Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

JD Power Survey - "Porsche has 159 Problems per 100 Vehicles" ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 02:04 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JD Power Survey - "Porsche has 159 Problems per 100 Vehicles" ???

"I was reading an article that the latest JD Powers survey showed Porsche had
159 problems per 100 vehicles, according to their Initial Quality Study. That
compares with 117 problems in 2003."

I'm a bit confused... I thought JD Power ranked porsche as the #1 most reliable
sports car... with these figures, that doesn't seem to correspond with those
figures...

Also, does this mean that problems are mounting as the years continue on
older models, such as 99s?, going from 117 probs per 100 in 2003 to 159
probs per 100 in 2004 sofar including all model years ever, or just for the
boxster, 996, or what?

Anyone more knowledgable on JD Power care to explain some of this to
me?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all because of the pepper, and induhvidualz like yourself.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 AM
keoni1978
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should just sell your P-car and call it a day
Old 12-03-2004, 06:01 AM
munro86
Racer

Listen Bob, get off this forum-What is it with you? Do you spend all your waking hours looking for negative Porsche information to support your moronic theories? Please go to the nearest Psychiatrist immediately, you have a serious mental imbalance- I reckon you must have some sort of filter on the brain that rejects anything other than what you want to hear. You purchased a dud and spent a gazillion dollars paying for your stupidity. Which makes me wonder, where did you get all this money? It could not have been through any ingenuity or acumen on your part. Stop this nonsense please-people here are just humouring you because they know you don't have both oars in the water. Give it a break-tedious doesn't even come close. Your a bit confused-your darn tootin!!
Old 12-03-2004, 08:27 AM
jbdmd
Pro

bob

for more info on jd powers go here:
http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/index.jsp#

no dis intended here guys but....
Bob posts about 1 post to every 5-10 responses
lets say bob really is just trying to 'stir things up' or just 'be negative'...to the causal observer it seems to me that most of the forum pollution is coming from the replies not the orginal posts.

If his comments bug people so much why not just stop responding to him. or just PM him?
otherwise it seems to me that you just want everyone to here you be negative...or perhaps you are going after bob b/c he is just an easy target...since so many others have gone after him...if so that is really disappointing

Bob, for what its worth I have no real opinion regarding your posts I am just trying to answer what seemed like a reasonable question to me.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Initial quality and reliability are two different things. The first has to do with any problems that you found or encountered when you first picked up the car. JD Powers rates reliability over different time periods. Porsche's seem to have little/big things go out that need fixed. My car had to have its stereo/nav system replaced and now the passenger window switch is broken.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:07 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't read the latest JD Power initial quality survey, but according to a past survey Porsche's reliability stats were dragged down by Cayenne's new-model issues. JDP's IQS only deals with owners after 90 days of ownership. According to what we are reading in the 997 threads this could get worse. However I question the significance of initial quality anyway. It's kind of like the fickleness of IPO stocks, but stocks don't come with warranties and it's no fun driving a stock.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I was surprised to see those numbers years ago, when I purchased my acura, which was ranked first and had something like ~120 complaints per 100 vehicles. ???
Old 12-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by munro86
Listen Bob, get off this forum-What is it with you? Do you spend all your waking hours looking for negative Porsche information to support your moronic theories? Please go to the nearest Psychiatrist immediately, you have a serious mental imbalance- I reckon you must have some sort of filter on the brain that rejects anything other than what you want to hear. You purchased a dud and spent a gazillion dollars paying for your stupidity. Which makes me wonder, where did you get all this money? It could not have been through any ingenuity or acumen on your part. Stop this nonsense please-people here are just humouring you because they know you don't have both oars in the water. Give it a break-tedious doesn't even come close. Your a bit confused-your darn tootin!!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:39 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Bob,

Posting just bare numbers like that is not very informative. It's like me telling you that a car scored '10' but not telling you out of what - if it's out of 10 then great, if it's out of 100 then you probably bought it from a Ford dealer

So...in the interests of putting things in a little bit of context I went to the JD Powers site and looked up 3 cars - Porsche 911, BMW 3 Series and a Corvette. Here's what we got:

................. Mechanical Reliability.................Overall Quality
Porsche.................5............................................... .5
BMW.....................2............................................... .3
Corvette................4............................................... .3

I think that basically says it all...
Old 12-03-2004, 01:43 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well done H1!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Tse-Tse
Instructor

Doing the math in my head: That means approx. 1.5 problems per vehicle. I would welcome that as a statistic when choosing a new car. I have easily had double that with my MY2002 M5 which is late in the car's model cycle. Early model year cars (like the new 5, 6 and 7 series from BMW) have many more problems - at least according to the surveys I have seen and the postings on the message boards.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think what is happening is bob is trying to claim he got all 159 problems in his car and the other 99 cars from that hundred were great. But then again, that would say he got a lemon and that is not the case either since ALL porsches must be bad or waiting to be bad at the right time according to him

So 1.5 problems on avg for each of us or 1 car with 159. Either way, sounds like great numbers to me. Either we deal with 1.5 or get a dud and then odds are we are not going to be in a dud a second time (unless the Ford dealer offers another).

Please bob give it a rest or post something uplifting.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:26 PM
itradem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

H1,

To be fair, what scale are you 911, 3-Series, and Vette numbers on???

I like what I see, as long as we are not talking a 10 scale...
Old 12-03-2004, 07:17 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before jumping at me, my loyal fand of bashing followers, including munro86, who seems to post post after post after post, criticizing anyone and everyone that posts anything negative against porsche, (and those are the only posts I have seen from him) looking to jump on anything I have posted... I don't even think he owns a porsche personally...

I was not negating porsche in this post.. I was simply curious as to what this information meant.. I am not to familiar with what the report meant when they indicated 159 problems per 100 vehicles in 2004 vs 117 problems in 2003... as in how are these numbers negated? As in, each vehicle in the past 5 years is reported to have 1.5 problems a year on average or what?

I swear, some of you guys, need to calm down.. this is a forum, and all aspects of the vehicle can be discussed. Positive and negative. I have posted many positive posts, and many negative, as have many others.. if you don't like the question, no need to answer with a negative response, we are all porsche owners, trying to understand and enjoy our vehicles to the best we can. It wasn't an attack towards porsche by any means and simply because i've had bad experiences with my vehicle, now that I have an extended warranty, I can't wait to get it back and start driving it...

Last edited by bobporsche996; 12-03-2004 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: JD Power Survey - "Porsche has 159 Problems per 100 Vehicles" ???