Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

JD Power Survey - "Porsche has 159 Problems per 100 Vehicles" ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe 6k miles/yr (=500 miles/month) is considered average for P cars. Normal mileage for most cars is 10-12k/yr for resale purposes.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That can be supported by non winter use by many (they store). Many are not daily drivers. Ebaker seems right in a broad sense. Pity the guys who get rms leaks after warranty expires and the absurd extended warranty periods of 100,000 mi or two years.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:25 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
I believe 6k miles/yr (=500 miles/month) is considered average for P cars. Normal mileage for most cars is 10-12k/yr for resale purposes.
OOOOOkay now thats more like the number that drive around my city block.

DRIVE THAT THING, Take it out and flog it a little, if it feels good...flog it again!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
I was reading the current issue of DUB magazine at an auto shop the other day... it's in a small blurb titled "Porsche Quality Issues?" it's on one of the first pages of the magazine, although I do not remember the exact page...
There you go. DUB MAGAZINE. Bling Bling! This car aint got no diamonds and the windows aint be rollin' up with voice command! Man, I is gonna sell this piece and gets that fly Escalade. All this talk about sportscars aint what its cracked up to be. Speaking of crack...

If i buy a 911 or other sportscar, its because of what it is and what it does. I expect quirkiness in a car of this nature. Maybe all these complaints come from new exotic owners who have never lived with 60s 70s and 80s sportscars...

Speaking of reliability though, arent like more than 70% of all Porsches made STILL on the road? I know i read that fact somewhere recent... That says plenty on its own.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:28 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

munro86

I never said it's "scary", I was simply inferring that the survey by jd power indicated these figures.. every single one of your post has simply been criticizing other individuals posts, even though they are completely valid. Have you posted a single message to this board that has assisted anyone with any porsche experience of any kind, or is your purpose simply here to make unneccessary all negative comments, which don't assist anyone of any kind? You criticize my negative posts, yet all of your posts are nothing but negative... quite hypocritical I must say so myself...

Many of my posts, may have been negative experienced related, and yes, that is due to my $47,000 in repair bills in 1,100 miles.. which i'm sure any porsche owner would duefully be upset about as well.. regardless, they may save people $15,000 in having to replace an engine.. yet I have indicated countless times how enjoyable the porsche is to drive, and that my experience is very rare in the period they have happened, although my problems are not uncommon by any means in the world of the 996...

..your posts are nothing but useless babblings on other peoples experiences, questions, and opinions about their experience with their vehicles.. which I dont' understand why you insist on posting..

--------

Mmmm....1.5 problems per car. Gee thats scary. I'm not looking forward to sleeping tonight because I just know I'm going to toss and turn worrying about my visor hangar breaking or something catastrophic like that.Thanks Bobby for doing the math, for a minute there I thought you were saying 159 faults per car-then again your car.....wait on I've been told to be nice...but hang-on this is a forum.It would be good if it was all sweetness and light, but reality is not like that.I've always learnt the most by lively discussion,including criticism directed towards me-so it would be a shame if everything was sanitised. The Porsche I have( yes Bob I do have one) has had its share of minor problems (leaking cam covers,spark plug o rings etc) I wasn't thrilled about it but its a car that exists in a physical world with friction, heat, cold etc, so things will,at times, go wrong. It is another matter entirely to posit a notion that a 996 Porsche is a time bomb waiting to explode. So my point is...Bob's tedious banging on about some endemic manufacturing malady afflicting Porsche just cannot be substantiated.The most embarassing thing is seeing him get into a lather thinking "ooh look 159 faults per car-my car was normal after all" when he just got it wrong-is just cringeworthy. I love these cars to death, but not to the point of blindness to the facts.I accept the faults they have, but I will not cobble together some biased myth just because I mistakenly went to a Ford Dealer.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:49 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue S2
If i buy a 911 or other sportscar, its because of what it is and what it does. I expect quirkiness in a car of this nature. Maybe all these complaints come from new exotic owners who have never lived with 60s 70s and 80s sportscars...
Quirks are tolerable as are reliability and maintenance issues that are somewhat above the norm. I would think however that looming RMS issues, engine replacements and routine visits to service are good reasons to make owners and potential owners concerned if not skeptical.

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Speaking of reliability though, arent like more than 70% of all Porsches made STILL on the road? I know i read that fact somewhere recent... That says plenty on its own.
Not sure we can attribute that to reliability. I think the majority of Porsches are pampered and are second- third-car toys. If they were daily drivers that number drops like a rock. Sports cars are collectibles and P cars have proven very collectible, hence the fact that many of them are around today.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:49 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
I love these cars to death, but not to the point of blindness to the facts. I accept the faults they have, but I will not cobble together some biased myth just because I mistakenly went to a Ford Dealer.
That's exactly my attitude and most feel the same way. Ignore the heckling Bob.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

$47,000 in repair bills in 1,100 miles?????????? Wait...did you actually put down 47K outta pocket to repair a "new" car? Or was it in "warranty work" from a car with major failure?
Old 12-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Oh yeah, forgot about the RMS thing...
Old 12-04-2004, 11:06 PM
itradem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, both Motor Trend Long term test cars developed the RMS leak... they wrote it off as no big deal! In their "99 C2, they say that most things were fine, and that they noticed that the car has a small oil leak as they were about to return the car... wonder what that was???

Also, as someone else mentioned, thier '04 C4S was in the shop for an RMS repair that they almost made sound like changing wiper blades!

Now, with that said, I have also had my RMS replaced once at 22k... but otherwise things have been great... much better than my X5... It just gets me a bit hot when a magazine like Motor Trend experiences the main problem that most of us are concerned about (TWICE), and then turns the other cheek!?!
Old 12-05-2004, 04:47 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, meant to say 5000mi/yr. 500 was a typo.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:17 PM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

Originally Posted by itradem
... It just gets me a bit hot when a magazine like Motor Trend experiences the main problem that most of us are concerned about (TWICE), and then turns the other cheek!?!
Perhaps this quote from MT has something to do with it:

" We hope Stuttgart will bring out a 997-platformed C4S as the new model evolves--and sends us one of those, too. "

Do MT and others get their test vehicles gratis?

At least Euro Car Mag has the stones to warn its readers, many of whom buy used cars:

"While this is a warranty fix, it won't be 5 years from now, and at 20k a pop, 3.6-liter Porsche engines aren't cheap."

http://www.europeancarweb.com/longt...9ec_porsche911/

I'm guessing auto makers in general hate long term tests and would rather the mags just take a quick spin and print the marketing release info.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:05 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blue S2,

It's for my 99 cab I picked up about a year ago that had 49k miles on it... no warranty.. .great price.. (at the time) msrp $95k with all the options, picked it up for $39k.. unfortunately in the end i discovered it not to be the best decision... now i have an extended warranty, and all the major parts are replaced, engine, tranny, flywheel, everything down to the clutch is brand new... which are covered by the 2 year porsche warranty, along with a 3rd party extended warranty, so i'm not too concerned anymore for the next 2 years.. after that, this thing will be sold to the highest bidder as soon as possible :>

i've put too much money into it exterior wise, and interior wise to consider selling it now... just plan on enjoying it when I can and on using my $0 extended warranty quite often..

just still waiting for my damn transmission from germany that was supposed to be here by now <grr> car has been in the repair shop for about 260 days and counting out of about 285 days of ownership... sigh.. yes, still upset, but can't wait to get it back oh and also, no rms leak in the 1,100 miles i've had it.. bonus
Old 12-08-2004, 11:14 PM
RCD
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure anyone answered the question. The index is the JD Power initial quality survey. The numbers mean simply this: for every 100 new Porsches purchased in 2003 there were 117 problems reported in the first 90 days. For every 100 Porsches purchased during 2004, there were 159 problems reported in the first 90 days. It is strictly an initial delivery quality measurement, and has no relation to longer term reliability. JD Powers has a separate survey for that.

The increase in initial problems from 2003 to 2004 was reportedly the result of the introduction of the Cayenne, and its associated early teething problems.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I would guess the numbers would jump from 04 to 05. More Peppers sold vs sports cars. Don't be surprized if the numbers jump from 159 to 300-350 per 100. The future for PAG doesn't look good in that arena.

Quick Reply: JD Power Survey - "Porsche has 159 Problems per 100 Vehicles" ???