Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any ideas for a remote or hidden EZ Pass?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any ideas for a remote or hidden EZ Pass?

I was looking to have a remote or hidden EZ Pass for my newly purchased 04 C2. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I checked the archives but found nothing....As usual thanks for all the help with my new purchase...

Dave
Old 11-26-2004, 05:58 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Black velcro tape

One tiny piece on the inside of the windshield will let you easily mount the pass behind your rear view mirror. You won't even be able to see the pass when driving.

Keep the pass in your glovebox the rest of the time and the small velcro tape on your windshield is barely visible from outside the car.

A fully concealed install may not be very reliable as far as the pass sensors are concerned.

You could always do the "drive with the left hand and flash the pass and The Bird with the right hand" method!

Cheers
Old 11-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Gery NJ
Racer

I have it behind rearview mirror. no problem so far...
Old 11-26-2004, 08:28 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here's the answer...

Few people realize that they have an E-Z Pass unit that attaches to the license plate using the same screws. I have them on all of my cars. If you’d like I will post a photo. Actually, look at my avatar, you can see a hint of it.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, get the one that attaches to your license plate, or just keep it in your glovebox and wave it when you are goin through the toll.

i wonder if the unit can be mounted inside the bumper? or does it need line of sight,

i been meaning to get an EZpass for years, for some reason i'm too lazy to fill out the form
Old 11-26-2004, 09:41 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Moogle
i wonder if the unit can be mounted inside the bumper? or does it need line of sight,
Actually, I think it can be mounted inside the bumper, that is if you're not too lazy.

Old 11-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have it mounted under my rearview mirror with the suction cups. I bought a black holder and spray painted the ezpass black... you can't see it at all
Old 11-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for the ideas.....Looking at the bumper right now.......

Dave
Old 11-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

EZPass doesnt like it when you custom install your pass into your sunvisor.... Im thinking that the pass might need to be pressed against the windshield or VERY close to it...
Old 11-29-2004, 01:26 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Also, remember that it cannot be a permanent install. I have had EZ pass for several years and just recently they sent me a manditory replacement, right out of the blue.

The catch is that you MUST return your old tag (as a tag), or you get charged and they make things all very difficult, even if its late. This I found out as I was driving to South Carolina this past week!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:01 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

I've had the alternate EZ Pass unit on my license plate for three years. IIRC the instructions said it can be installed hidden under the hood. The problem with this is that sometimes the toll gates don't work and they have to scan it with a hand-held device. I would think this means means going through the hassle of getting out of the car and popping the hood. Putting it on the license plate is the easiest and least intrusive way as far as I can see.

(Adds weight to the front end too )
Old 11-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I keep mine in the storage compartment between the seats and throw it up on the dash when I need it, then it goes back into storage.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:20 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

The units used in Virginia (and maybe in other states) have a battery that dies after 5 years, so they have to be replaced. I had mine painted black and Velcro'd to the dash, where it was hard to see and worked great, but when the battery died and I took it in for a new one they said they couldn't re-use it, and charged me $35 to replace it.

Guess what? The new one is now painted black and Velcro'd to the dash!

=Carlos=
Old 12-01-2004, 04:02 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

The California units are too large to place on the rear of the rear view mirror. I covered mine with grey fabric and set it in the rear window deck. It works fine there, and blends in with the carpet. Might be a problem if you have metallic tinted windows .
Old 12-01-2004, 05:27 AM
darkvoltage
Intermediate

Rather than using black paint, a wide piece of electrician's tape may be more suitable insofar as it would be removable. Best to conceal it at least that much as it may get stolen.

Quick Reply: Any ideas for a remote or hidden EZ Pass?