This is even beyond stupid, beyond insane. You have to be a devout masochist to do what you're doing. You know the car you bought is a piece of crap lemon, you've been told a multitude of times to cut your loses, yet you keep banging your head against the wall and then complain when you get a headache. What are you looking for? Sympathy? Help? You've gone beyond that. You're beginning to be like the mother who keeps giving poison to her child then rushes the child to the hospital expecting to get sympathy for getting such a sickly child.

I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm with the others here. You come near my car or anything that belongs to me, and I'll beat your head to a pulp. No more headaches for you after that.
Old 12-14-2004 | 07:25 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

You guys shouldn't be so rough with Bob. He's had the worse luck of any Porsche owner EVER! The dealership should do something for him, but they won't. I know it is difficult to fathom and I have never known of any Porsche to give this kind of trouble, but anyone in a service industry of any kind for long enough, has seen those customers where everything that could go wrong does go wrong. If it weren't true, there would be no Murphy's law. Bob's real dilemma is, Porsche is not a service industry. It is a passion.
Old 12-14-2004 | 07:32 PM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Bob;

Did you buy your car used, what MY?
If you did where did you buy and what kind of due diligence did you perform?
Old 12-14-2004 | 07:35 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Bob your frightening me......

On Jan 6 I am driving over to Belgium to have my tranny replaced. I found a place over there that is "the" getrag G96 rebuilder for Porsche AG. But I am driving it 450 miles and I am praying that it will be right once replaced. I hate to think of driving all the way back and its another duffer. I guess I should stay another day and kick it around a bit.

WHy am I driving all the way to Belgium? Because I have tried and tried to get one here in the UK for less than $7000! Even a used one would cost me $6000. But I can get a fully refurbished one with 2 yrs warranty in Belgium for half the price.
Old 12-14-2004 | 10:02 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Talking

it's a 99 cab, bought it with 49k miles about a year ago, i'm at 50k miles now... it's an auction car, got every part checked out before i bought it, carfaxed it, etc.. no problems found... drove it home.. and that's when the fun began... (i suppose if one finds house of a 1000 corpses by rob zombie a funny movie, it's fun..)

scouser,

well if it has a 2 year warranty, then i suppose it's not that bad... all i know is my car is covered with the absolute max extended warranty possible from the most reputable and long standing warranty company i could find with a $0 deductible with full 100% towing coverage.. no expense spared.... expensive? yes very for a warranty.... but for me.. worth it.. every dime...

it's easy to tell me to sell this car... so what do i do when the person asks me if i've had any problems?

palting, would you like me to sell this car to your relatives or your friends? I have ethics, and the fact is, you criticize me, yet you want me to sell it, so some poor unfortunate guy that has always dreamed of having a porsche, will have his dreams crushed along with his pocket book... that's even if I can sell it.. disclosure law requires me to indicate everything that's went wrong with the car when asked, which of course everyone will ask...

would you buy a car from a guy that tells you he's had repair bills of $56,000 in 1,100 miles of owning their car? answer that one.. and sorry, I can't lie about this either, it's all in the porsche computer system...

and guess what if i do... i can smell larry lawyer in his jcpenny suit knocking at my door a week later when the gearbox falls out from under the new owner on the freeway and causes him to swerve out of control into a center divider... causing him a skull fracture...

the fact is i'm in bed with this german creation... i've accepted that... all i asked from it.. is 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year of pleasurable driving.. is that to much to ask dear porsche gods?

after that may you die a fiery death off a cliff.... (aren't i sentimental)

regardless, i called my dealer to confirm.. i'm gonna do some more test driving tonight... and if it does it again, i'll just bring it in and have the tranny replaced.. again... no cost to me, covered under the 2yr porsche warranty...

not a big deal like i said... just upsetting, that's all... but in a way, i'm actually glad to finally have costed porsche money... the money for the transmission will now be coming out of the pocket of "porsche" and the money for the fourth tranny, fifth tranny, 10th engine, and so on... :>

maybe after awhile, and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars fixing my car, they might offer to buy it back from me and pay me for all i've put into it.. hey, it could happen :> and with my luck.. when I say 10th engine, as sarcastic as that sounds, it doesn't even seem out of the realm of reason with my vehicle.. all I can say is.. porsche 2 year extended warranty on all $45,000+ in parts and labor they've recently replaced.. time to take back some of that hard earned money first comes the transmission.. let's see what they'll have to pay for next...

and what happens next... i suppose we'll just have to see... i suppose my car could act in a soap... it would fit in well with all those dysfunctional beautiful characters with a sh*tload of problems... maybe one of the actors could drive it and die in it when it catches on fire.. or a rod comes out of the engine through the hood, in through the windshield and beheads one of the soap stars..

Last edited by bobporsche996; 12-14-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2004 | 10:45 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Bob porsche gets my vote for poster of the year. I doubt there has ever been a new member create so many replies and views as bobby.........................

Maybe you should check into an ejection seat so when your car finally goes up in flames you can shoot yourself out of the sunroof!

Hope 05 is better for you in Porscheland
Old 12-14-2004 | 10:59 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

hey bob,
do u have the carbon fiber shifter, ebrake or center consol trim? wanna trade for some aluminium pieces? or will my instruments start to short out as i inherit ur bad luck?

(seriously tho, if u have any factory cf pieces, let me know)

with all the problems ur car's been having it sounds like porsche has just stopped trying and is just giving you leftover warentee return parts so u can use them untill they blow up (hey, its cheaper then hauling them to the dump )
Old 12-14-2004 | 11:20 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Bob, your shifter linkages may just need to be adjusted. Why would the dealer not test drive the car after installing the new tranny? They should have caught this...
Old 12-14-2004 | 11:35 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Bob,
If you hold onto that POS, you deserve everything that IS going to happen to it in the future. Sell it as is on ebay, somebody will buy it.
Feel free (maybe that's the wrong term) to join the board since you use it so much.
Good luck
Old 12-14-2004 | 11:56 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

thanks for the insight, i'll ask them about the linkage.. they said they test drove it and it was fine... we'll see, haven't had a chance to try driving it again tonight...

so c4suregon,

do you believe it is ethically right for me to sell the vehicle on ebay to some unsuspecting buyer as a perfectly working porsche 996? I don't know your ethics, but I would never sleep at night knowing I did, not to mention law requires full disclosure if someone asks.. and who isn't going to ask "so what's the history on it?" if i'm not honest, i'll be drowning in debt from a lawsuit... not to mention potential criminal implications if someone gets injured or hurt from my actions...

do you propose i trade it in or sell it "as is" and lose another $10,000? no thank you, i'm covered now, and won't have to pay anything else... everytime it breaks down, porsche or my extenteded warranty company is paying for it... (although preferabbly out of the pockets of porsche), out of their greedy little pockets, thank you very much...

Old 12-15-2004 | 12:20 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

No Bob, sell it as is means just that. Tell them everything, they can carfax the rest. That's where you'll get your biggest audience(on ebay).
So why don't you fork up the 20$ and join?
Later
Old 12-15-2004 | 01:22 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Back to the question. Not sure if the shifter linkages would affect it. But my 04 Targa tranny started popping out of 2nd gear shortly after I got the car new. They sad it was a bad synchro and put a new tranny in, no problems after that. I heard that around 2002-2003 there were a bad batch of 996 trannys made because a subcontractor supplied bad synchros, though that was never officially confirmed. Other than that, I have never had a tranny problem with any of my Porsches and I understand these transmissions typically are very strong and long lasting. For that matter, I have never had any real problems with any of my Porsches.

Bob, your story is utterly incredible, and I know you get pestered because it is almost unbelievable, but you have my sympathy!
Old 12-15-2004 | 02:37 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

I'm puzzeled why you still keep the beast. If half of what you have gone thru were to have happened to me, I'd roll that puppy off of a cliff or give it to the Salvation Army. Surgeon gave you good advice...not another penny should go into that car.

Jim
Old 12-15-2004 | 05:17 AM
keoni1978
Instructor

Bob, I must say you are the dumbest rich guy. I just dont understand your logic what so ever. If you have money and are such an expert on cars, why in the world would you buy a P car from a ford Dealership are you trying to save some money?? And instead of selling that POS when you realize its a lemon, you insist on putting more money into it and try to replace all the major components. After spending close to $50k it is still a 1999 POS and how much did you save now?!?!. Dont mean to flame you but I just think someone needs to knock some sense into you There is a difference between having money and being an absolute moron
Old 12-15-2004 | 08:45 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

keoni, as said, several times, i didn't pay for the first tranny replacement, nor will i need to pay for any additional repairs... i have everything completely warrantied.. i'm not putting another penny into the vehicle... that's what warranties are for, and one can be rest assured i will be using my warranty often... that has a $0 deductible.. porsche will receive no more money from me.. end of story.

also I never said I was a "rich guy" (or an expert on cars either) I simply bought the vehicle as a fourth car, convertible for the summer for 2-3k miles a year of driving.. I didn't see the sense in buying a new model, when I wouldn't even be driving it except on rare weekends... so I didn't anticipate such problems with a 5 year old car that checked out perfectly with 49k miles.. by a car rated as the most reliable sports car out there.. would you?

the whole ford dealership issue is ridiculous.. it's an auction car, and one of their guys working there bought it on put it on their lot... it's an auction car, and i got a great deal on it... the ford issue is irrelevant... many people on this board have purchased their car from used lots, where the owners bought their cars from auctions, or from individuals without any previous history... are they dumb as well? would it have been any better if the car was sitting on the owners exotic car lot next to a ferrari modena bought at auction? geez...

you guys seem to think I knew this was going to happen to my car... if i knew that, do you really think I would have bought it in the first place? after owning over 20 cars, i could never conceivably imagine a car to have this many problems.. i thought it HAD to stop... I just can't understand how a vehicle can have so many problems, especially when checked out 100% without any problems...

once again, there will be no more of my money put into this car.. the repair figure I indicated is simply the cost incurred already.. i've put about $37,000 of my money into the car including the warranty in maintenance in a thousand miles..(which is mostly the cost for the 2 engine replants) the other $20k isn't my money.. warranty/insurance money...

Quick Reply: Finally got my car back after 2 months in the shop! and back to the shop it goes..